The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Hey how bout your first live interview on international television right after the biggest moment of your life that defines your future for the next 5 odd years or more even.

"It is what it is" is a remarkably cool and calm reaction to such events. I would have probably gone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y&feature=kp

But that's why I'm not a future NHL star.

Am I turtle-y enough to join the turtle club?

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks

Benning on @jaredmccann19: "Since drafting him, I've had 2 or 3 GMs call me who are interested in him. Those conversations weren't long"

I'll admit I may be underrating him after he didn't have quite the showing last year, but I wondered if this was the right pick at the time. I'm welcome to have him prove me wrong, and certainly there appears to be interest in him so look like me being a bit cautious on him could well be.

Interest from other Gms so quick? I wonder what they offered... would be stupid to offer anything less than a first round pick (from a contender) or a 2nd round pick (from a basement dweller) + a 5th/4th rounder.

Don't really know how much he is worth to be honest, but I'm glad to see that he's actually a better player than what most people think.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/7/7/get-to-know-a-prospect-jared-mccann-not-jared-mccan-t

"The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds are one of the most forward-thinking and progressive hockey organizations on the planet. Under the leadership of young GM (and friend-of-the-blogosphere) Kyle Dubas, the Hounds have quickly vaulted to the top of the OHL standings, finishing this past year 4th in points in a brutal Western Conference.

Dubas and coach Sheldon Keefe place a great deal of value on analytics, and track Corsi, zone starts, and zone entry stats in order to gain a better understanding of what meaningful contributions their players make over the course of a full season.

There is no one better to give a detailed, analytic-focused breakdown of Canucks 1st round pick and Greyhounds centre Jared McCann than Kyle Dubas himself. After reaching out to Canucks Army to address some of our concerns with the selection of McCann, Dubas generously agreed to answer a few questions we had about McCann and help Canucks fans gain a better understanding of the 17-year old kid who will hopefully turn into the centrepiece of the Ryan Kesler trade. You're going to like what you hear..."

There's more.

Just read that CanucksArmy piece and was going to post it here if it wasn't already.

Has to be one of the best prospects reports I've read on a free public website (especially to anyone with a stats interest).

Kudos to CA for securing that interview with Dubas and getting such detailed answers (and asking good questions).

Well worth the read.

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks 4m

Benning on @jaredmccann19: "Since drafting him, I've had 2 or 3 GMs call me who are interested in him. Those conversations weren't long"

pretty nice to see some interest in the kid!

Interesting. Good to hear he is in demand already and that Benning really isn't interested in listening much. Kinda gives some confirmation that we might have a gem on our hands.

Saw this earlier, was a fantastic read on him. A couple things stood out to me.

"Jared also missed the net with his individual shot attempts more than anyone on our team by a wide margin. I would equate it to a young pitcher with just electric stuff that deals with control issues early in his career. He is one of the rare prospects in this draft that could flat out beat a goalie with his wrist shot from just inside the blue line regularly. As he works on his shooting accuracy, which he will tell you is a major priority, his numbers are going to drastically improve. His highlight reel from the past season shows what he is capable of with regards to end to end tantalizing offensive play when at his best."

He missed on his individual shot attempts more than anyone else on his team by a wide margin, so as he works on his accuracy his numbers should jump up. For a prospect who's lauded to have elite level skill but who's numbers didn't quite match up this is an encouraging sign. He's already got one hell of a shot as well, which you can imagine will be improved upon.

There's this as well.

"The other thing that hinders Jared (and all of our centres production) is the system we deploy in the defensive zone. The centres must come very low (to the goalie) to provide the D a controlled option low in the zone. He cannot cheat ever or leave the zone, thus you will never see him slide behind the opposition D for easy chances and often has the puck with 5 members of the opposition in front of him versus 2 or 3 if he got the breakout pass from the winger off the wall as many others do."

I perceive this as further explanation as to why his numbers may not be what they could have been, which isn't to say his numbers were bad by any means. But given the insight from this article it leads me to comfortably believe that Jared still has quite a bit of untapped offensive upside.

Then there's this little bit.

"The numbers are the numbers, they don’t lie. Jared will be the first to say, as I have seen him say quite often to the press, that he was not happy with his offensive production. As detailed above as he asserts himself up in the play and hits the net more, you’re going to see his offensive totals really take off. Sheldon has spent a lot of his off-season breaking down every single shift Jared had at even strength and has a plethora of development areas which will only add to Jared’s offensive prowess and be really exciting to watch."

Jared isn't happy with his offensive production, and given what I've read there's reason for him to expect more from his offensive game. As he works on his shot accuracy and gets it on net more his numbers should jump up. It's also encouraging to hear how in depth this organization and coaching staff go in order to maximize the output of their players. There's clearly quite a bit of commitment going on from the coaching side of things, and if Jared puts forth the effort, and I imagine he will, he could turn out to be more than many of us expected when his name was first called at the draft.

I don't usually chime in here in the prospects forum as I don't have much to say, but I'm really excited about this pick. He could really be something special for us if developed properly.

im not sure exactly where I heard it. But I did hear it.

His own coach mentions his 2-way ability in that Canucks Army article above.

From what I gather he's a very good 2-way player with a LOT of offensive tools that are a bit rough at this stage of his development. As he works on refining those he should become very dangerous at both ends of the ice.

This is a simple answer for me and is a resounding yes. Jared showed utter dominance at times (games with 4 goals, 5 points, etc.) and then stretches of games where he was held off the score sheet. During the season, it appeared to me that Jared so concerned about defence and being above the puck that he was extremely conservative with his jumping high into the rush. That was something that Sheldon and Jared spent a lot of time on and I know that Sheldon has spent a lot of the off-season watching to figure out how Jared’s offensive dominance could become more consistent.

Jared also missed the net with his individual shot attempts more than anyone on our team by a wide margin. I would equate it to a young pitcher with just electric stuff that deals with control issues early in his career. He is one of the rare prospects in this draft that could flat out beat a goalie with his wrist shot from just inside the blue line regularly. As he works on his shooting accuracy, which he will tell you is a major priority, his numbers are going to drastically improve. His highlight reel from the past season shows what he is capable of with regards to end to end tantalizing offensive play when at his best.

The other thing that hinders Jared (and all of our centres production) is the system we deploy in the defensive zone. The centres must come very low (to the goalie) to provide the D a controlled option low in the zone. He cannot cheat ever or leave the zone, thus you will never see him slide behind the opposition D for easy chances and often has the puck with 5 members of the opposition in front of him versus 2 or 3 if he got the breakout pass from the winger off the wall as many others do.

Archived