The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Listening to Demko on 650...he's so evenly keeled and composed.  Really like this guy.  Been in Van for 3 months or so (after having gone home to family/girlfriend)...he and a couple others staying in touch as they waited for word on a season start.

Poor guy!  Said for the glacier skate he really wanted to just go do it in sweat pants but the coordinator of the event asked him to bring/wear his gear.  Did not want to lug it along, but it was either do so or catch you next time.

He's a keeper!  

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't really fault him for his horrible GAA or save %, the Canucks have just been brutal defensively. They were lethargic and bad against Vegas, but still relatively composed defensively and didn't allow odd-man rushes and breakaways against like they are right now.

This is all on Green, if he manages to break our one shot at a legit future Vezina winner then JB has to get rid of him because right now his stupid risky offensive system is leaving both of our goalies out to dry. 

Got to feel for Demko, he's under a lot of pressure after Marky left as well to become our future and right now probably doesn't feel like the future's going very well. Something needs to change systems-wise to build Demko's game back up.

Yea Demko did some great matches but also fell kinda flat on others. At least comparing to from whenl Nilsson left, he is still inconsistent like most young goalies are. He needs to be more consistent and raise his lowest level. Goalie is not the main issue right now, Demko is still pretty good, he and Holtby needs more help and not stand against a bunch of breakaways like the Montreal series. Hes clearly better then the current season stats show like most of the guys on the team are. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

After 5 games:  Jacob Markstrom SV% = .911

Thatcher Demko SV% = .909...............:)

Hugely boosted by these last two games. He's been incredible, but I'm more keen on consistently strong netminding than the occasional dominant night. So far, he's reminiscent of the old Markstrom who had the same struggles. I'm hopeful that Demko will get more consistent as he enters his mid and late 20s.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Hugely boosted by these last two games. He's been incredible, but I'm more keen on consistently strong netminding than the occasional dominant night. So far, he's reminiscent of the old Markstrom who had the same struggles. I'm hopeful that Demko will get more consistent as he enters his mid and late 20s.

It's pretty much what to expect. This is his 2nd year as a regular. He has less than 40 games started.

He is still very inexperienced. Marky at his age had around the same amount of games started I believe. 

Holtby will be what Miller was to Markstrom for Demko and on top of that, Demko was with Marky to begin his career here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's pretty much what to expect. This is his 2nd year as a regular. He has less than 40 games started.

He is still very inexperienced. Marky at his age had around the same amount of games started I believe. 

Holtby will be what Miller was to Markstrom for Demko and on top of that, Demko was with Marky to begin his career here.

Almost exactly--Demko has 42 career regular season games right now. At about 25 years old, Markstrom had 50 games and was serving as the starter in Utica. At 26, he became an NHL backup, so in that sense, Demko's a couple years ahead, though Marky was the Florida backup before he went back to the AHL in Vancouver.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think it is really fair to expect total consistency right out of the gate from him or anybody else, especially with no training camp. His play is miles ahead of where Markie's was at his age. The only goalie we have ever had who will likely make the Hall of Fame was notorious for playing poorly at the beginning of most seasons.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think it is really fair to expect total consistency right out of the gate from him or anybody else, especially with no training camp. His play is miles ahead of where Markie's was at his age. The only goalie we have ever had who will likely make the Hall of Fame was notorious for playing poorly at the beginning of most seasons.

Indeed, my judgement will be reserved for the long-term. We'll see how he develops as the season goes on and into next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me like we either win games because of Demko or lose them because of him. He's either incredible, or pretty bad.

Obviously, these stats are going to be biased in favour of the results, but we can compare Demko vs Holtby.

First, the more standard case, Braden Hotlby:

HoltbyStats.png

In our wins, Hotlby is about an average goaltender, and in our losses, he plays poorly. Fairly standard I suspect.

Now, for contrast, see the extremes of Demko:

DemkoStats.png

Note how insanely dominant Demko is in his three wins. Yet despite this, when he loses, he performs even worse than Holtby, despite having a higher overall average save percentage. Holtby seems to be much more consistent, but just not very good. Demko seems to have high highs, but also lower lows. A relatively small sample size also needs to be considered a weakness of this analysis, however.

All in all, it's probably fairly standard for young goaltenders, especially ones just starting to get more games. It reminds me very much of Markstrom in his earlier years, which is, really, not a bad thing. Just have to hope that like Markstrom, he eventually learns to be more stable and consistently good.

• Vintage 1