The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Good to finally see this guy playing in a Canuck jersey. All in all a pretty good tournament for him: not enough to make the big club now, but plenty to back up his claim on a future spot. He was holding his own and then some with players taken a year ahead of him and high in the draft. He's on track.

Thought he was the best Canuck over the tourney. Virtanen is NHL ready.

I like a lot of our young guys, and I'm excited about McCann too, but not as much as some others. I think he needs to gain weight and play at a higher tempo. Plus, he is soft off the puck. I do believe he's going to become a really good player, with time.

And people laugh when I say McCann and Horvat could be our 1b and 2a centres in the future...

McCann's as advertised -- great vision and playmaking, best offensive instincts of our C-prospects, and... dat snapper. Cassels doesn't have the same offensive flair but is extremely hockey-smart, and has that nasty about him. Bo has much better O than I expected and all three are defensively responsible. Very sweet to see such quality in our pending C-depth -- something that's been rare in the history of this team.

Based on what Canucks management has been saying, it sure looks like they will give JV every opportunity to make the team. It would definitely be nice to see him make it. I want to see him destroy some players with hits. :D

1b and 2a is something to laugh at. There's only room for 4 centers not 8. Just say 1 and 2.

Glad he's got the cobwebs out of his head after that silly and basically pointless(pun) summer evaluation camp. He looks like Mike Babcocks estranged son so he must be good.

We understand what 1 a and 1b . mean. Too centers capable of first line minutes. And when lines roll Coaches hate assigning lines numbers. You will fit in CDC.

2 things

1. Benning rarely mentions shinkaruk unless directly questioned about him, mentions other players - gaunce, Mcann, Hutton etc

2. Do we think virtanen will get moved to LW if he is good enough for opening night roster? I ask because I prefer Hansen to Higgins and I doubt prust gets moved bc of the toughness/intangibles factor

Sedin Sedin burrows

Baertschi Sutter Vrbata

Virtanen Horvat Hansen

Prust vey Dorsett

Putting a rookie on horvat's line- is that a good way to go? Now Horvat has to look out gor a rookie, plus the graduates responsibility of moving up in the lineup-could be a lot to ask

Sometimes I wonder- if we truly are trying to properly incorporate players maybe do:

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Beartschi Sutter Vrbata

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Prust vey/Cassels/gaunce Dorsett

A young guy on each line can always move burrows up and give him more minutes and virtanen fewer minutes

Love what I have seen. McCann has shown a lot of creativity. After watching him play I think even I have under estimated his skills. Love what hes displayed hope to see more. Wouldnt be surprised if he stuck around for a while.

I know this is lesser competition then the nhl but McCann may not be far off of Vey in the short term if his game can translate over. Would love to see him in some regular season games. I think we need to clear some vets to make room for guys like McCann/Virtanen. Virt looks ready for bottom 6.

McCann's shot is something to behold. That release of his is incredible, you'd think you were seeing smoke trails behind the puck. Nice to see the creativity this tournament but to have shot like that at 18 and its going to improve, its pretty scary especially for opposing goalies

IMO, so far it looks like McCann is only about one year away. We'll know a lot more once we see him in pre-season games.

Next year is going to be very very interesting since theres going to be a good chance that Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Vrbata will probably be wearing different jerseys by this time next year

Next year is going to be very very interesting since theres going to be a good chance that Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Vrbata will probably be wearing different jerseys by this time next year

I wonder how does the center position work out then since you will have Sedin, Horvat, McCaan, and Sutter. I can see Sutter being a 3 line center but does this mean McCaan starts out on the 4th line?

McCann's as advertised -- great vision and playmaking, best offensive instincts of our C-prospects, and... dat snapper. Cassels doesn't have the same offensive flair but is extremely hockey-smart, and has that nasty about him. Bo has much better O than I expected and all three are defensively responsible. Very sweet to see such quality in our pending C-depth -- something that's been rare in the history of this team.

Yup. Couple years to add strength and muscle is what he needs. Then a bottom 6 role and slowly move his way up.

Archived