The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Even a better idea.... why don't we use the money to re-sign Markstrom and try to add a defenseman?

Do we have cap space? Since that’s kind of the issue with a few dead contracts. 

Depends on how the league handles the revenue drop, what other moves we make, etc, etc.

Is there a compliance buyout? If so there's Eriksson's $6m. Followed by a 50% retention trade or buyout of Baer... There's another +/- $1.6. Move Benn and Roussel... There's another $5m. Suddenly we've cleared roughly $12m in cap.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nevertheless he's more inexperienced that Marky was when we got Miller. Also how long did it take Marky to become a great starter after years of being a backup? Not until his third year as a starter. This is Demko's 1st year as a backup, he's a ways away from being a starter.

We lose Marky next year we probably aren't a playoff team. Demko and whom'ever we'd sign won't be nearly as good enough to carry us.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Just spit balling here but...

What if we put some of that goalie money we saved towards a D upgrade at the same time...

this ^ is kind of what i was thinking. 

I think we should try to sign Marky at a reasonable term. I don't want Marky at 5-6 years tho. So if e..g, a team like Calgary throws 6.5 x 6 at him I think we should walk from that, and pair Demko with an older veteran on a 1 or 2 year deal. 

In the meantime, we do as @aGENT suggested and really improve the d group. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we should try to sign Marky at a reasonable term. I don't want Marky at 5-6 years tho. So if e..g, a team like Calgary throws 6.5 x 6 at him I think we should walk from that, and pair Demko with an older veteran on a 1 or 2 year deal. 

Really though, I think he ends up under a pretty reasonable +/- $5.5 x 4 deal.

From there, the team has to decide who else stays and goes. Some of which of course depends on how the league decides to address the revenue/cap issue.

From there, do we move Stecher's rights or can we re-sign him for something near $2m? Trade any of Benn, Roussel, Sutter or Baer (some likely with retention or in Baer's case, buyout)? Do we bring Tanev back or make a trade for a younger D to play with Hughes longer term and apply his cap there? Can we re-sign Toffoli?

There's a lot up on the air there. Hopefully the next week or so there's more clarity on the league's plans and then the real fun begins.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:32 AM, N4ZZY said:

Do we have cap space? Since that’s kind of the issue with a few dead contracts. 

That's to be determined on what happens with compliance buyouts and/or JB's ability to ship out dead contracts.

A lot of what we're arguing about hinges on it. We could get a couple buyouts then we can re-sign everyone and sign a D. We could not get anything and not ship out everyone and lose out on two of Tanev, Toffoli and Marky.

So we will see what happens eventually.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:37 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Why Not Both? / Why Don't We Have Both? | Know Your Meme

TBD though with what happens.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fingers crossed for a compliance buyout of Loui so we can do that. 

Would definitely be the most ideal of situations if we can re-sign everyone and have enough to add a solid top 6 D. A top 6 with Boeser/Toffoli and a Dillion/Edmundson in the top 6 to play with a Tryamkin? That's mouth drooling to think about. 

I for sure want to see us improve and take another step forward next year if possible.

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

That's to be determined on what happens with compliance buyouts and/or JB's ability to ship out dead contracts.

A lot of what we're arguing about hinges on it. We could get a couple buyouts then we can re-sign everyone and sign a D. We could not get anything and not ship out everyone and lose out on two of Tanev, Toffoli and Marky.

So we will see what happens eventually.

How many buyouts do the Canucks have? 

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How many buyouts do the Canucks have? 

I don't believe there's a limit to regular buyouts, but I could be incorrect. It's just expensive for the owner and we end up with cap space used by a player who's not even playing (unless I'm mixed up).

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't believe there's a limit to regular buyouts, but I could be incorrect. It's just expensive for the owner and we end up with cap space used by a player who's not even playing (unless I'm mixed up).

Yeah Buyout aren't useful unless the player just sucks so much you want to kick him to the curb, or in the rare case you're tiny bucks from the cap and you want to sign a really good player. Hasn't come close to being in effect for a guy like Ericksson ...

YET.

:towel:

Edited by Gawdzukes

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Buyout aren't useful unless the player just sucks so much you want to kick him to the curb, or in the rare case you're tiny bucks from the cap and you want to sign a really good player. Hasn't come close to being in effect for a guy like Ericksson ...

YET.

:towel:

haha. you got me there at the end :P

Ericksson's time here in Vancouver has been soooo unfortunate. He went from 30 goals, to like barely scoring any goals. How does someone drop in their production like that?? 

How many years does Ericksson have left? Because it feels like an eternity until he's gone. My goodness. 

Sutter, Ericksson, Beagle, just to name a few of the poor contracts that Benning has signed in his time here. 

I think folks are underestimating Demko’s trade value and overestimating the impact of expansion.  There are plenty of teams without a solid starter, or who have an aging or underperforming guy on big ticket that they are fine exposing for expansion because they are unlikely to get picked.  Very few teams have TWO attractive goalies for expansion like we do.  

If Markstrom gets extended, I have little doubt that Demko will be traded.  I think in his case the return will be a decent pick and a cap dump.  It isn’t even impossible that it could be a contract as big as Eriksson that could be unloaded.

We can then sign a veteran back up to a cheap 2 year deal so we have a guy that meets the exposure requirements and the bridge the gap to DiPietro being ready for back up duties.

If all goes right, Markstrom on a four year deal, DiPietro up in the NHL hallways through that, and by the end of Markstrom’s deal they are close to splitting starts.  Demko just isn’t in the picture due to timing unless Markstrom signs somewhere else, which I think is relatively unlikely.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think folks are underestimating Demko’s trade value and overestimating the impact of expansion.  There are plenty of teams without a solid starter, or who have an aging or underperforming guy on big ticket that they are fine exposing for expansion because they are unlikely to get picked.  Very few teams have TWO attractive goalies for expansion like we do.  

If Markstrom gets extended, I have little doubt that Demko will be traded.  I think in his case the return will be a decent pick and a cap dump.  It isn’t even impossible that it could be a contract as big as Eriksson that could be unloaded.

We can then sign a veteran back up to a cheap 2 year deal so we have a guy that meets the exposure requirements and the bridge the gap to DiPietro being ready for back up duties.

If all goes right, Markstrom on a four year deal, DiPietro up in the NHL hallways through that, and by the end of Markstrom’s deal they are close to splitting starts.  Demko just isn’t in the picture due to timing unless Markstrom signs somewhere else, which I think is relatively unlikely.

I think people are also worrying too much that Seattle may take him. We have seen plenty of times last expansion that there were actually decent goalies available, but weren't taken. It depends on their strategy. For example Buffalo had Nilsson who was 26 who just posted a .923 sv% season and had a 23 year old Ullmark that they passed on for Carrier. Or passing on 24 year old NHL starter Mrazek for 24 year old AHLer Nosek. Or passing on Raanta (who was flipped for a 1st rounder a few days after the draft) for Lindberg. Or passing on the highly coveted Garrett Sparks for the infamous Leipsic :ph34r:. So it's very possible (barring a great year from Demko), that they pass on a would be then 25 year old goalie (most recently with a .909 sv%) for say someone like Gadjovich (22 years old) if he has a decent season in Utica next year and if left unprotected. It's really going to depend on who's available and what their game plan will be. It's not a sure thing that Demko is taken.

Right now we have to protect Horvat, Miller, EP, Boeser and likely Gaudette and Virtanen. If we sign Toffoli, he will take that last spot. That could leave someone like Kole Lind exposed as well who would be very enticing as well.

If Demko isn't taken, then your timeline still fits him in. Sure Demko may want to expedite himself, but if as you say in 4 years, Demko will be 28 and splitting games with Marky as his mentor (Demko just had his first taste as a backup). That's about when Marky started breaking out. Of course having the contingency of DiPietro allows us to explore trading him should the right deal come along. I think this goaltending "security" allows us to not have to force a trade to get maximum value and also not be concerned if that's the sacrificial lamb that we give up.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/4-Teams-MAJOR-Interest-in-Demko-e4-Vezina-Fris-Buzz-with-Kevin-Allen/1/106477

toronto

edmonton

buffalo

detroit

very interesting...

poor buffalo-Ukk0 has gone from star prospect to ECHL toiler

hockeybuzz makes up fake trade scenarios constantly. Can't remember if they ever got one right...maybe someone else can chime in if they remember one of their "trades" actually going through.