The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hope Jake has a great training camp and pre-season but at the end of the day we need to step back and take a look at the big picture. We're not contending, or even making the playoffs, for at least another 3 years. This team's Cup window is 3-5 years time. We've got plenty of wingers, we've got veterans too. We don't NEED Virtanen in the NHL right now, and quite frankly I don't think he'd learn much playing 6 minutes a night every 3rd game. For him, he'd be best suited in the AHL still. He's making progress, lets not ruin that.

Florida sent McCann back to the AHL after a bad NHL stint and he started putting up offensive numbers there too. I expect they'll do the same this season. We need to be patient with Virtanen and that means develop him nice and slowly. Focus on his defensive and physical game first for at least another season in Utica in their middle-6 forward group, then maybe the next season get him trying to score more as an offensive role.

I don't think we should throw him into the NHL for at least another season or two. 

I'd agree, though I expect Virtanen to push hard for a spot this training camp. Even if he doesn't make it, I would love to see him continue to improve in the AHL and become one of Utica's most dominant players. I don't think he needs two more AHL years, but one more could be nice.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:59 PM, Cocolocci said:

Patience. Just a little bit patience. I'm just saying - Cam Neely. There was no patience, too.. 

Or Bertuzzi and many other "big guys" over the years.    This kid can skate, hit and if allowed to play his natural position (LW) he has an ability to score 20ish goals year in and out.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-07-04 at 9:05 AM, canuckledraggin said:

That is Green's system.It's like on overload and support the puck. Jake's speed puts him out in front of the play when the puck is pushed from the left. It does so happen that he sees the ice 100 times better on the left side and it sets up better for his right hand shot, so looking at the highlights people see him scoring almost exclusively from the left and assume he's playing LW. If the puck is behind their own net, you see him exclusively parked on the right half wall waiting for a breakout pass.

I can already tell Green is going to receive tons of hate and shreiking from the masses. The other thing he loves to do is mix his lines, he does it constantly. He identifies which players are going and puts them together and he does it every game until there is a definite fit and steady production.

Why  would anyone be mad if Greene unlike Dejardins uses his head to make sensible coaching decisions? 

'Member willies lineup decicions or his obsession with players like vey or Megan who undeservedly kept getting ice time? I'memeber.

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Why  would anyone be mad if Greene unlike Dejardins uses his head to make sensible coaching decisions? 

'Member willies lineup decicions or his obsession with players like vey or Megan who undeservedly kept getting ice time? I'memeber.

Oh I member! Member Chewbacca?

But yes I'm glad Willie is gone along with his love affair for Megna.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2017 at 10:21 PM, WeneedLumme said:

They each need to look to see where the other is before passing, unlike when the Sedins play together. That slows their play down, making it easier to defend against. 

lol really?

if they play together you don't think there can be set plays and habits and instincts?  If player A knows there is open ice at position 1, he assumes player B knows that too... he doesn't have to look.  As long as player B has "chemistry" which is effectively knowing how the other player thinks the play. 

"looking" has nothing to do with it.  The Sedins would have been superstars on different teams too.... 

Or.  if you don't agree... please qualify what exactly is "chemistry" then?

TG has said that he wants a productive 4th line that would resemble another 3rd line and play more than 5 min. a game.  In Utica TG roled 4 lines with his 4th line getting as much time as his 3rd line.  If Jake plays on the 3rd or 4th line, he would get enough ice time to continue to develop in the Canucks line up.  If he is able, the Canucks need his speed and size in the line up because the team seems pretty soft among their existing forwards.  I think we are going to see a very different Jake Virtanen who is more ready now than he has been the last 2 season.

• Upvote 1

I just want Jake to be a physical presence.... tenacity like Jannik Hansen and like Raffi Torres when throwing bodychecks (minus the illegal hits part).

When you're a physical threat, it may cause turnovers and sometimes players start giving you a little bit more space.  That will greatly enhance his offensive game.  

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I just want Jake to be a physical presence.... tenacity like Jannik Hansen and like Raffi Torres when throwing bodychecks (minus the illegal hits part).

When you're a physical threat, it may cause turnovers and sometimes players start giving you a little bit more space.  That will greatly enhance his offensive game.  

His physical game added to his natural puck skills are great combination.

Virtanen in Junior

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

lol really?

if they play together you don't think there can be set plays and habits and instincts?  If player A knows there is open ice at position 1, he assumes player B knows that too... he doesn't have to look.  As long as player B has "chemistry" which is effectively knowing how the other player thinks the play. 

"looking" has nothing to do with it.  The Sedins would have been superstars on different teams too.... 

Or.  if you don't agree... please qualify what exactly is "chemistry" then?

Chemistry is knowing EXACTLY what the other player is doing and where he's going to be WITHOUT needing to look. The twins have better chemistry than almost any duo ever. This is probably the biggest component of "Sedinery". If this is news to you, maybe you should watch them play sometime.

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwen, Gadjovich and Gudbranson.... sounds like grit... eh @Canadian Rugby

I would add Gunnarsson to that list. I think he has a real shot at being bottom pairing guy for us. Loves to throw the body from the sounds of it.

Outside shot of Cederholm as well, who appears to be a physical beast.

Really hope Tryamkin comes back when this team is ready to compete too.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would add Gunnarsson to that list. I think he has a real shot at being bottom pairing guy for us. Loves to throw the body from the sounds of it.

Very true

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah Gunnarsson is a freaking specimen and can skate pretty well. Eventual bottom pair, physical guy...why not?