The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I think last year was a little bit of a wake-up call for the whole group (that) just because you did it one year, doesn't mean it's going to happen every year. Coming in this year, we're going to be ready to go.”

In an article with a lot of good TD quotes, this one was my favourite. Best thing that any young athlete can learn while still young and able, is just how fleeting it can all be and how fast time can go. 

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to ask it’s not just me is it, while possitionally I believe Demko is one of the best, and he uses his size well to cover the net, but it does seem like he gives up a lot of rebounds. It’s fine when the D sweep it out and tbh with our transitional D it seems to be okay, but I have noticed a few more players start to play it in close and play for the rebounds. 

I would much prefer him to control and kill the play

Interesting article on ranking the 21-22 starters this season (based on last year and early games this season).  Demko is showing very well in a list of goalies that are mostly older than him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-starting-goalies-ranked/

Also, another article about the aging process in goalies.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2014/03/21/how-well-do-goalies-age-a-look-at-a-goalie-aging-curve/

"Conclusion:  I’m going to use the Linear aging curve going forward in my Hockey Marcels, but no matter which one you use a few points are still clear:
1.  Goalies don’t improve as they get older
2.  By age 30, goalie decline starts to get REALLY noticeable
3.  By mid-30s, even with the aging line, goalies rapidly start to fall apart.

With a few 27-32 year old goalies hitting free agency this year, teams should REALLY be careful how much and how long they pay guys who are hitting the roughest years in their careers."

Goes to show what a great contract the Canucks have with Demko.:towel:

I performed an extremely rudimentary statistical analysis of save % vs GAA to try to assess which goaltenders were the most carrying their teams and which ones were being carried by their teams. Demko finished tied for 6th in the NHL (among netminders with at least 5 games) for the most "carry" goaltenders.

For those interested, Binnington ranked 1st (11th in save % at .926 and 18th in GAA at 2.52) and Vanecek ranked last by far (23rd in save % at .906 and 13th in GAA at 2.40).

This analysis relies on the idea that GAA is more team-driven than save percentage. Also keep in mind that this is rudimentary and doesn't at all take into account things like shot quality or the number of games played (workload).

To make it more clear, guys at the bottom of this list likely don't face many shots and as a result, let in fewer goals--that is, their team makes their job easier. At the top end, these guys are likely to face far more shots and maybe allow more goals, but they allow fewer than you might expect and have a higher save percentage than you might expect from an average goaltender. These guys are more likely hung out to dry by their teams and are holding the fort.

EDIT: I decided to take a screenshot of the data to share in case anyone was interested.

Carry Goaltenders 21-22 Nov2.png

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Metal Face Doom said:

He wasn't good the last couple of games.  Not totally his fault but he needs to be better for us to have a chance.

Agreed. He's had a few big moments, but Demko historically makes some big saves to keep us in the game. Only a few games though, so I'll give him a break.

4 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

He wasn't good the last couple of games.  Not totally his fault but he needs to be better for us to have a chance.

Let'see...   OEL    Myers

Hughes  Burroughs

Hunt   Bowie

All star defence right there. 

No goalie can win consistently unless he has a set of good Defensemen in front of him.

Demko is mirroring what Marky did in his last 2-3 years with Vancouver... Marky was able to steal quite a number of games, but couldn't sustain that in the face of his collapsing defense.

Demko is an excellent goalie, and potentially a Vezina winner if the team can put a group of strong D partners in front of him who are playing a good system.

But he can't do that all on his own.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is only human and expecting him to save to team's arse on a consistent basis is beyond unreasonable, especially with the defense in front of him.

You can probably expect ups and downs in his game throughout the season like almost everybody in the NHL.

I agree with this. Although he's not been amazing recently, I don't expect him to always be perfect. I won't bat an eye at a few bad or even just sub-par games now and then.

• Cheers 1