The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2017-6-20 at 8:18 AM, Screw said:

Jake has more going on than Kassian....maybe he should go talk to Kassian about what it takes...Jake has more going on, but he may have a harder fall if he thinks he can fool Green.

That being said all it takes is 3-4 weeks of hard work to get back to were he left off in April....that and abstaining...

I met Jake a few weeks back at a market in Abby and he was picking up chicken.  He was polite while I asked him a few questions about Utica, Coach Green and asked him if he is excited about training camp.  He seemed genuinely jacked about proving he belongs with the Canucks without a hint of entitlement.  Let's hope in July he puts his head down and works out with purpose and proves all of the doubters wrong!  I am certainly rooting for the kid.  It's weird meeting them in plain clothes cause you are reminded that these highly touted prospects are kids!  

• Upvote 3

On 2017-6-20 at 8:18 AM, Screw said:

The thing is, you're talking about his friend's opinion. There is so much that could be lost in that translation (ie. body language, joking around, etc).

Not only that but does his friend see Jake all day every day? Does he know what Jake does in the morning for example or do he just see Jake at a few parties? For example, I've had people think totally different things about me because I do different activities during the day than I do at night. People are quick to judge and seldom ever get to know someone well enough to be able to speak on someone's behalf.

So, honestly, I'd take this with not even a grain of salt. Could he be partying a lot? Sure. However, there are a lot of players who have party pictures scattered all over the internet. Partying does not mean he's not putting in the work ethic just like how an UFO sighting does not mean an alien's landed.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe that people can just throw comments like this without any proof to back it up.  If he was doing all this partying don't you think someone would snap a few pics and post them on the internet.  All I've seen are a few pics of him working out and rollerblading with the other prospects around Stanley Park.  Do the people posting this crap realize that no one believes it.  When I see proof (like a pic on the internet) I will believe it but how about we show the kind of maturity we expect from him and not post this kind of BS.

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

I met Jake a few weeks back at a market in Abby and he was picking up chicken.  He was polite while I asked him a few questions about Utica, Coach Green and asked him if he is excited about training camp.  He seemed genuinely jacked about proving he belongs with the Canucks without a hint of entitlement.  Let's hope in July he puts his head down and works out with purpose and proves all of the doubters wrong!  I am certainly rooting for the kid.  It's weird meeting them in plain clothes cause you are reminded that these highly touted prospects are kids!  

WHAT! He was abusing chickens on a farm?! Why didn't you call police & Pamela Anderson, right away??

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

WHAT! He was abusing chickens on a farm?! Why didn't you call police & Pamela Anderson, right away??

He was taking the chicken to a party and clearly demonstrated irresponsible behaviour.    Outrage required.   Bust for sure!    

12 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Nothing wrong with that (partying) if he can still maintain a healthy physique but if he doesn't then people will talk about his habits. 

Isn't there a few well known partyers in the NHL .... Patrick Kane likes to have fun... nothing wrong in moderation if you can handle it and still perform

1 hour ago, Screw said:

All fair but some anonymous trolling poster saying "a friend of mine who shall go nameless talked to an unnamed friend of this player who says he is partying all summer" does not constitute relevance.   It is trollish, mean-spirited and cowardly.   All the "official" news on this player paints an entirely different picture but one that apparently doesn't fit with a trollish agenda so you can choose to feed that agenda or not.  I choose not to.

• Upvote 1

He said, she said is a terrible form of debate.  Give us at least something to prove your point instead of just his friend telling your friend.  Sounds like that game we played as kids called Chinese Telephone.

1 hour ago, Screw said:

I think we all accept that Jake came to last season's camp overweight and out of shape.  He was (last summer) clearly not mature enough to accept the responsibilities of an NHL player.  

You are implying he's not changed, or matured, by quoting friends of friends.  Why do that, unless you are trying to upset the fan base?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we all accept that Jake came to last season's camp overweight and out of shape.  He was (last summer) clearly not mature enough to accept the responsibilities of an NHL player.  

You are implying he's not changed, or matured, by quoting friends of friends.  Why do that, unless you are trying to upset the fan base?

Ultimately is up to Jake to excite or upset the fan base.