The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

I could see us making a deal with Boston: maybe Higgins, Hansen, rights to Sauve for Eriksson. If Bos wanted to drop his contract and pick up some solid pieces. Would rather take picks for that but could be a great partner for the Sedins. (We have them for 4 years). Plus would also help us remain competitive for the next while.

Rather get youth but could be an option to help out in the top 6.

I see Tanev signing for anywhere from $2.5mil-$3.5mil. I'd be happy with $3.2mil a year over 4 years.

I think Kassian gets a bridge contract. 2 years at $1.7mil a year.

I really see us signing one of Miller or Hiller, not a lot of teams looking for a starting goalie, a handful at most, Buffalo being one of them. . .doubt Miller goes back there, and doubt Hiller wants to go to that graveyard.

I don't want any of the D in this FA, there's not many of them to begin with, there isn't any high-end defencemen either, all of these players are going to be overpaid by a stupid amount...Niskanen is going to get around $6mil a year for like 5-6 years, and he'll never match the year he had with the Pens.

There is a few forwards I wouldn't mind the Canucks targeting, no NTC's, and short-term only though, 2 years max.

Brad Richards

Matt Moulson

Mike Cammalleri (Not likely, looking for long-term)

Radim Vrbata

Devon Setoguchi

If things go south, trade them to a contending team as a rental player if applicable.

I would look at getting a guy like Hemsky for the 2nd line and Robidas on defense.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Burrows-Horvat-Hemsky

Higgins-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Robidas

Lack

Markstrom

Sign Hemsky 2 years @ 5 million per

Sign Robidas 2 years @ 3.5 million per

Rumor has it Canucks asked another player to waive their NTC; Philly is rumored to make a deal with the west...

One or 2 of Higgins/Hansen/bieksa for simmonds?

If Shinkaruk was offered; could see him dealt if was already on the block....

Could see Canucks grab Ott (desjardins connection in Dallas), one of Vanek or moulson and cammy up front; Mitchell and engelland and Myers from buffalo in a trade.

Makes them definitely a wild card team dependent who they pick up on July 1

I disagree with some of the players on your roster, I don't think Hansen should be traded just because he'll be a 2.5 million 4th liner. Too much depth is better than no depth and I don't think Kenins starts on the Canucks roster.

I think we should try for David Legwand or a suggestion by CanuckofSteel, Stephane Robidas.

11 million cap space according to my signings and I think we can get Legwand between 4.5-5 million on a 2-3 year deal and Robidas at 3.5/4 million.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)
David Legwand ($4.850m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.850m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)
GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,206,944; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,793,056

-----------

I know it's 24 man roster but maybe Jensen or Corrado go down for one more year or Dorsett gets traded. We also still have 2.7 million cap space left over.

Rumor has it Canucks asked another player to waive their NTC; Philly is rumored to make a deal with the west...

One or 2 of Higgins/Hansen/bieksa for simmonds?

If Shinkaruk was offered; could see him dealt if was already on the block....

Could see Canucks grab Ott (desjardins connection in Dallas), one of Vanek or moulson and cammy up front; Mitchell and engelland and Myers from buffalo in a trade.

Makes them definitely a wild card team dependent who they pick up on July 1

Why would you assume we would trade to Philliy for Simmonds? Calm down with these rumours.

Why would you assume we would trade to Philliy for Simmonds? Calm down with these rumours.

I'd be doing cartwheels if we got Simmonds in a trade, certainly would provide top 6 toughness. I can see him being a Benning type player, a heart & soul guy.

But I don't see Philly trading him unfortunately. They already traded one fan favorite in Hartnell, Philly fans would not tolerate losing another.

Deniro, I usually agree with you, but I truly think we won't spend to the cap this season.

Season ticket renewals are way down, the sold out streak will be broken. Management can use the guise of "bringing in youth" to avoid spending to the cap.

My prediction is that we start the season way below the cap and management will claim it is to see how the current squad will do. If we are in a playoff position by the deadline we have plenty of money to bring in help, and if we are in bad shape, the ownership saves quite abit of money. It's quite smart when you think about it.

I can see us trading Hansen for a pick or two in the 2015 draft. Most he can get us is a low 2nd round pick or a 3rd. Then we go hard after Dave Bolland/Paul Stastny. I seriously hope we go after Devin Setoguchi as he's got great hands, a hell of a shot, and great speed. Plus, he would make a great depth forward on the bottom six giving us more secondary scoring if we truly are trying to compete back into the playoffs. Leaves us one open spot for a rookie, hopefully Horvat or Jensen makes the team.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Bonino-Bolland/Stastny-Horvat

Higgins-Matthias-Setoguchi

Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Lain

Deniro, I usually agree with you, but I truly think we won't spend to the cap this season.

Season ticket renewals are way down, the sold out streak will be broken. Management can use the guise of "bringing in youth" to avoid spending to the cap.

My prediction is that we start the season way below the cap and management will claim it is to see how the current squad will do. If we are in a playoff position by the deadline we have plenty of money to bring in help, and if we are in bad shape, the ownership saves quite abit of money. It's quite smart when you think about it.

I would say keep the cap space and at the trade deadline take on cap space from teams that want to make deals for 1st rounds picks

I really hope they don't overpay for anyone. Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

I'd rather see a youth movement and another top 10 pick next year.

You pay a little extra when you're looking to make that final push, not start the process.

If Vancouver continues to draft well and develop properly, then in 3-5 years you can go all-in on a free agent or two to make a run.

Agreed,

I really don't want any UFA's

Hopefully, at least two of Hiller, Moulson, and Stastny. Imagine what our top six would be?!?!?

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Moulson Stastny Kassian

I like that, except maybe Burrows is with Sedins just because last year was maybe an anomaly. This is a much better top 6 and probably a better top 9 too with Bonino added. Hopefully we could land Stastny to replace Kesler and anything else will just be a cherry on the cake.

instead of signing a free agent goalie, trade markstrom and hansen to either toronto for james reimer or ottawa for craig anderson to split duties with lack.

sign tanev at 6 years x $3.5 m

sign kassian at 2 years x $1.5 m

sign dalpe at 1 year x $605 k one way

sign reimer at 2 years x $1.75 m

sign iginla at 3 years x $5 m

sign d. boyle at 3 years x 5 m (incentive laden)

trade 50th overall (or 2015 2nd round pick) to philly for vinny lecavalier, they retain $1.5 m.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($2.997m33.40%) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Zac Dalpe ($0.605m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Dan Boyle ($5.000m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

James Reimer ($1.750m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,173,667; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $826,333

I can see us trading Hansen for a pick or two in the 2015 draft. Most he can get us is a low 2nd round pick or a 3rd. Then we go hard after Dave Bolland/Paul Stastny. I seriously hope we go after Devin Setoguchi as he's got great hands, a hell of a shot, and great speed. Plus, he would make a great depth forward on the bottom six giving us more secondary scoring if we truly are trying to compete back into the playoffs. Leaves us one open spot for a rookie, hopefully Horvat or Jensen makes the team.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Bonino-Bolland/Stastny-Horvat

Higgins-Matthias-Setoguchi

Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Lain

Bolland is injury PRONE. There is no way we need another David Booth here. If we are going to play a fast physical game we better all bear that in mind.

Hemsky is another to avoid. I see his name mentioned.

Stastny is just not physical enough for me and has no real playoff form, I wouldn't mind Setoguchi though.

We are like kids in a toyshop, just because we have cap, doesn't mean we have to blow it. JB is smarter than that imo.

This is exactly what I mean. Kid in a toyshop.

sign tanev at 6 years x $3.5 m Have you not learned the lesson of long contracts? 4 years max, review at 2.

sign kassian at 2 years x $1.5 m If we think he's the real deal the term should be 3-4 years

sign dalpe at 1 year x $605 k One way? better still no way.

sign iginla at 3 years x $5 m No he has lost it and 3 years? are you serious?

sign d. boyle at 3 years x 5 m (incentive laden) A small 37 year old defence man, get real man.

I'm hoping (and actually believe) we will try and land Stastny. wouldn't that be just the perfect fit on the 2nd line. Or Vanek.

I think we'll also be pretty aggressively pursuing either Miller or Hiller.

I'd even be fine with overpaying a bit for Stastny. Overpayment is going to happen with him & Vanek regardless.

I'm hoping (and actually believe) we will try and land Stastny. wouldn't that be just the perfect fit on the 2nd line. Or Vanek.

I think we'll also be pretty aggressively pursuing either Miller or Hiller.

I'd even be fine with overpaying a bit for Stastny. Overpayment is going to happen with him & Vanek regardless.

Vanek seems lazy to me as in fact does Stastny. Of the two I'd probably have Vanek but only for 3 years, by that time he will be 33.

Archived