The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

On 2/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, Fred65 said:

Just took a look at goalies ages and found this ( it is last season ) I'd say Markstrom has more than a few years left

2019‑2020 NHL Goalie Stats (quanthockey.com)

Markstrom’s career arc is very similar to Devan Dubnyk. Same size. Highly touted 1st rounder, took years to develop, finally found his way under a new goalie coach (Burke). Had a few years where he was considered an all-star, and was a finalist for the Vezina.

Then, very suddenly, his game fell off a cliff. It was his age 33 season. Markstrom is obviously a different player, but if he has the same career arc, his contract will be a problem in year 3. He’s having more injury troubles than Dubnyk, so it may even happen sooner.

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Yeah, I've been fairly impressed with Demmer to this point.

Obviously his record is poor, and he hasn't been good to the point of stealing wins, but he does look very calm and poised in net.

That's about as good as we can hope for with this roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

and he hasn't been good to the point of stealing wins,

Quick look at the stats says:

Jan 25 he faced 36 shots saving 35 for a 0.972 avg in a 7-1 win. Canucks outshot by 1,  with 6 more hits than Ott.

Jan 27 he faced 43 shots saving 42 for a 0.976 avg in a 5-1 win. Canucks outshot by 7 out hit by 9

Jan 27, is a steal in my book

Jan 25, he played very well, but not a steal.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401272184

On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, Mackcanuck said:
Demko top 10!

Dim Jim should have kept Markstrom! :frantic:

On 3/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Markstrom 14. :lol:. I think Thatcher is going to be just fine. 

Wait, what?!  :shock:

• Haha 2

What a beauty Demko is, and his preference for March career-first shutouts :lol: (I know the 2020 SC run one is a different month). 

He has a March first career pro shutout for the Comets, and a March first career regular season shutout for the Canucks. Go Thatcher Go! :towel:

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, HKSR said:

We truly have an elite player in every position with this young core... now just need the right supporting cast (ie. bottom 6)

thats on the way too. Expansion and covid cap might make some good options available to us, along with guys like Lind continuing to develop. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

What happened to Marky??

spacer.png

Has played 17 games out of the 26 the team has played.  Was injured for a few games as well.

Imo he played too much and got tired, then injured, now trying to get back to game speed.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Has played 17 games out of the 26 the team has played.  Was injured for a few games as well.

Imo he played too much and got tired, then injured, now trying to get back to game speed.

Maybe he misses vancouver more than vancouver misses him?

Edited by 73 Percent