The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think the Canucks would really like to see Jake in the line up this year and with the improvement he has made off the ice, he maybe actually more ready now than he was last year or the year before.  JB, TL and TG are all saying he has made big steps in maturity and have been quite positive about Jake's progress.  IMO (and in the end of the day thats what most of us are giving here) I think Jake will do well this year and suprise us all.  In the end of the day TL, JB and TG are way more informed than any of us and I will trust what they are saying about were Jake is at in his developement and his readiness for this coming season.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:57 AM, Toews said:

:huh:

Ya, i was typing another post about you.But b4 I did I thought I would read yours about me Way to take what I said and totally change it.? Why are you such A pretentious dick?

I said I hate when people make predictions about how long A player will take to develop you POs Everyone loves to have fun predicting what A player might score. 

You have the perfect avatar A two faced little beach. I bet you're the type who watches the show and has no idea about the books. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2017 at 2:08 AM, TimberWolf said:

yup, I've maintained he'd be a Raffi Torres from even before he was drafted.

It's not a matter of turning a switch on, it's just a matter of ability. This is the player Benning selected

What's hard is remembering that it's not Jake's fault where he was picked, that's on the GM and Jake can't become a player he is not just because of where he was drafted. Some here just need to lower their expectations and hopes (and proclamations that Jake will "show up the haters") and just accept him for what he is. A player that was selected too high in a draft but could still help out in some areas on our NHL roster.

For sure. We're gonna pull a Kassian on him and run him out of town if we keep trying to bring his name up in the the same sentence as Bertuzzi and saying he's going to score 20 goals soon. He just barely cracked 20 pts in the AHL 3 years after being drafted, where is he going to pull out 20 NHL goals/season from??

Let's just give him some realistic expectations instead of constantly comparing him to the greatest PWF this franchise has ever had. It's been explained many times why the Bertuzzi comparison is completely flawed so people need to stop bringing up that up.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

For sure. We're gonna pull a Kassian on him and run him out of town if we keep trying to bring his name up in the the same sentence as Bertuzzi and saying he's going to score 20 goals soon. He just barely cracked 20 pts in the AHL 3 years after being drafted, where is he going to pull out 20 NHL goals/season from??

Let's just give him some realistic expectations instead of constantly comparing him to the greatest PWF this franchise has ever had. It's been explained many times why the Bertuzzi comparison is completely flawed so people need to stop bringing up that up.

I don't think anybody expects him to be Bertuzzi. I'd say most fans would be happy with a physical 15, or what Kassian was here but without the injuries, addictions, and drama. Zack's offensive numbers were coming along. 14 goals, followed by 10 in 42. He was close to becoming a 20 goal guy (when healthy) for us. Fans were (and still are) routing for the guy. We love our power forwards if they play physical, hate them if they don't. Jake is physical, and as long as get can get into double digit goals we will love him. 15 goals, 100 hits - I'd take it. 

Edited by canucklehead44

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

Ya, i was typing another post about you.But b4 I did I thought I would read yours about me Way to take what I said and totally change it.? Why are you such A pretentious dick?

I said I hate when people make predictions about how long A player will take to develop you POs Everyone loves to have fun predicting what A player might score. 

You have the perfect avatar A two faced little beach. I bet you're the type who watches the show and has no idea about the books. 

On 6/29/2017 at 0:05 PM, bp79 said:

I get A laugh when people sit on their computers and actually try to predict anything Canucks. Jakes iq was good enough to get him drafted 6th overall. Right around where many scouts had him pegged. Based on first his shoulder than making the club only to have his confidence shattered, to showing up out of shape and being basically spending all of the last year correcting the mistakes he and WD did on him it is unfair to say he has little Iq or he is A bust. He has spent all of the last year and this summer getting into shape. Last 10 games of the season he looked like the kid we drafted. I also think some people play better in the NHL compared to the Ahl. Jake is one of those guys IMO He thrives on that feeling you get when you're at the top of your profession.

Look at baseball players. They will go to single A for rehab and go o for 4 or allow 10 runs on 15 hits. Being in the show brings out more in some people I hope im right and Jake is that kind of guy. 

All in all not worried about him. He is committed. And last year in my eyes was the real star of his career. given the injury. WD screwing him up and showing up overweight. He was rushed from the start and it screwed with his development. This year he will prove the haters wrong and score 20 get 50 points and knock MT MCdavid JG on their asses.

I just quoted the first and last lines of your post. I didn't really change anything. Those remarks are contradictory, you deride others for "sitting on their computers and actually try to predict anything Canucks" when you are doing the same thing. 

I have read every book released thus far in the 'a song of ice and fire' series.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

It's not flawed in the fact that after a strong start, he went the minors then struggled to get it together. No one really knows what Jake's top end is. It's also not flawed that not every player follows a linear path. Some take longer than others to figure it out. The reason it gets mentioned is that the Islanders gave up on Bertuzzi, and Vancouver benefitted from it. 

• Upvote 3

I really hope Jake has matured and shown more consistency. Our present line up is skilled, but lacks a whole lot of grit. He could make a big impression this year if he has grown up a bit. Lots of potential and fun to watch when he plays aggressive.

People need to relax a little on Virtanen. If he keeps putting in the work like he has been and still is, according to his insta posts he'll be fine. He's too powerful a skater and has too good a shot to not score atleast 20 goals when he's in his prime imo.

• Upvote 2

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, TimberWolf said:

yup, I've maintained he'd be a Raffi Torres from even before he was drafted.

It's not a matter of turning a switch on, it's just a matter of ability. This is the player Benning selected

What's hard is remembering that it's not Jake's fault where he was picked, that's on the GM and Jake can't become a player he is not just because of where he was drafted. Some here just need to lower their expectations and hopes (and proclamations that Jake will "show up the haters") and just accept him for what he is. A player that was selected too high in a draft but could still help out in some areas on our NHL roster.

I agree with your analysis, but the real issue at this point is can Jake be committed enough to reach his potential.  That has been my question (and others) from the beginning as I live in Abbotsford and have followed him from his high school days.  Hockey came easy for him. Now that he is being challenged to put in the effort, will he step up?

I hope he does for his sake.

Edited by Borvat

Virtanen Highlights 2016/2017

from these highlights its its safe to say Travis Green realized he is a LW and has moved him back there. That's where he played best in junior. 

Also he uses his speed very effectively in both ends of the ice. It creates a lot of space and opportunities for him. However you do see his sort of narrow minded shoot first approach. 

He is at least creating those high percentage opportunities and would have had better numbers based on some bad luck. I think he can be a good role player who can help out up & down the lineup for the Canucks In the future. 

(You have to love his sheer strength and edge, see 2:10)

Edited by sharbinder
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sharbinder said:

from these highlights its its safe to say Travis Green realized he is a LW and has moved him back there. That's where he played best in junior. 

Also he uses his speed very effectively in both ends of the ice. It creates a lot of space and opportunities for him. However you do see his sort of narrow minded shoot first approach. 

He is at least creating those high percentage opportunities and would have had better numbers based on some bad luck. I think he can be a good role player who can help out up & down the lineup for the Canucks In the future. 

Wow, I completely did not notice until now that Virtanen stopped scoring once he was moved to RW.  Pretty clear that Green moved him off the LW so he could focus on developing his playmaking and cycle game when moving right to left.

11 hours ago, sharbinder said:

same observation. Virtanen is most effective on left wing. His one timers 5 on 5 from that wing are lethal and he tends to drive the net as well. On right wing he tends to shoot less. simply carries the poke around the net and out with no purpose. Dahlen is most effective on right wing . On the powerplay Boeser is most effective from the LW as well.

Edited by Nucktika

4 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

Wow, I completely did not notice until now that Virtanen stopped scoring once he was moved to RW.  Pretty clear that Green moved him off the LW so he could focus on developing his playmaking and cycle game when moving right to left.

Nope I was complaining almost every game because every positive highlight I saw from Virtanen he'd be streaking down the LW and making things happen but every game lineup sheet I'd see Green kept putting him on RW.

49 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Nope I was complaining almost every game because every positive highlight I saw from Virtanen he'd be streaking down the LW and making things happen but every game lineup sheet I'd see Green kept putting him on RW.

could definitely see these lines working

Virtanen (LW) - Pattersson - Dahlen (RW) 

Gadjovick(LW) - Gaudette - Kole Lind (RW)

Sven B (LW) - Horvat - Rodin (RW)

Boeser - Gaunce - Goldobin (RW)

Gaunce is most effective at center. His style reminds me of Drasital. Needs to emulate him 

Edited by Nucktika
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nucktika said:

Gaunce is most effective at center. His style reminds me of Drasital. Needs to emulate him 

And some people think Gaunce is slow.:huh:

8 hours ago, Nucktika said:

Draisaitl is a playmaker with size if i could think of any similar player maybe Joe Thornton. Gaunce is a checker that can finish a bit (though we haven't seen that in the NHL).