The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just hearing on 1040 that Jake is looking really ripped and fit.  They are broadcasting from a charity golf tournament, and Jake is there.

Yeah, this is why I don't listen to all the random comments claiming he's doing nothing. You don't have a body like that without doing anything. lol

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, this is why I don't listen to all the random comments claiming he's doing nothing. You don't have a body like that without doing anything. lol

I bet Jake has a break out season.  I think, with good linemates who get him the puck, can score 20.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I bet Jake has a break out season.  I think, with good linemates who get him the puck, can score 20.

My expectations are probably a little more modest than that. I hope he does have a breakout season, but more in terms of at least showing he belongs on the team. Goals can come later in my opinion. :)

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

I mean at this point, who would you rather have?

Apples and oranges. One is nearly 21 and NHL-size with substantial AHL experience and Pettersson is still a young buck compared to Virtanen.

Right now I'd guess that Virtanen is far above Pettersson's level, but three or four years from now, who knows.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Apples and oranges. One is nearly 21 and NHL-size with substantial AHL experience and Pettersson is still a young buck compared to Virtanen.

Right now I'd guess that Virtanen is far above Pettersson's level, but three or four years from now, who knows.

Virtanen is a better player right now of course.

My point is Petersson is a much more valuable prospect. If I had to have one of the two, it would be Petersson.

So Petersson > Virtanen

49 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Virtanen is a better player right now of course.

My point is Petersson is a much more valuable prospect. If I had to have one of the two, it would be Petersson.

So Petersson > Virtanen

It's kind of a vapid statement to even bother making if you're not trying to bait people into an argument though.

• Upvote 1

I think the over-training for weight was only part of the issue with Jake. When he was expected to play the game with more structure, he struggled picking up his assignments. It exposed some holes in his complete game. According to Green, he's back on track. Looking merely at his offensive stats is misleading and doesn't take into account his gains in all the other aspects of his game.

I also believe that his points will come once he gets to play with better quality line-mates. He still has to earn that though. It sounds like he was doing that. Let's hope he still is.

On June 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Freeridebc said:

If he's having a killer off season, you'd think Vancouver would do one of those 'checking I'm video features to keep fans interested.

I doubt they'll do that as the best thing for Jake right now is the fact that this fan base has WAY lower expectations on him heading into 17/18 then we did heading into 16/17. My hunch is they want to keep it that way. 

Heres hoping that a little less pressure mixed with last year's development is a recipe for a great season for him. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2017 at 3:43 AM, The 5th Line said:

Do you think the players like being bugged every time they walk down the street?  Doughty doesn't want to play in Toronto for these very reasons.  Let the kid grocery shop in peace.

They don't call Vancouver 'the fishbowl' for nothing. There's a reason why we're at the bottom of free agent destinations. Throw in the most negative media coverage in the league and,..voila