The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

I thought it was an overall, successful debut. I do agree that he did, at times, look a little confused, but for a guy who can't communicate with his teammates yet, I thought he did a great job and will only get better as he gets more games in. 

Time to get my Tryamkin jersey?

13 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I thought the biggest thing that put him out of position a couple times was his uncertainty on when to attack the puck carrier. One of his first shifts he thought about moving forward to keep the puck in, stopped halfway and decided to turn to defend the puck carrier, but by that time the Avalanche player with the puck had way more momentum than he did so he got left chasing. Not a case of being slow, just a matter of positioning that can and will be coached.

The good thing about Tryamkin is that his reach can compensate for being slightly out of position at times. A couple of times he managed to knock pucks away when he looked beaten, and also did well to make sure he got the puck and not the player's feet. Throw in the assist off a nice point shot and overall, about as good a debut as you can ask for from a guy who's never played a pro game in North America before.

Great point, this is such a key mental part of the game for defenseman, that quick decision making on whether to attack or retreat on a close play. I know as a plug beer leaguer defenseman my timing can be thrown off pretty bad by mental fatigue, so as a guy who has done a complete 180 on his sleeping schedule and probably has some new team/league jitters I think he'll fix this up quick. I've never heard bad things about his decision making.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2016 at 4:48 PM, Harvey Spector said:

I don't think he's even wearing shoulder pads. Does he plan on playing without them?  Also that helmet looks a bit tight. They must not have his size for all of his equipment. Hopefully he brought his own skates and sticks.

Virtanen looks like his kid brother. And he's 215 pounds... LOL!!

Virtanen has to be over 220lbs right now. He's gotta be closer to 230.

The 'flaws' in his game last night were clearly things that will come with coaching, practice, familiarity etc.

The basic things I was looking for were all there. Played a smart game, broke up plays with his reach got guys off the puck by leaning on them etc. 

The shot/assist was gravy.

Quite pleased with his debut::D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The 'flaws' in his game last night were clearly things that will come with coaching, practice, familiarity etc.

The basic things I was looking for were all there. Played a smart game, broke up plays with his reach got guys off the puck by leaning on them etc. 

The shot/assist was gravy.

Quite pleased with his debut::D

One of the things I saw between him and Lidster was on that point about using his reach I think - Lidster was moving his arm like he was telling him to reach in and shovel the puck away from a guy. For just 2 practices and never playing on NHL ice it was a nice debut. 

Edited by Bob Long

23 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Virtanen has to be over 220lbs right now. He's gotta be closer to 230.

He was 230lbs before training camp. However, he was on the badside of the 230 pounds. He gained a lot of fat which you could tell from his lower body. He trimmed it down to 215 pounds. 

If you've watched Virtanen closely from the start of the year to where he is now, his body changed a lot. He had a chubby face and his lower-body looked very chubby but as the season went on, Virtanen's body changed and it looks much better and much fit. And no, it's not like I was staring at his body but really you can tell how his body changed throughout the course of the year.

Edited by Odd.

Some silly fun with stats having a small sample size ...

I think everyone has been selling Tryamkin short and the expectations have been too low.

After all, after only 1 NHL game:

-Tryamkin leads all Canucks, forward or defence, with 5.19 pts/60 minutes.  He has a very large margin over the next two stalwart leading Canuck scorers per 60 min, Taylor Fedun and Mike Zalewski.  Extrapolated over 17 games at say 12 min per game, and he rates to finish the season with 18 points, more than a ppg

-The Canucks have given up a lot of shots this season and most are below 50% in Shots For %, but Tryamkin against leads the team at 53.3%.

-this season the Canucks haven't been a mighty possession team, but Tryamkin leads all Canuck defencemen with a FF% of 52.9.    Of course, he is still behind Canucks' FF% leader Mike Zalewski.

-he is particularly impressive in CF%-Tryamkin is the only Canuck skater over 50%, with an excellent CF% of 55.6%, well ahead of Hammer, who is 2nd on the team.

Of course, some of those stats may decrease slightly once he's on the ice for  a defensive zone faceoff, which didn't happen against the Avalanche or once he faces close to average opposition (he's even more sheltered regarding opponents played against than Grenier and Friesen have been).

Will he continue those stats, or turn into a bust?  To answer a poll in another thread, the next Canuck d-man can be Tryamkin!

To return to a semblance of seriousness, it is impressive that with a defensive group as weak as that one was, WD still managed to limit Tryamkin's ice time to 11:33 and to limit his responsibility as much as he did-clearly weaker than average opponents, no defensive zone faceoffs.

Just now, Stierlitz said:

There is an interview with Nikita in Russian media after the first game: http://www.championat.com/hockey/article-243346-trjamkin-rossijskaja-para-zashhitnikov-v-vankuvere-jeto-kruto.html . I will try to translate...

Q: How did you feel during your first shift in the NHL? Has your dream been completed? A: Sure you can say that my dream comes true. I was little nervous, first shift lasted just 12 seconds (smiling). It was faceoff, I got to the ice, tried to avoid any unnecessary moves, did not do anything creative. We did not plan such short shift (smiling), this just happened that the puck got into their zone, I skated a little bit. So that was enough for the first time. In general I am satisfied with my play but large minus is that we lost.

Q: Initially you were planned to play with another Russian Andrey Pedan. Did you meet before? A: No, we did not know each other, met for the first time just today morning. He is a great guy, helps me a lot with translation and understanding situation. It is obvious that he has played a lot in NA. He has plenty of experience in playing on little size rinks so he provides me with many advices that help me on the ice. Yes, the Russian pair of defensemen is cool. Russian players have not played for Vancouver for long time and now there are two of us.

Q: Were you impressed with atmosphere in the Rogers Arena? A: I like everything, the atmosphere there was just bomb, so many fans! I heard their shouting when I got on the ice for the first time. The arena literally exploded, I appreciate this very much. I understand that the local team is loved by fans and supported by them. Great that they stand by the team despite its current difficulties.

Q: What did you think when you got your first point in the first game in the NHL? A: I did not understand first that I got the point. Henrik Sedin came to me and told to take the puck. I thought that there were two more passes after my shot and asked Henrik why I would need that pack (laughing). After the game I was given that puck and confirmed that I collected my first point in the NHL. Apparently Daniel and Henrik were passing to each other so you might say that my start was not bad.

Q: Not many players start in the NHL with points. Do you feel that this is special moment? A: Yes obviously, but how would you not get points playing with such excellent players?  The game in general was pretty good. Our mistakes cost us but this is hockey. Only one who does not do anything does not make mistake. We will try to improve the situation and get better results.

Q: In the situation with the third goal when you were on the ice, would you do something differently? A: I took position taking the centre and did not suspect that the puck could go in at such angle. I did not have time to block the shot in the last moment. The coach said afterwards that that I did the right thing. Probably I could save the moment but was not lucky.

Q: Did you talk to Willie Desjardins after the game? A: Yes, Wille said that I played well. I just tried not to do anything unnecessary and to make quick decisions. Comparing to the KHL, the time to think is shorter by 2-3 seconds. You think a little bit and someone is already approaching you to destroy. There were some moments with my hits. The ice size is smaller so it is easier to make hits. For instance Misha Grigorenko said that I hit pretty hard Duchene and asked why I destroyed his partner (smiling). Of course that was the first game, I was not perfect, but it will be better later on. Defensive coach told me that I was not bad. I take this as the starting point.

I was hoping you would do the translation.  

Thank you for your time sir. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I was hoping you would do the translation.  

Thank you for your time sir. 

You are very welcome. And thank you, SilentSam, Hutton Wink and many others for following and supporting Nikita in the last several months, even when no one expected him to make the NHL so soon!

• Upvote 3