The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

27 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Well looks like he's in need of conditioning. Everyone can back off the bure and act like krutov (for this season).

... It's called a "bag skate" for a reason..  And it's going to effect a man who is 6'8" and 250 lbs differently than someone who is 6' 1" and 190 lbs.

I would NOT read anything into his conditioning and a BAG skate.

His anaerobic conditioning from shift to shift is something far different. .  I'm sure he will be fine.

Edited by SilentSam

just saw hamius say he will struggle in his first game? What's up with this, first the Sedins and now Hamhuis, maybe they see something we haven't or they are taking the pressure off the kid, but I do prefer them saying, we know he will play hard instead saying things like OH he's not going to be the saviour or he will struggle. 

Another good article and video. 

Brings things into perspective a little more about what we can expect from Tryamkin's debut.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11787224

"Tryamkin is a 21-year-old, third-round pick who was an average player in a lesser league, and now has to adjust on the fly to a more physical game played by better, faster, more experienced players on a smaller ice surface. Chances are he’s not a top-six NHL defenceman already."

looked real good playing 1 on 1; and just like Benning says, he does not skate like his is 6'8

Edited by ABNucksfan

33 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Brings things into perspective a little more about what we can expect from Tryamkin's debut.

"Tryamkin is a 21-year-old, third-round pick who was an average player in a lesser league, and now has to adjust on the fly to a more physical game played by better, faster, more experienced players on a smaller ice surface. Chances are he’s not a top-six NHL defenceman already."

looked real good playing 1 on 1; and just like Benning says, he does not skate like his is 6'8

Looked pretty impressive in that shadow drill. Quick feet. 

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He was just playing in the KHL playoffs like 2 weeks ago and was playing more minutes than anyone.

If he looked out of shape it's because he's played some hard minutes over the last few weeks.

I met Vancouver Grizzly Bryant Big Country Reeves. 7' whaetever''and 285lbs. And he looked pretty fit compared to the average guy.

But not standing beside the great athletes in the NBA. He was still bigger, and could use his bodyweight to lean and hold off guys. But the great athletes shredded him .  Reeves never bought in to the level of fitness that the worlds best league required. He ultimately failed.

Tryamkin has some natural gifts of speed and strength. But those beach pictures with the pretty blonde that surfaced were not of a guy, at that time anyway, who had decided, then put in the work to be a worlds top athlete.

Maybe a simpler way of looking at it is comparing another exaggerated example. Byfuglien is a freakishly good athlete who was good enough he could exist when he was out of shape. He's still substantially better now that he's in shape?

Tryamkin will simply have to match the training levels of NHL athletes. Its no surprise that might not be at their level at this time.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

just saw hamius say he will struggle in his first game? What's up with this, first the Sedins and now Hamhuis, maybe they see something we haven't or they are taking the pressure off the kid, but I do prefer them saying, we know he will play hard instead saying things like OH he's not going to be the saviour or he will struggle. 

KHL and NHL are different leagues and NHL is a smaller rink, so I can see why they say that or maybe it's to lower people's expectations.

55 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

KHL and NHL are different leagues and NHL is a smaller rink, so I can see why they say that or maybe it's to lower people's expectations.

Or maybe it's to pump him up, and prove them wrong.

8 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

The difference is, last year Tryamkin was on the bottom pairing and not even playing every game.  This year he finished the season as consistently the top minute-man on the team.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The difference is, last year Tryamkin was on the bottom pairing and not even playing every game.  This year he finished the season as consistently the top minute-man on the team.

yup seemed to gain a lot of confidence in his coaches this year, playing good minutes, thats a positive for sure. Same thing could happen from this year to next with us also, not top minutes but more next year compared to this 

I look at the jump Horvat over the course of the offseason as the benchmark for improvement. Do I expect Trauma and our other young guns to follow? No, but it would make us something special.

Try will play sheltered minutes with Hamhuis sticking close by.  Don't be surprised if he's comes in around the 7-10min mark.  Bring him along slowly and let him get used to the crazy NHL game (and fans).  He has so much transitioning to do on the ice and away from it.  Most of the real work will be done in the offseason.  These games will just give him a taste of the NHL and an opportunity for the coaching staff to assess his abilities and what needs to be developed.

I hope Van fans are really patient with this guy.  He will need lots of time to get his game up to speed.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Today's the last day of Tryamkin's legendary status on CDC. ☺☺

Only 9 plus hours until he's considered a bust.... 

I found this post way more amusing than I should have. 

Here's to hoping that he has a good debut tonight! I'd be pretty happy with him just doing a good job of clearing guys out of our crease.

• Upvote 1