The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we all accept that Jake came to last season's camp overweight and out of shape.  He was (last summer) clearly not mature enough to accept the responsibilities of an NHL player.  

You are implying he's not changed, or matured, by quoting friends of friends.  Why do that, unless you are trying to upset the fan base?

Ultimately is up to Jake to excite or upset the fan base.  

I mean Gronk is doing pretty well. Then again he's gronk and that's a whole other animal

People like to party that's fine. But there's no excuse for showing up out of shape or not getting it done on the ice because of the partying. 

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

Ultimately is up to Jake to excite or upset the fan base.  If he comes to camp looking like a fat kid in skinny jeans again we can guess why.  Just don't talk about it. shhhhhhhhh.... 

If he shows up to camp fat and out of shape again, that's certainly when we will talk about it.  Someone posted a side by side picture of fat Jake juxtaposed with lean Jake.  This season Jake went from 235 to 207.  That's almost 30 pounds!  I think he will be in shape and weigh in under 210.  He was said to be the fastest skater in his draft class.  I think we will see that this coming season.  I still predict a 20+ goal season for Jake in 2017/18

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he shows up to camp fat and out of shape again, that's certainly when we will talk about it.  Someone posted a side by side picture of fat Jake juxtaposed with lean Jake.  This season Jake went from 235 to 207.  That's almost 30 pounds!  I think he will be in shape and weigh in under 210.  He was said to be the fastest skater in his draft class.  I think we will see that this coming season.  I still predict a 20+ goal season for Jake in 2017/18

That would make me quite happy.

Edited by Screw
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

This just makes me think you are trying to be Mr Positive after reading that other guys post about his friend who talked to Jake.  If this is true, why not just let the kid shop in peace?  

One could think the same about you except trying to be Mr Negative. If you really feel the need to accuse someone of "being positive", then you might need to start thinking about things a little more? Kind of a silly accusation if you ask me. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nope. We have complete free rein on questioning Jake's habits and his commitment to training.

Where it crosses the line is when you cite "evidence" that is pure hearsay. Then we start to skate dangerously close to defamation territory, which is not only against board rules, but can potentially get CDC itself into some legal hot water.

Best to keep any "a friend told me..." scoops private. 

Can I see your badge?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Can I see your badge?

In all seriousness though, I was just attempting to answer the question posed by the poster I quoted.

It seemed to me (based on their comments) that they weren't quite sure what was "off limits" and what was fair game.

And since they'd asked that specific question after Deb had taken moderating action, it seemed like further explanation might be beneficial.

So I figured I'd try to answer the question. 

Not only for the poster I responded to, but for anyone else reading the thread who might be unsure about what we can and can't say in this space.

I was actually on the wrong side of a similar issue many years ago. And I appreciated it when someone took the time to explain it to me. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass along the lesson I'd learned.

• Upvote 4

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Anybody can make something like that up, it shouldn't even be talked about.  If someone says they saw him doing something bad they are accused of lying and get negative reps, if somebody says something positive, Jake and the OP get praised for it.  Both stories could be false

There's a difference though between defamation (which is even a legal matter in the justice system so if I have to explain that to you then we have bigger problems) and saying about their own experiences about someone that doesn't involve defamation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just hearing on 1040 that Jake is looking really ripped and fit.  They are broadcasting from a charity golf tournament, and Jake is there.

Nice. I care that he's in shape and ready to blaze by his opponents, not that he's a big man able to walk over them.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Nice. I care that he's in shape and ready to blaze by his opponents, not that he's a big man able to walk over them.

Me too.  I know we all want Jake to really blossom into that player we hoped at the draft.  He sounded a lot more mature, and ready to put in the work.  He mentioned that while in Utica he learned to not take days off.  That to be his best he had to be prepared.  He started to mention all the weight he lost, then stopped mid sentence.  Maybe he wants to put the topic of his being over weight and out of shape behind him, and have people only comment on his hockey?