The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Demko working his way into a nice juicy contract, I wonder if this season is enough for JB to dish out a long contract. 6x6M seems to be the hot flavour at the moment, not sure if Demko is proven enough for that yet. He might opt for a 4-5M x 2 bridge contract but I think Demko starts for the rest of the season and plays lights-out. 

A bridge contract would work better with so much cap coming off the books in 2 year's time but Demko deserves 5-6M x 6 years. Holtby sucking up 4M as a back-up is rediculous cap management again by JB so fingers-crossed Seattle snag him (but to be honest I don't think he's good enough, there are probably far better goalies around).

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Demko working his way into a nice juicy contract, I wonder if this season is enough for JB to dish out a long contract. 6x6M seems to be the hot flavour at the moment, not sure if Demko is proven enough for that yet. He might opt for a 4-5M x 2 bridge contract but I think Demko starts for the rest of the season and plays lights-out. 

A bridge contract would work better with so much cap coming off the books in 2 year's time but Demko deserves 5-6M x 6 years. Holtby sucking up 4M as a back-up is rediculous cap management again by JB so fingers-crossed Seattle snag him (but to be honest I don't think he's good enough, there are probably far better goalies around).

was it though? Demko had 3 amazing games but hadn't proven he was a starter yet. If Benning went and got a C grade backup, he would have been giving up on the season and/or expecting way too much out of Demko to begin the year. As it turns out, it sure looks like we have a bonafide starter on our hands here. When Holtby was signed the feeling was Demko and him might split the year evenly, so not really a backup. 

I'd sure like to see either a 1 or a 4 or 5 year deal for Demko tho. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Searching for a contract comparable for Demko... maybe Elvis Merzlikins? got a healthy raise up to 4AAV after one good year but that deal stinks as he's a UFA at the end of it, which is what I'd like to avoid here. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

was it though? Demko had 3 amazing games but hadn't proven he was a starter yet. If Benning went and got a C grade backup, he would have been giving up on the season and/or expecting way too much out of Demko to begin the year. As it turns out, it sure looks like we have a bonafide starter on our hands here. When Holtby was signed the feeling was Demko and him might split the year evenly, so not really a backup. 

I'd sure like to see either a 1 or a 4 or 5 year deal for Demko tho. 

I agree, JB was in a tough position, and I never liked the Holtby signing because I had a feeling that he would be terrible (was bad for 2 seasons behind a stacked Washington team, now is worse and getting exposed behind a dreadful Canucks defence) but absolutely understand why he did it and have said before - a lot of that Holtby-cap goes towards mentoring and helping Demko. There were plenty of other, possibly better goalies on the market last season but Holtby fit JB's idea better.

Now for better or for worse, Demko is playing like a proper 70-game starter with no signs of fatigue, so whether that's thanks to Holtby, or just thanks to himself, we'll never know. Either way, JB's going to have to find a way to squeeze all the cap in.

I think a 4M deal for 2 years would fit perfectly with a lot of our plans and hopefully Demko's - let him prove himself consistently and then pay the kid big time with a juicy extension. Bennington and Marky getting paid 6x6M isn't quite the right contract comparison for Demko, he doesn't have that body of work behind him, but he's not far off. 

On 3/14/2021 at 12:19 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

At this rate he’s gonna be pricey to re-sign if he keeps up this pace. 

On 3/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, -AJ- said:

He'd be a much safer 6x6 signing given his age. That said, I think due to COVID cap issues, Benning will try to bridge deal him for something around 3/4M for two years or so.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, DeNiro said:

No way Demko is getting 6 million.

Those kind of contracts are given to proven starters and cup winning goalies.

Get him on a 4 year 4-4.5 million dollar deal. Still allows him to get his big contract at 28 when he’s proven himself.

On 3/14/2021 at 3:09 PM, Outsiders said:

Personally I'd give him the Anderson 5x5 or maybe if we are lucky 6 years x 5 mill. I'd rather get him signed longer term. 

I'm with Outsiders - now is the time to go long term with Demko. If they kick the can down the road the price is only going to go up.

With only 1 year under his belt as a starter, maybe they could get him long term around 5. If so that's the play - would look like a steal in time. 

Luongo came to Vancouver at age 27 and spent 8 years here.  He was pretty fantastic during his time here. For most fans, the best Vancouver goalie ever. (Although some like Mclean or even Brodeur).

Demko is 25 and already on his second year here (plus a few games prior to that).  He is starting to play like a top goalie.  If his development continues he has a chance to be pretty darn special by the time he is 27... 

A top goalie in his prime for 8 to 10 years gives you a good chance to win a cup.  It's early.  But man..

11 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Luongo came to Vancouver at age 27 and spent 8 years here.  He was pretty fantastic during his time here. For most fans, the best Vancouver goalie ever. (Although some like Mclean or even Brodeur).

Demko is 25 and already on his second year here (plus a few games prior to that).  He is starting to play like a top goalie.  If his development continues he has a chance to be pretty darn special by the time he is 27... 

A top goalie in his prime for 8 to 10 years gives you a good chance to win a cup.  It's early.  But man..

Look at what happened to Price. The same thing will likely happen to Demko. It is still a team game and I am seeing little progress on the d-side that would make the dif in taking the group to CUP play. Loungo never won a Cup. End of conversation when it comes to all time greats. He might be remembered for a few years.

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Look at what happened to Price. The same thing will likely happen to Demko. It is still a team game and I am seeing little progress on the d-side that would make the dif in taking the group to CUP play. Loungo never won a Cup. End of conversation when it comes to all time greats. He might be remembered for a few years.

I agree that the weak point for the team is still the D.  Hughes has obviously been a huge addition, and while Rathbone looks like he should be good with encouraging signs from Woo as well, the D still looks a long way from being a contending D core.  That being said, NYI has had a great deal of success with a D core that isn't exactly filled with stars, so it's possible that the Canucks aren't too far away.

Hopefully the Canucks can either see significant growth from existing D or bring in additional help while Demko is in his prime.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that the weak point for the team is still the D.  Hughes has obviously been a huge addition, and while Rathbone looks like he should be good with encouraging signs from Woo as well, the D still looks a long way from being a contending D core.  That being said, NYI has had a great deal of success with a D core that isn't exactly filled with stars, so it's possible that the Canucks aren't too far away.

Hopefully the Canucks can either see significant growth from existing D or bring in additional help while Demko is in his prime.

This upcoming draft is key for drafting defensemen. we need more defensemen with higher end upside. Woo, is going to be a great complimentary piece. So is Rathbone. But we need probably 1-2 more core pieces on the defensive corps, everyone else is considered depth in my opinion. Right now, we have Hughes, and that's about it. Juolevi, I'd like to think is going to be a complimentary piece to the defense as well, maybe Tryamkin, though I have a feeling he's not going to be back in Canuck colours. 

I like Demko. I've always been a huge supporter of his even when Markström was here. I don' t know if his level of play currently is sustainable, but he's playing really well, and that's been huge for the Canucks. It's a weird season isn't it? A month ago, the Canucks were in games they should have won, but didn't, and now they're not really playing well and don't really deserve to win these games, but they are. Sheesh. 

With that said. I'd sign Demko long term. 4.5-5 million for 5-6 years. He's going to be a decent goalie at the very least, and if he hits, then we're going to get someone who's going to be had for pretty decent value for a high end starter. 

Edited by N4ZZY
4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This upcoming draft is key for drafting defensemen. we need more defensemen with higher end upside. Woo, is going to be a great complimentary piece. So is Rathbone. But we need probably 1-2 more core pieces on the defensive corps, everyone else is considered depth in my opinion. Right now, we have Hughes, and that's about it. Juolevi, I'd like to think is going to be a complimentary piece to the defense as well, maybe Tryamkin, though I have a feeling he's not going to be back in Canuck colours. 

I like Demko. I've always been a huge supporter of his even when Markström was here. I don' t know if his level of play currently is sustainable, but he's playing really well, and that's been huge for the Canucks. It's a weird season isn't it? A month ago, the Canucks were in games they should have won, but didn't, and now they're not really playing well and don't really deserve to win these games, but they are. Sheesh. 

With that said. I'd sign Demko long term. 4.5-5 million for 5-6 years. He's going to be a decent goalie at the very least, and if he hits, then we're going to get someone who's going to be had for pretty decent value for a high end starter. 

tbh if Jesper Wallstedt is there for us I'd go for him, with Demko in net for a while we can develop the kid properly and have a nice goalie pipeline going. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh if Jesper Wallstedt is there for us I'd go for him, with Demko in net for a while we can develop the kid properly and have a nice goalie pipeline going. 

Arguably my favourite goaltending prospect of the last 10 years.

But goalies are ready younger and younger, and he's already a very good SHL goaltender...

I think Demko could be our guy for the next 7-8 years. Jesper could be ready in 3-4...

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, nergish said:

But goalies are ready younger and younger, and he's already a very good SHL goaltender...

I think Demko could be our guy for the next 7-8 years. Jesper could be ready in 3-4...

Agreed. I don't think Wallstedt would take as long as many seem to think. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
45 minutes ago, nergish said:

I suspect Demko will get a 4 year deal, and will be very expensive as a UFA. I like having a replacement timing out for that. If JW is better earlier, nice problem to have.

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

IMHO the NYI have one of the best coaches in the NHL, if not the best. I haven't watched to many of their games but they looked deadly when I did. 

Holtby played well when he needed to and made some big saves against Montreal, timely saves as well, but 4 GA is still brutal and Demko would have had 2 of them.

Looking at our schedule now, we have days off between most games with only 1 back to back left. I'd certainly ride Demko hard but Holtby has to play in the long stretch in mid April.

To be honest I think Holtby should only get 3 more starts, 4 max, unless Demko starts to fatigue and let in bad goals. We were terrible against Montreal but Demko could have given us the extra point sadly.