The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On July 6, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Why  would anyone be mad if Greene unlike Dejardins uses his head to make sensible coaching decisions? 

'Member willies lineup decicions or his obsession with players like vey or Megan who undeservedly kept getting ice time? I'memeber.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His physical game added to his natural puck skills are great combination.

Virtanen in Junior

I was expecting a more physical game from Virtanen. He started his NHL career finishing his checks regularly. Seemed to hurt his shoulder and never really returned with the same intensity. Not seeing any of his Utica games I could not say whether that side of his game is there. His cut to the net with speed seems to be his signature move. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The deal with Vegas at the draft fell through because of Virtanen. Low IQ bum.

Wildfires in BC and Russian interference with US Election his fault too.   Just in case you are keeping score.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I was expecting a more physical game from Virtanen. He started his NHL career finishing his checks regularly. Seemed to hurt his shoulder and never really returned with the same intensity. Not seeing any of his Utica games I could not say whether that side of his game is there. His cut to the net with speed seems to be his signature move. 

He was plenty physical in Utica (you know their games are on the web right?).   He certainly didn't seem hampered by anything but I do think he clearly was told to "tone it down" and "concentrate on the defensive end".  At same time, he seems out of place on the right side.   Games I saw where they put in LW for a bit last year (again, just on net so not live) he looked lethal at times and very fast AND was more aggressive in terms of hits.  

On 05/07/2017 at 10:08 PM, Hutton Wink said:

he still looks really lean. look at his arms as he pushes off and releases what hes pushing.  you can see the defintion in his arms.

that is a very positive sign in terms of his fitness. he must really want it.  i hope he shows up and takes full advantage of any opportunity given to him.

if jake does start in utica next season i wouldn't be surprised if he's an early call up.  

On 04/07/2017 at 9:05 AM, canuckledraggin said:

That is Green's system.It's like on overload and support the puck. Jake's speed puts him out in front of the play when the puck is pushed from the left. It does so happen that he sees the ice 100 times better on the left side and it sets up better for his right hand shot, so looking at the highlights people see him scoring almost exclusively from the left and assume he's playing LW. If the puck is behind their own net, you see him exclusively parked on the right half wall waiting for a breakout pass.

I can already tell Green is going to receive tons of hate and shreiking from the masses. The other thing he loves to do is mix his lines, he does it constantly. He identifies which players are going and puts them together and he does it every game until there is a definite fit and steady production.

mixing the lines will be less frustrating too me then seeing willie stick with his for 2/3s of a season.

man willie was frustrating to watch.  i dont even think willie knew what a tactical time out was.  

Edited by Rush17

On 21/06/2017 at 11:28 AM, Freeridebc said:

If he's having a killer off season, you'd think Vancouver would do one of those 'checking I'm video features to keep fans interested.

they probably don't want to give jake any spotlight. hes been off the main stage since the start of last season. its probably helpful to remain out of the minds of fans for now.  if he blows off the doors at camp then they can release his training footage.  hyping jake up and then seeing him fall on his face wouldn't be a good move for team pr or for his confidence.

jake will keep working hard and he will do his best to prove his former ahl coach and the "jake whisper" lol that he is ready and you cannot deny him. that is the hope at least.  i think jake will surprise a lot of people.

is jake eligible for the top prospects tourney? they would probably keep him out anyways. proving yourself vs kids wont help his confidence just create a false sense of confidence .

the one thing i will say though; is jake is proving everyone wrong who didn't believe in his ability to change and grow.  i think the controversy he faced at the world jrs and Vancouver have immensely helped his confidence and motivation. i am very proud of jake but he needs to prove he can put it all together still. 

good work jake. go hard at camp and show managment, the coaching staff, and us the fans you cannot and will not be denied.

if you have to go back to the a to start the season don't be discouraged. you are a lot closer then you think°

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 3

On July 7, 2017 at 0:47 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

His physical game added to his natural puck skills are great combination.

Virtanen in Junior

I really hope Virt eventually makes the team and goes on to a great career. But all that those top 10 goals show is that he's faster than a lot of junior players and was able to cut to the front of the net with ease. Nine out of ten of those goals don't happen in the NHL on a regular basis. He tried to play the same game when he first came up and it's why he was sent to Utica. 

He'll need to learn to work his tail off below the hash marks to get dirty goals if he wants a regular NHL job.

Edited by MJDDawg

41 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I really hope Virt eventually makes the team and goes on to a great career. But all that those top 10 goals show is that he's faster than a lot of junior players and was able to cut to the front of the net with ease. Nine out of ten of those goals don't happen in the NHL on a regular basis. He tried to play the same game when he first came up and it's why he was sent to Utica. 

He'll need to learn to work his tail off below the hash marks to get dirty goals if he wants a regular NHL job.

agreed with all.   i think that is what Green was doing with him and why he stated that "Jake make huge progress" and why they didn't give a rat's behind about goals and such but instead about how he did his job between said hash marks.   the games i was able to catch on internet showed a guy with elite speed who progressively looked comfortable in his role and he demanded, and received, space on the ice which is also a good sign.   i think he comes to camp under the radar this year and makes a lot of people see things they didn't expect in a good way.

His production after his draft year has obviously been extremely concerning. His numbers in the AHL as a 20 year-old were barely better than his numbers in the NHL as a 19 year-old. He also had a disappointing draft +1 season in junior. And the worst part out of all it might be what the guys that went after him in the draft are doing in the NHL right now.

Needless to say, this is not exactly the type of development you see from players that become impact NHLers.

But, just because I'm a Canucks fan, I'm going to be a homer and be hopeful he somehow turns it around. I think the ship has probably sailed on him being the front-line power-forward we hoped he could be when he was drafted, but he could probably still be a middle-6 guy that runs around like Raffi Torres (who Virtanen's doubters compared him to in his draft year).

The one thing Virtanen has going for him is that his body is pretty mature, and his play-style could make him serviceable in a NHL 4th line role, which not all prospects are suited for.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He was plenty physical in Utica (you know their games are on the web right?).   He certainly didn't seem hampered by anything but I do think he clearly was told to "tone it down" and "concentrate on the defensive end".  At same time, he seems out of place on the right side.   Games I saw where they put in LW for a bit last year (again, just on net so not live) he looked lethal at times and very fast AND was more aggressive in terms of hits.  

Good to hear that. Virtanen has a great advantage with Green being his NHL coach. What they started in Utica last year might transition into the NHL. Virtanen's biggest attribute IMHO is his speed for a big man. If he plays a heavy game and can backcheck he could stick. His offence will come and the team has the time to let him develop. 

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

they probably don't want to give jake any spotlight. hes been off the main stage since the start of last season. its probably helpful to remain out of the minds of fans for now.  if he blows off the doors at camp then they can release his training footage.  hyping jake up and then seeing him fall on his face wouldn't be a good move for team pr or for his confidence.

jake will keep working hard and he will do his best to prove his former ahl coach and the "jake whisper" lol that he is ready and you cannot deny him. that is the hope at least.  i think jake will surprise a lot of people.

is jake eligible for the top prospects tourney? they would probably keep him out anyways. proving yourself vs kids wont help his confidence just create a false sense of confidence .

the one thing i will say though; is jake is proving everyone wrong who didn't believe in his ability to change and grow.  i think the controversy he faced at the world jrs and Vancouver have immensely helped his confidence and motivation. i am very proud of jake but he needs to prove he can put it all together still. 

good work jake. go hard at camp and show managment, the coaching staff, and us the fans you cannot and will not be denied.

if you have to go back to the a to start the season don't be discouraged. you are a lot closer then you think°

Well said. I couldn't agree more. +1

18 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He hasn't proved anything yet, lets see how he does in training camp to see if he has matured yet. Personally I think he took a good big step last year but that doesn't mean he won't stagnate next year.

6 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

His production after his draft year has obviously been extremely concerning. His numbers in the AHL as a 20 year-old were barely better than his numbers in the NHL as a 19 year-old. He also had a disappointing draft +1 season in junior. And the worst part out of all it might be what the guys that went after him in the draft are doing in the NHL right now.

Needless to say, this is not exactly the type of development you see from players that become impact NHLers.

But, just because I'm a Canucks fan, I'm going to be a homer and be hopeful he somehow turns it around. I think the ship has probably sailed on him being the front-line power-forward we hoped he could be when he was drafted, but he could probably still be a middle-6 guy that runs around like Raffi Torres (who Virtanen's doubters compared him to in his draft year).

The one thing Virtanen has going for him is that his body is pretty mature, and his play-style could make him serviceable in a NHL 4th line role, which not all prospects are suited for.

It is posts like this that have me pulling for the kid even harder than I have been.   I was on the fence with this pick and this player but all the crap has given me a new sense of "he doesn't deserve this" perspective.   Your post is so much a "at best he will be a fourth liner" troll attempt to rile up those who want to see him succeed.    He didn't have a "disappointing draft+1" year based upon what his Hitmen coaches said who challenged him to be more of a leader on a much weaker team.   Plus, and you are one of the best at it, continually comparing him to unlike players taken in that draft is an easy win now and we all get that - why not focus on Virtanen and what Green said about his process last year?   Why make everything so damn negative?

Let the kid develop.   If he is no where in two or three more seasons, put a fork in him.   However, this constant barrage of negative comparisons and BS projections that don't mess with what his actual coaches say about him (unless you think Green is a bald-faced liar), has run its course and is beyond tiresome.    Given your silly avatar in your sig, the immature side of me hopes that not only does Virtanen make the team but he WIllie Mitchell's Toews into la-la land for a few months.    Nothing life-threatening but so that Chicago doesn't have their $8 million 58 point guy around for a season or so.

• Upvote 2

It's great that he is lean and everything but from watching him play I didn't see his lack of conditioning holding him back. He appeared to struggle processing the game at NHL speed. If conditioning was the issue, he would have dominated in the AHL by the end of the season. He just hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury. 

• Upvote 1