The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 hours ago, mll said:

Do you have his quote?

All I heard is that they were going to try and bring in complementary pieces.  It sounded very different from last year where now the focus seems to be about development.  Linden told Willis that Boeser is expected to spend time in Utica next year - they want to develop players there and they will only make the team if they are ready.  

Sorry not all that tech savvy. heard JB say it about a week before the season was done. on 1040

8 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Highlighted areas

1. Who your daddy played for doesn't mean you have hockey knowledge bud, my dad was an architect, it doesn't make me an expert on architecture  - your comments dictate your knowledge nothing else

2. Never said anything about Gretzky and  are you really comparing Patrick and Hirchier to Gretz? LOL by implication that IS your argument - oh my

3. No, Hirschier is not Bigger than sutter LOL look it up not going to waste my time giving it to you since you keep posting nonsense and incorrect information. And there's also something called 'man strength' which clearly you ignore even on Patrick who again has been oft injured by JUNIOR Players  - thus leading to a view that he may be better served to take a year to gain more man strength much like Juolevi  - and clearly Hirchier needs that year - just because you have the talent to play doesn't mean its smart to play a guy in the NHL right away

4. Pulijarvi was my point - bigger, better, faster than both of those players top 3 last year would be first over all this year no brainer and he is in the AHL - now that's a comp son not gretzky

Sorry you lose-seems I  to have to repeat myself since you cant comprehend the idea that you lost the debate -sigh

toodles

my mistake I thought you said gretz it was getz either way all you want to do is pick a fight so let's just see how things end up. And when did I compare Gretz to them. please show me And my Dad rip did not play for them all I said was he was friends  with them you enjoy making up thing or turning things around go do it to someone else 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

my mistake I thought you said gretz it was getz either way all you want to do is pick a fight so let's just see how things end up. And when did I compare Gretz to them. please show me And my Dad rip did not play for them all I said was he was friends  with them you enjoy making up thing or turning things around go do it to someone else 

you compared them to gretz by saying gretz went straight to the oilers from th WHA - it was your example = comparison

agree lets move on

41 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Every goal he has scored came off the left side.  I truly believe the Canucks have been misusing him.  Even in Junior, majority of his goals came on his offwing.

Not sure why they are forcing him to the right side.

he looks good in the first video. i'm excited for his year next season. hoping for many more goals from Jake with regards to his AHL development and growth. 

I think if Green is head coach, he will probably use Jake on the left side more often next season. Assuming of course he makes the team. 

Edited by N4ZZY

Thanks for the Highlights Video.

After watching it I don't see how anyone can deny the potential Virtanen has to be exactly the kind of player we all would love to have on the team.

He has speed, he has a a deadly shot that he just need to get more consistent, his hands are far from made of stone and his passing while it can use work is not sub pro level by any means. Yes he could use to pull up and look to make a play at times, or hold onto the puck a second longer or a second less but that will come with time. This was his first year of true development since his draft year.

Lets also not forget one of his biggest potential assets to this team. Toughness, I loved the play where as the ref blew the whistle he shoved the player to the ice that was looking to get into his face like he weighed all of 25 pounds.

A player who drives to the net and creates havoc is invaluable come playoff time when teams start to check and close lanes even faster than during the regular season.

I hope he continues to progress and learn what it takes to be a pro, even if he takes one more year in the AHL to fully put it all together the wait will be more than worth it.

If Virtanen does indeed put things together and makes the team ( even as a third liner ) and is able to throw a few hits akin to the one he did on McDavid at the youngstars tourney people will forget about Ehlers and Nylander rather quickly.

Edited by R35Godz1lla
  • Upvote 3

The biggest problem when it comes to projecting Jake is that he is a player that can be neutralized if he's on a poor line.  With some decently skilled linemates, he will open up space like few in the NHL can do.  It's going to be like scoring in junior for some of the skilled guys that get to play with him at the NHL level.

Good on him for working hard and putting together the defensive part of his game while down in Utica.

• Upvote 1

He has unreal speed. If he uses that conscientiously on the forecheck and backcheck he could be a Grade A puckhound. 

A lot of the time he'd put the defense on their heels, but there was just no teammate to back him up. He gains the zone so quickly. Could be a unique brand of powerforward if he has the right support. 
Was hoping to see some hits though.

I agree that Jake has made huge strides in his improvement this season in the A. 

I'm hoping that he will continue to make progress offensively next season. I think the thing is, nobody can keep up with Jake when it comes to skating, and so he doesn't really have too many players or linemates that can keep up with him and the play. 

I also think if Jake learns to hold the puck and wait for his teammates - seeing a play develop - and make the play, he would be a much complete player. At his peak, I think he becomes a hard hitting, 40-50 point guy (50 points tops, most likely - a 20 goal, 25 assist type of player?). 

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

That was a good video!

I watch most Utica games this year, and have been really paying attention to Jake. 

I just don't know what to say about the kid.  

There were times where he would dominate.   There were times where he was lost and the worst player on the ice. 

The kid isnt stupid.  He knows the game. 

At least enough of it to give you the hope he will figure it out.  

He really isn't bad defensively. 

Pretty good at it when he tried. 

He showed enough defensive skill to show me that even if the points don't end up showing, he can be a great 3rd liner energy guy. 

Offence, it's up in the air.  

The kid can skate.  Damn can he skate.

He backs up Dmen and puts them on their heels.  

His shot is fantastic. Big league style wrister.

My problem with him is he doesn't see the ice well in the O-zone. 

He takes a lot of shot from bad angles.  

A lot.  

Sure a couple will go in, but they are bad percentage shots a lot of the time.

He is a shoot first player for sure, and because of that and the quality of his shot, I feel the goals will start going in.

He takes a lot of bad shots from the outside with out even looking to see an open teammate. 

He will never be a big assist guy.  

This season he showed huge improvements.    

He is a better pro now.  

He is in better shape. (I think a lot of this was bad communication with management). 

And most importantly, he is trying to keep his feet moving on the ice.  

Damn was he lazy when he started in Utica.   Total floater.  Waited for the play. 

Now he is using his big body to try to make a play instead.  

Good to hear that he has improved!

On 4/17/2017 at 11:12 AM, J.R. said:

Like who? Other than Markstrom and now Demko, what blue chip players has he even had a chance to develop that were in Utica long term?

They've all gone right to the NHL or are still in junior, college or Europe. 

I don't think we've had enough time to develop prospects. Our prospect pool, and development track record wasn't great prior to Benning's arrival. 

I think this really is the first wave of quality prospects coming into the system, and eventually being simmered on the farm team, until they are ready. Juolevi, Neil, Olson, Zhukenov (if he doesn't bolt to KHL), Virtanen, Dahlen, etc, etc really are the first crop of legit NHL prospects. We had before them, Jensen, Emerson, etc. Those guys aren't quality NHL players. So there needs to be given some time for these prospects to not be rushed, and simmer in the AHL, a primarily developmental league. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Good to hear that he has improved!

Yeah. I'm encouraged about Jake's development this season as well. I'm expecting bigger strides next season from Jake. 

Hopefully he can continue his developmental ascent. 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This was posted in the other Virtanen thread, but for anyone who doesn't follow that one, here are some of Virtanen's highlights from his year in Utica this year.

Excellent video thanks for sharing my comments

1. Granted its only a highlight video and of is offensive impact but he certainly looks to have improved ALOT - more confident with the puck, using his speed to go wide and his shot has always been teir 1 NHL quality

2. He does seem to score alot from the outside still and would have liked to see him score a few more greasy goals

3. He's driving the net more but needs to really charge harder in my view vs some of his outside shots, and related to those, seems he chooses sometimes to take a shot when he doesn't have much of an angle or traffic crashing to look for a rebound - he needs to know at those times you either drive the net or use your speed and take the puck deep behind the net and wait for help. Minor but you cant afford to do that in the NHL as that's just giving the puck away

Regardless, its good to see him looking like he's improved and showing more flashes of what he can be. Green seems to be getting through to him, now just add more physicality, attention to details (like above and defensively) and he'll be NHL ready - one more year in the AHL to cement things together and he should be ready for a real hard look with the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

Great video of Virtanen.

The difference in his game after he lost all the excess weight is amazing... he is so much more dangerous.

Obviously this is the AHL, but it is clear he has great potential with both his speed and shot.

I think the chances of him making the Canucks... assuming he works hard over the summer, is very good.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Excellent video thanks for sharing my comments

1. Granted its only a highlight video and of is offensive impact but he certainly looks to have improved ALOT - more confident with the puck, using his speed to go wide and his shot has always been teir 1 NHL quality

2. He does seem to score alot from the outside still and would have liked to see him score a few more greasy goals

3. He's driving the net more but needs to really charge harder in my view vs some of his outside shots, and related to those, seems he chooses sometimes to take a shot when he doesn't have much of an angle or traffic crashing to look for a rebound - he needs to know at those times you either drive the net or use your speed and take the puck deep behind the net and wait for help. Minor but you cant afford to do that in the NHL as that's just giving the puck away

Regardless, its good to see him looking like he's improved and showing more flashes of what he can be. Green seems to be getting through to him, now just add more physicality, attention to details (like above and defensively) and he'll be NHL ready - one more year in the AHL to cement things together and he should be ready for a real hard look with the Canucks.

This is exactly what I was going to say. 

He needs to drive to the net and drive hard. Even when he enters the offensive zone he could start cutting into the middle. He is just way to straight lined at the moment, but when he can change it up, the offensive game will flourish. 

Just imagine him doing his patented "knock'em down while carrying the puck" hits, just aimed directly towards or in front of the net. So, far he only does this when the defensemen closes in on him at the blue line, but if he just takes the mentality straight to the net every time, he will be a handful!

• Upvote 3