The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, Hemsky said:

Nylander won MVP at the WHC today. Great first season in the nhl and continued international success. He could have been a canuck. Daily reminder. 

how dare that name be mentioned in this thread! Nylander doesn't have an ounce of the heart that Virtanen does! All Nylander does is produce offense at an elite pace! /s

be prepared to be endlessly told how useless Nylander will be in the playoffs my friend. Happens everytime Nylander gets brought up as if people on CDC can predict that an elite hockey player won't produce in the playoffs somehow.

Edited by GoBoGo53
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Virtanen's low hockey IQ goes beyond poor fitness. He doesn't think the game in the same way other picks around him do. Ehlers, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Nylander all have elite hockey IQ and can drive offense. Plays die on Virtanen's stick quite frequently, and I can't remember how many times he skates in and aimlessly shot it at the goalie's crest. Or in the World Juniors with Canada on the powerplay, he takes a stupid penalty to negate the man advantage. Or his poor use of his team mates in general. It's the primary thing holding him back and has been a problem his whole career, a major reason guys like Button had him ranked in the 2nd round.

Speaking of Nylander, he just won MVP of the world championship. Gonna regret that pick for the next 10 years atleast. shame.

Put 30 pounds of potatoes on anyone's back.  Then have them run up five flights of stairs, and immediately solve math problems.  Even the most talented mathematicians will have troubles.  Jake was a fatty.  He will be fine now.  No team with William Nylander will ever win a Stanley Cup.  Don't be too shocked if the Leafs trade your boy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Put 30 pounds of potatoes on anyone's back.  Then have them run up five flights of stairs, and immediately solve math problems.  Even the most talented mathematicians will have troubles.

This is hilarious lol. How do you even come up with this stuff? Anyway thanks for the laugh, feel a bit better after that brutal shootout loss.

• Upvote 1

leave the kid alone, let him catch a break, stop judging his skills and hockey IQ. He is only 20. Stop looking at the past (nylander and ehlers). I think Travis can push him to limits. Jake has hit rock bottom and is only going to get better from here. It takes time to learn to play in NHL. Not everyone can come out of juniors and start putting up points. He is the one who is most disappointed about his season and he knows that he's got to be better. He doesnot need to be reminded by million of fans how he played. Stop judging the kid based on instagram posts. End of the day hockey is just a game and part of life

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Put 30 pounds of potatoes on anyone's back.  Then have them run up five flights of stairs, and immediately solve math problems.  Even the most talented mathematicians will have troubles.  Jake was a fatty.  He will be fine now.  No team with William Nylander will ever win a Stanley Cup.  Don't be too shocked if the Leafs trade your boy.  

And the Canucks will never win in Vancouver. Fun to use crystal balls isn't it? I like talking using facts, not hypotheticals.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If somehow the opportunity arose today to trade Virtanen straight across for Nylander would you do it?

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is hilarious lol. How do you even come up with this stuff? Anyway thanks for the laugh, feel a bit better after that brutal shootout loss.

Being a Canuck's fan since day one, I firgured finding humour in the great many mistakes we seem to make, is better than the alternative:(

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

leave the kid alone, let him catch a break, stop judging his skills and hockey IQ. He is only 20. Stop looking at the past (nylander and ehlers). I think Travis can push him to limits. Jake has hit rock bottom and is only going to get better from here. It takes time to learn to play in NHL. Not everyone can come out of juniors and start putting up points. He is the one who is most disappointed about his season and he knows that he's got to be better. He doesnot need to be reminded by million of fans how he played. Stop judging the kid based on instagram posts. End of the day hockey is just a game and part of life

I disagree with the bolded portions. We are here to judge him on his skills and hockey IQ, that's the entire point of this thread. I also don't think Jake comes to this thread to see what is posted about him, so we don't have to sugar coat his performances.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

how dare that name be mentioned in this thread! Nylander doesn't have an ounce of the heart that Virtanen does! All Nylander does is produce offense at an elite pace! /s

be prepared to be endlessly told how useless Nylander will be in the playoffs my friend. Happens everytime Nylander gets brought up as if people on CDC can predict that an elite hockey player won't produce in the playoffs somehow.

Oh I'm feeling it already. My comment has received negs. I guess when you bring up FACTS people don't like it. Oh well. I am enjoying watching Nylander flourish as a player and he is well on his way to becoming one of the best in the league. Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander selected and we took none of them. That draft has already come back to haunt us. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hemsky said:

Oh I'm feeling it already. My comment has received negs. I guess when you bring up FACTS people don't like it. Oh well. I am enjoying watching Nylander flourish as a player and he is well on his way to becoming one of the best in the league. Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander selected and we took none of them. That draft has already come back to haunt us. 

It is haunting us (Canuck's fans).  

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Virtanen's low hockey IQ goes beyond poor fitness. He doesn't think the game in the same way other picks around him do. Ehlers, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Nylander all have elite hockey IQ and can drive offense. Plays die on Virtanen's stick quite frequently, and I can't remember how many times he skates in and aimlessly shot it at the goalie's crest. Or in the World Juniors with Canada on the powerplay, he takes a stupid penalty to negate the man advantage. Or his poor use of his team mates in general. It's the primary thing holding him back and has been a problem his whole career, a major reason guys like Button had him ranked in the 2nd round.

Speaking of Nylander, he just won MVP of the world championship. Gonna regret that pick for the next 10 years atleast. shame.

I watched a lot of Utica this season and your statement that "Plays died on his stick quite frequently" isn't what I saw.  I the last month when he started to put things together his rushes were creating offence.  He was snake bit this year points wise but to make that statement seems a bit much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

If somehow the opportunity arose today to trade Virtanen straight across for Nylander would you do it?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Only a MORON wouldn't make that deal.  (Sure, call me a moron:)

Sadly enough I believe there is a sizable amount of CDC members who wouldn't. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Take what you want from who you want, I don't care.   I remain amazed at how easily young talent is written off by this team's fanbase.   Not sure if a sign of extreme insecurity or a fanboi mentality from too much Playstation.   These are young men, human beings, and they all progress differently.  To call any one of them a "bust" when just barely legal to vote/drink in your country is beyond nuts.   My opinion.   How you base yours if up to you.   As you and others seem incapable of letting a non-bust opinion stand, I wonder aloud as to your motive.   Why is it so important to you to beat up on your young prospects?

I have never called him a bust but good try. You took issue with someone calling him a disappointment and tried to frame it as a ridiculous opinion. It isn't, there are a lot of people that expected Jake to be a better player today than he is right now including me. In that sense his progression has been disappointing. That doesn't mean he will never amount to anything. The poster you took issue with never labeled him a bust either so this is a strawman.

If you want to talk about insecurity, the surest sign of insecurity is when someone tries to tell others that their opinions are worth more or that they are experts who simply know more than anyone else. In my experience real experts let their opinions speak for themselves. I am not sure what "fanboi mentality from too much Playstation" means. The word "fanboy" represents individuals who cannot be objective about their fandom. Recognizing that a player has flaws to their game is the opposite of being a fanboy.

My motive in coming to this forum is the same as it has always been, to have an honest discussion. If that offends you, then by all means feel free to put me on ignore.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Well, back to Jake now.  I am looking forward to camp this year.  Lots of competition and a renewed Jake is going to blow every ones socks off (In a good way):)

Yup.  Trolls will go into hiding or find another project to whine about.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup.  Trolls will go into hiding or find another project to whine about.

I wish you were right (Hope this wasn't sarcazum:)) but it is highlly unlikely.