Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Utica wasn't a very good club. Pretty hard for what is largely a complimentary player to produce without a play driver. Particularly when his conditioning went off the rails last summer.

 

He was also played a good chunk of the year in a defensive role, with defensive line mates to work on his battle/pursuit/pace etc. 

 

People like to ignore the context of his conditioning, usage, line mates etc, look at his stat line and conclude he's regressed and had a poor year. Couldn't be further from the truth IMO. This season was like a reboot for Jake. Learn to train and play like a pro, dump the bad junior habits and WORK. 

 

Now he needs to build on that foundation. Personally I look forward to seeing his evolution over the next couple seasons.

I even think had he played with Valk the whole season that he would have put up a good amount of points. Definitely excited to see how he evolves himself as a player.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I even think had he played with Valk the whole season that he would have put up a good amount of points. 

Likely would have put up more. But he also didn't deserve to be moved up the lineup either. 

 

Funnily, that would have probably equaled a 'better' season to all the stat watchers but in reality he would have learned less and likely been worse off in his long term development :lol:

 

Should make people think as to what exactly constitutes a 'good' or a 'bad' season for a developing player... but it probably won't :lol:

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Likely would have put up more. But he also didn't deserve to be moved up the lineup either. 

 

Funnily, that would have probably equaled a 'better' season to all the stat watchers but in reality he would have learned less and likely been worse off in his long term development :lol:

 

Should make people think as to what exactly constitutes a 'good' or a 'bad' season for a developing player... but it probably won't :lol:

I think Jake wasn't in top shape until near the end of the season.  I remember (?) Green saying Jake was working on fitness and getting his weight down even after January.  Jake actually looked really good for about the final month.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

The big red flag in your post is you saw Cal Clutterbuck in Virtanen at the draft. I have no idea why anyone would ever draft a player like that at 6, especially when guys with huge ceilings like Ehlers and Nylander are available, both look like superstars.

Don't forget that draft was supposed to be very bad, and it ended up being quite good. Clutterbuck in his draft also finished 3rd on his team in scoring with very similar numbers to Jake - slightly higher PPG and lower GPG. 

Virtanen's ceiling was certainly higher than Clutterbuck's though. Clutterbuck has pretty much reached his ceiling. 

A comparison I used was if Jake turned into a Clutterbuck 2.0 he will still be a fan favourite. If Ehlers or Nylander we to become a Mason Raymond type player they would be despised (even though Raymond has better career numbers than Clutterbuck). 

Ehlers and Nylander turned into best case. First 1st line players who still have potential to stretch into the mid-high 70s. Virtanen is turning into worst case, unless he really brings his game up a couple of levels next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with @Where'd Luongo?, I really do hope we see Jake play on his LW this coming year. I think he might actually play better coming down the wing, generating some quality shots with a better angle. I felt like Jake was more effect playing LW back in junior as well. Would also be nice to see him T a few up this year from the hash marks like Stamkos and Ovechkin.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's just so obvious that he needs to play LW. Green knew, clearly Willie didn't.

 

Also, say what you want but he looks pretty good in this video. He had a lot of great chances that didn't go in, I expect he will show up hungry. Eye of the tiger.

 

Honestly, those are some pretty paltry highlights.

 

I know theres more to his game that this package didnt hit on, but hes looking more and more like a bust.  He may still be a decent bottom 6er, but man did we miss on this pick!  Hed still be a solid 2nd round pick, which is where we're at honestly, but DAMN this team REALLY NEEDS their top picks to show their worth! Heres hoping that this years top pick is a savage!!

Edited by 70seven
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm surprised people aren't complaining we passed on Ritchie as well. 4 goals in playoffs... 

I am not surprised.

 

He has the tools to be a good complimentary player and is on a pretty good team. I mean he is tied for 9th in point totals with like 3 other players on his team.

 

Also doesn't help when you've played with Getzlaf at times.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's just so obvious that he needs to play LW. Green knew, clearly Willie didn't.

Actually I didn't ever once see Jake lineup on the left side. In the defensive zone he was always on the right hand half wall and all of his offence comes from the left side because there is a switch that happens in the neutral zone that is encouraged in Green's system. 

 

It's interesting to see the players that have come into the franchise that are able to play both wings and the center/ wingers. If you look at Boeser most of his offence comes from below the dots on the left side and Goldobin likes the right side as a lefty.

 

Green is going to take a ton of flack early on for constantly juggling lines and not keeping lines together enough. The only lines that were together for extended time, produced at a consistent rate. This season Archibald, Valk and Grenier had a stretch that kept them together for a few months.

 

Jake went straight from the top line to the Hamilton Bancks line so he could learn what it was like to skate hard every shift. When Goldobin arrived at the end of the season and a player with skill could keep up with him, they both produced. 

 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Jake wasn't in top shape until near the end of the season.  I remember (?) Green saying Jake was working on fitness and getting his weight down even after January.  Jake actually looked really good for about the final month.  

Green said they would hold the bus so that a few players could ride the bike for a half hour after the game before they went to the next town. 

 

I really can't wait to see what Green can do with actual NHL players. The big line is 'who has he actually developed?' 

 

Well now it doesn't matter anymore. We're about to find out if a rookie coach can take a huge amount of skill and make it work in the NHL.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm surprised people aren't complaining we passed on Ritchie as well. 4 goals in playoffs... 

I was upset about it too like with other players. I think Ritchie is what we wanted in Virtanen but with more speed. Either way, hope Jake will get there soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Actually I didn't ever once see Jake lineup on the left side. In the defensive zone he was always on the right hand half wall and all of his offence comes from the left side because there is a switch that happens in the neutral zone that is encouraged in Green's system. 

Image result for blind meme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This ball hockey thing reminds me of a story

 

I'll be showing my age here but a million years ago I was in a ball hockey league over a summer and Petr Nedved showed up on a team against us. Not sure if he played the season for them or just a game but there he was.

 

We tortured him out there, taking the frustration of not being Jagr out on him, or the fact he wasn't living up to his draft pick at all up to that point.  I personally laid him out with a shoulder in his sternum. (he did score on us, though) He got mad and ejected from the game trying to retaliate.

 

Anyways, the next season was his best as a Nuck with a whopping 38 goals and ridiculous 25.5% shooting%

 

So maybe ball hockey is a wake up call after all?

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2017 at 10:10 AM, mangosteens said:

Virtanen is the reverse Burrows.

Burrows goes undrafted and works his way through the ECHL, AHL, playing ball hockey, and eventually a long NHL career.

Virtanen is a high draft pick and has worked his way out of the NHL down the to AHL, and is now playing inline hockey in the summers.  Next stop ECHL?

Good troll attempt.  He didn't "work his way out of NHL".   He is developing as a professional hockey player and the best environment for him this past season was AHL and not NHL where the latter team was a rudderless ship and he would have had limited minutes and confidence crushing experiences.   Learning how to play like a professional versus a man among boys per WHL was the challenge and Green, who appears to be nothing of a spin doctor at all, sounds very happy with the progress Jake made.

 

Anyway, good trolling attempt!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good troll attempt.  He didn't "work his way out of NHL".   He is developing as a professional hockey player and the best environment for him this past season was AHL and not NHL where the latter team was a rudderless ship and he would have had limited minutes and confidence crushing experiences.   Learning how to play like a professional versus a man among boys per WHL was the challenge and Green, who appears to be nothing of a spin doctor at all, sounds very happy with the progress Jake made.

 

Anyway, good trolling attempt!

Yes he didn't work his way out of the NHL, but even you need to admit that his future as an NHL regular looks much less certain now than it did 12 months ago.  Virtanen has not developed at the same rate as his peers in the 2014 draft class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...