The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

I am so glad Demko 25, is playing great hockey...I always said I am so glad we never signed Markstrom 31 - 6 X 6 million -- 

All those negative fans early on in the season...

Holtby signing was also good at the time, fans would of gone crazy if we never signed  a good veteran goalie  to play beside Demko..

Demko 25 , 6'4" -  I see Demko being a #1 goalie here for 7 years, to go on some long playoff runs...Cup good chance in next 2-5 years...

GP 60 --GAA 2.30 ---.925 PCT -- Bright Future...Top 10 goalie with this core...

Petey  22- Hughes 21--Horvat  25 - Boeser 23 -  Miller 27-- Demko 25-- Podkolzin 19-- Rathbone 22--Hoglander 20 --Motte 24 - Virtanen 24 ? - MacEwen 23 -

Julevi  22 - Woo 20 ---Dipietro 21  -- Lind -22 ---Gadjovich 22--Lockwood 22 -- Jasek 23 --Jurmo 19 -- Persson 19  

SO SO EXCITING....GO CAANUCKS GO

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am so glad Demko 25, is playing great hockey...I always said I am so glad we never signed Markstrom 31 - 6 X 6 million -- 

All those negative fans early on in the season...

Holtby signing was also good at the time, fans would of gone crazy if we never signed  a good veteran goalie  to play beside Demko..

Demko 25 , 6'4" -  I see Demko being a #1 goalie here for 7 years, to go on some long playoff runs...Cup good chance in next 2-5 years...

GP 60 --GAA 2.30 ---.925 PCT -- Bright Future...Top 10 goalie with this core...

Petey  22- Hughes 21--Horvat  25 - Boeser 23 -  Miller 27-- Demko 25-- Podkolzin 19-- Rathbone 22--Hoglander 20 --Motte 24 - Virtanen 24 ? - MacEwen 23 -

Julevi  22 - Woo 20 ---Dipietro 21  -- Lind -22 ---Gadjovich 22--Lockwood 22 -- Jasek 23 --Jurmo 19 -- Persson 19  

SO SO EXCITING....GO CAANUCKS GO

I’ve criticized Holtby this season when he hasn’t played well but I understand the value of his experience and love that Demko gets a number 2 he can learn things from. I still think the Holtby signing is good.

Demko's walking into 2019-20 Markstrom territory here. I'd say he's top 10 in Vezina this year so far and if you put the homer glasses on, you might be able to make a #5 or so case.

Absolutely crazy to think that people were second-guessing JB's decision to let Marky go over Demko.

Demko's played 18 games, Markstrom 17. Demko has a better Sv% and GAA than Markstrom, and the same number of wins (2 more losses though).

I do wonder what the "expected goals saved" would be but by watching the games, Demko's probably saved a lot more than Marky this season too.

This should never have been a question, Demko was on par with Marky last season and Markstrom just showed some elite talent later in the season, Demko did the same in the playoffs. Now we're watching Marky tail off a bit (as he enters a stupid 6x6M contract) while Demko looks like he's playing his way into elite territory and is going to earn himself a similar big deal.

The start of the season was rough but even then, it's not like Demko was losing us games or letting in bad goals the way Holtby has, he was just playing average. Now he's playing his best, solid hockey and it's showing. Shame is our defence still lets up 30-40 shots a game but this season now rests on Demko's shoulders.

With a proper training camp and hopefully hotter start to the season, I wonder how good he can make this coach and team look next year...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Yeah, Demko now .916 save percentage compared to Markstrom's .907

This is early, but I would say that JB made the right decision on letting Markstrom walk. Too much term and too high a price.

Considering how bad we were in the first 20 games, defensively, Demko's numbers could easily be up in the .928 range if we had paid any attention to defense in that period of time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

At this rate he’s gonna be pricey to re-sign if he keeps up this pace. 

He'd be a much safer 6x6 signing given his age. That said, I think due to COVID cap issues, Benning will try to bridge deal him for something around 3/4M for two years or so.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, -AJ- said:

He'd be a much safer 6x6 signing given his age. That said, I think due to COVID cap issues, Benning will try to bridge deal him for something around 3/4M for two years or so.

2 years he’s a UFA. I’d try a one year show me type.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

2 years he’s a UFA. I’d try a one year show me type. 

Hm yeah, then Benning would push for 1 year probably. His agent would likely push for two or a long-term deal though.

No way Demko is getting 6 million.

Those kind of contracts are given to proven starters and cup winning goalies.

Get him on a 4 year 4-4.5 million dollar deal. Still allows him to get his big contract at 28 when he’s proven himself.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No way Demko is getting 6 million.

Those kind of contracts are given to proven starters and cup winning goalies.

Get him on a 4 year 4-4.5 million dollar deal. Still allows him to get his big contract at 28 when he’s proven himself.

Personally I'd give him the Anderson 5x5 or maybe if we are lucky 6 years x 5 mill. I'd rather get him signed longer term. 

On 3/9/2021 at 7:36 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Absolutely crazy to think that people were second-guessing JB's decision to let Marky go over Demko.

Demko's played 18 games, Markstrom 17. Demko has a better Sv% and GAA than Markstrom, and the same number of wins (2 more losses though).

I do wonder what the "expected goals saved" would be but by watching the games, Demko's probably saved a lot more than Marky this season too.

This should never have been a question, Demko was on par with Marky last season and Markstrom just showed some elite talent later in the season, Demko did the same in the playoffs. Now we're watching Marky tail off a bit (as he enters a stupid 6x6M contract) while Demko looks like he's playing his way into elite territory and is going to earn himself a similar big deal.

The start of the season was rough but even then, it's not like Demko was losing us games or letting in bad goals the way Holtby has, he was just playing average. Now he's playing his best, solid hockey and it's showing. Shame is our defence still lets up 30-40 shots a game but this season now rests on Demko's shoulders.

With a proper training camp and hopefully hotter start to the season, I wonder how good he can make this coach and team look next year...

This year Demko is at 5.7 Expected goals saved compared to markstrom at -3.6

Demko working his way into a nice juicy contract, I wonder if this season is enough for JB to dish out a long contract. 6x6M seems to be the hot flavour at the moment, not sure if Demko is proven enough for that yet. He might opt for a 4-5M x 2 bridge contract but I think Demko starts for the rest of the season and plays lights-out. 

A bridge contract would work better with so much cap coming off the books in 2 year's time but Demko deserves 5-6M x 6 years. Holtby sucking up 4M as a back-up is rediculous cap management again by JB so fingers-crossed Seattle snag him (but to be honest I don't think he's good enough, there are probably far better goalies around).