Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

They don't call Vancouver 'the fishbowl' for nothing. There's a reason why we're at the bottom of free agent destinations. Throw in the most negative media coverage in the league and,..voila

yeah. it's unfortunate that it's like that. blessing and curse, right? 

in the sense that it's a blessing that it's a hockey mad market and city. a curse in the sense, that sometimes there's no privacy and personal space. 

i'm amazed that the sedins have been such class act in such a fishbowl city. crazy. #respect

jake looks so much different than last year in the summer. he looks fit, and he sounds driven and motivated. if he makes the team this year, i think he scores 10-12 goals, maybe close to 20 points, depending on how Green deploys and uses him. that would be an improvement over his 13 points his first year as a pro. if he becomes a 20 goal, 20-25 assist type player, that's a win in my books. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-06-21 at 0:12 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nope. We have complete free rein on questioning Jake's habits and his commitment to training.

 

Where it crosses the line is when you cite "evidence" that is pure hearsay. Then we start to skate dangerously close to defamation territory, which is not only against board rules, but can potentially get CDC itself into some legal hot water.

 

Best to keep any "a friend told me..." scoops private. 

Especially the info gotten from imaginary friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Petersson>Virtanen

 

With size and speed alone Jake will be an NHL player. Bottom six of course, but still unlikely to be kept off an NHL roster forever. Petersson has a much higher chance of busting out but if he does make it could be a serviceable second liner should he make his potential

 

so completely different types, one is high floor low ceiling and the other is the complete opposite 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

 

With size and speed alone Jake will be an NHL player. Bottom six of course, but still unlikely to be kept off an NHL roster forever. Petersson has a much higher chance of busting out but if he does make it could be a serviceable second liner should he make his potential

 

so completely different types, one is high floor low ceiling and the other is the complete opposite 

Why do you say he has a high chance of being a bust?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Isn't Jake already kind of a bust?

 

(for 6th overall standards)

 

He'll still make the NHL but he's below his hyped expectations for sure. Petersson may not even get that far. So Jake would be a bust kinda like Sandlak was but petersson would be more like jenson because he would be useless in anything but a top six role. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Before you bury this poor kid, the recently announced invite list of players for the Canuck Development Camp has 13 of those invitees being older than Virtanen.   Perhaps that can put his age into perspective.   Give him at least another season or two before you bury him - as stated many times, and ignored many times, he can skate so well for such a big guy and seemingly has taken the last year to learn how to be a professional hockey player - something that seems to take longer for power forward types - so while no one has a crystal ball, it is far beyond "no chance" that this kid becomes a legitimate top six NHL player.   

I agree with trying to take it a little easier on the kid, and hoping that Jake becomes a good NHL-er, but those 13 invites are older than all of our other drafted prospects. So I'm not really sure what this means. 

Edited by suitup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, suitup said:

I agree with trying to take it a little easier on the kid, and hoping that Jake becomes a good NHL-er, but those 13 invites are older than all of our other drafted prospects. So I'm not really sure what this means. 

It means that Virtanen is still young - still young enough to be a prospect and younger than many raw prospects out of CHL etc.   He was young for his draft year (post July) and could still have been playing junior hockey last season based solely upon age.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Before you bury this poor kid, the recently announced invite list of players for the Canuck Development Camp has 13 of those invitees being older than Virtanen.   Perhaps that can put his age into perspective.   Give him at least another season or two before you bury him - as stated many times, and ignored many times, he can skate so well for such a big guy and seemingly has taken the last year to learn how to be a professional hockey player - something that seems to take longer for power forward types - so while no one has a crystal ball, it is far beyond "no chance" that this kid becomes a legitimate top six NHL player.   

How many of those 13 were 6th overall or higher picks?

 

I'm not saying Virtanen is a bust and has no chance at the NHL.

 

I'm saying Virtanen is a bust for 6th overall standards. He still has a decent shot at the NHL either way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It means that Virtanen is still young - still young enough to be a prospect and younger than many raw prospects out of CHL etc.   He was young for his draft year (post July) and could still have been playing junior hockey last season based solely upon age.   

Yep, that's great. But I'm not really sure camp invites are a good metric. Also I'm not sure if your point about playing junior based solely on age makes sense as the cutoff is based solely on age. But I agree he is young for his draft year and he's got a year or two to show us something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, suitup said:

Yep, that's great. But I'm not really sure camp invites are a good metric. Also I'm not sure if your point about playing junior based solely on age makes sense as the cutoff is based solely on age. But I agree he is young for his draft year and he's got a year or two to show us something. 

Thanks for a balanced response.   I concur with all you say here.   The metric used was a simple reminder as most think of development camp as "kids" and somehow that perspective gets lost with this "kid" given many of the vitriolic posts made (including fabricated personal attacks). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Thanks for a balanced response.   I concur with all you say here.   The metric used was a simple reminder as most think of development camp as "kids" and somehow that perspective gets lost with this "kid" given many of the vitriolic posts made (including fabricated personal attacks). 

That makes more sense, thanks! There are always players who come out of nowhere when things look bleak and surprise you. I hope he is one of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-05-21 at 8:25 PM, dpn1 said:

In the last month of the season he seemed to be doing quite a bit at high speed.  Some times he looked too fast for the AHL.  He made some pretty amazing end to end rushes and one particularly where he went around the net and set up Valk for a nice goal.  I think it was against the Penquin's farm team, if I am remembering correctly. My wife is watching me type and is laughing at me because she says my memory isn't as good as I think.

He definitely showed improvement in the final stretch of the season. For 15-20 games he showed signs of "getting it" and hopefully it transfers over to the upcoming season.  

 

Jake still has tremendous potential and upside, with some time and repetition he'll be better prepared to be an impact player for our team. But one thing to remember is that jake is a shooter first and not a gifted playmaker but with the right coaching and guidance he can play a style and role that fits him the best.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...