The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

34 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

They don't call Vancouver 'the fishbowl' for nothing. There's a reason why we're at the bottom of free agent destinations. Throw in the most negative media coverage in the league and,..voila

yeah. it's unfortunate that it's like that. blessing and curse, right? 

in the sense that it's a blessing that it's a hockey mad market and city. a curse in the sense, that sometimes there's no privacy and personal space. 

i'm amazed that the sedins have been such class act in such a fishbowl city. crazy. #respect

jake looks so much different than last year in the summer. he looks fit, and he sounds driven and motivated. if he makes the team this year, i think he scores 10-12 goals, maybe close to 20 points, depending on how Green deploys and uses him. that would be an improvement over his 13 points his first year as a pro. if he becomes a 20 goal, 20-25 assist type player, that's a win in my books. 

On 2017-06-21 at 0:12 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nope. We have complete free rein on questioning Jake's habits and his commitment to training.

Where it crosses the line is when you cite "evidence" that is pure hearsay. Then we start to skate dangerously close to defamation territory, which is not only against board rules, but can potentially get CDC itself into some legal hot water.

Best to keep any "a friend told me..." scoops private. 

Especially the info gotten from imaginary friends.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Petersson>Virtanen

With size and speed alone Jake will be an NHL player. Bottom six of course, but still unlikely to be kept off an NHL roster forever. Petersson has a much higher chance of busting out but if he does make it could be a serviceable second liner should he make his potential

so completely different types, one is high floor low ceiling and the other is the complete opposite 

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

With size and speed alone Jake will be an NHL player. Bottom six of course, but still unlikely to be kept off an NHL roster forever. Petersson has a much higher chance of busting out but if he does make it could be a serviceable second liner should he make his potential

so completely different types, one is high floor low ceiling and the other is the complete opposite 

Why do you say he has a high chance of being a bust?

17 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Isn't Jake already kind of a bust?

(for 6th overall standards)

He'll still make the NHL but he's below his hyped expectations for sure. Petersson may not even get that far. So Jake would be a bust kinda like Sandlak was but petersson would be more like jenson because he would be useless in anything but a top six role. 

50 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Before you bury this poor kid, the recently announced invite list of players for the Canuck Development Camp has 13 of those invitees being older than Virtanen.   Perhaps that can put his age into perspective.   Give him at least another season or two before you bury him - as stated many times, and ignored many times, he can skate so well for such a big guy and seemingly has taken the last year to learn how to be a professional hockey player - something that seems to take longer for power forward types - so while no one has a crystal ball, it is far beyond "no chance" that this kid becomes a legitimate top six NHL player.   

I agree with trying to take it a little easier on the kid, and hoping that Jake becomes a good NHL-er, but those 13 invites are older than all of our other drafted prospects. So I'm not really sure what this means. 

Edited by suitup

6 minutes ago, suitup said:

I agree with trying to take it a little easier on the kid, and hoping that Jake becomes a good NHL-er, but those 13 invites are older than all of our other drafted prospects. So I'm not really sure what this means. 

It means that Virtanen is still young - still young enough to be a prospect and younger than many raw prospects out of CHL etc.   He was young for his draft year (post July) and could still have been playing junior hockey last season based solely upon age.   

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Before you bury this poor kid, the recently announced invite list of players for the Canuck Development Camp has 13 of those invitees being older than Virtanen.   Perhaps that can put his age into perspective.   Give him at least another season or two before you bury him - as stated many times, and ignored many times, he can skate so well for such a big guy and seemingly has taken the last year to learn how to be a professional hockey player - something that seems to take longer for power forward types - so while no one has a crystal ball, it is far beyond "no chance" that this kid becomes a legitimate top six NHL player.   

How many of those 13 were 6th overall or higher picks?

I'm not saying Virtanen is a bust and has no chance at the NHL.

I'm saying Virtanen is a bust for 6th overall standards. He still has a decent shot at the NHL either way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It means that Virtanen is still young - still young enough to be a prospect and younger than many raw prospects out of CHL etc.   He was young for his draft year (post July) and could still have been playing junior hockey last season based solely upon age.   

Yep, that's great. But I'm not really sure camp invites are a good metric. Also I'm not sure if your point about playing junior based solely on age makes sense as the cutoff is based solely on age. But I agree he is young for his draft year and he's got a year or two to show us something. 

Just now, suitup said:

Yep, that's great. But I'm not really sure camp invites are a good metric. Also I'm not sure if your point about playing junior based solely on age makes sense as the cutoff is based solely on age. But I agree he is young for his draft year and he's got a year or two to show us something. 

Thanks for a balanced response.   I concur with all you say here.   The metric used was a simple reminder as most think of development camp as "kids" and somehow that perspective gets lost with this "kid" given many of the vitriolic posts made (including fabricated personal attacks). 

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Thanks for a balanced response.   I concur with all you say here.   The metric used was a simple reminder as most think of development camp as "kids" and somehow that perspective gets lost with this "kid" given many of the vitriolic posts made (including fabricated personal attacks). 

That makes more sense, thanks! There are always players who come out of nowhere when things look bleak and surprise you. I hope he is one of them.