The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Played really well I thought, his poke checking is probably the best on the team.

I think Nikita is getting Willie's trust: he played 17:07 and was second in penalty killing time with 1:01, C. Tanev was first in SH with 1:10. Nikita needs more games to get his confidence back, right now he is adjusting to the new league.

• Upvote 2

17 mins of ice is pretty good time for his second NHL game!  ... It certainly sounds like he is getting WD's and Baumgartners trust..  Nikita  is the perfect proffesional with his approach to his game...  Im sure once he times his physical play and presence,. He will be told to "show" us what youve got, and dont worry about the mistakes.

in all of the video ive seen of NT,. Once he gets his great speed up , he is almost unstoppable,. Rarely guys get in front of him or challenge him on the boards if he is bringing the puck up or out of his end..

i think by next weekend,. We will see how well he has adjusted.

good luck Nik !!

• Upvote 1

Based off these two games, which although is a tiny sample size, I see at least a solid third pairing defender (the kind that although is third pairing, is still a vital role player). I'm not putting a ceiling on him, and he could be more. But if we get a solid 4-6 role defender out of him, we have a solid win. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yotes said:

looks to be more of a friendly giant so far, but that said he could be trying to stay away from taking a penalty. Really like his game and how he effectively uses his stick and makes a good pass.

Keep on Keeping on #88, let Pedan be the aggressive one for now your time will come

I thought the same thing and then all of a sudden he cross checked Maroon to the ice. I was pleased. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Very impressed with his game tonight. He looked way less nervous and was constantly making good plays. Was one of our better D tonight, in fact. Looked like he's comfortable already.

I was actually shocked how decent he looked. Some nice stick checks and looks like a strong guy who has a decent shot. Steal for a 3rd round pick. It was good of Henrik to tell the media to calm down. Lowered expectations a tad. 

I think his play takes off pressure to nab Chychrun maybe (who may have shoulder...?) and get a top flight scoring forward or scoring D man?

If we go for a Bean for our powerplay maybe that means moving a d-man.

who knows till we know our seed but speculating is half the fun.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think his play takes off pressure to nab Chychrun maybe (who may have shoulder...?) 

Oh man, I don't think we can risk taking a player without any shoulders...I prefer two, but you have to think that one is the minimum for a high pick. 

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I thought the same thing and then all of a sudden he cross checked Maroon to the ice. I was pleased. 

Tryamkin cross checked Maroon in response to the Maroon's late hit to Tryamkin behind the net earlier...

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he continues to get the Chara non calls for being so big and strong. the cross check to maroon looked like a normal shove, maybe Maroon tried to sell it.

He jumped to absorb a hit along the boards from Hendricks I think, thought that was kind of odd. TOnight the Blues have some bigger forwards should be interesting to see if they test him with their grit and physical play.

Ive been impressed for a 3rd round pick who is 21 to be playing NHL games for the Canucks....That is literally a walk off game winning home run for us! We never get that! Thankfully we got Hutton too, who I hope we lock up long term early this summer!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, danaimo said:

His long reach and poke check are going to drive opponents crazy.  What I liked most about his game last night was that no one was parked on top of Markstrom's crease. In fact the Edm forwards didn't seem to want to come within 20 feet of the Canucks net. He looked comfortable with increase in minutes.  2 games in, there is a lot to like about him. 

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Hopefully he continues to get the Chara non calls for being so big and strong. the cross check to maroon looked like a normal shove, maybe Maroon tried to sell it.

He jumped to absorb a hit along the boards from Hendricks I think, thought that was kind of odd. TOnight the Blues have some bigger forwards should be interesting to see if they test him with their grit and physical play.

Ive been impressed for a 3rd round pick who is 21 to be playing NHL games for the Canucks....That is literally a walk off game winning home run for us! We never get that! Thankfully we got Hutton too, who I hope we lock up long term early this summer!

The guys on the radio mentioned that Tryamkin was the best on the team for suppressing shot attempts, while creating chances too. He looks like a bigger version of Dana Murzin, with offensive instincts too.  He jumped into the rush a couple of times, and went straight to the far post.  I really like his game.  He will certainly become a minute muncher for us.  I hope he and Pedan become regulars.  We need these bigger D men to do the heavy lifting, to free up Tanev and Hutton.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

He's not a typical 21 year old because he has 188 games of pro in the KHL already.  I was surprised how well he seems to be adjusting after only 2 games.  That may just be the nerves disappearing though.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think his play takes off pressure to nab Chychrun maybe (who may have shoulder...?) and get a top flight scoring forward or scoring D man?

If we go for a Bean for our powerplay maybe that means moving a d-man.

who knows till we know our seed but speculating is half the fun.

It was very fortunate to be able to play Tryamkin this season.  How he shows over the final dozen or so games will for sure affect many of Bennings decisions this off season.  Best case scenario, if NT looks like he is a bona fide #4, that could mean going after a high end scoring winger in free agency.....we'll wait and see on that though.  Also, like Hairy says, Benning could afford to be more flexible with his drafting choices.  Go after the power play quarterback vs the all round D.

• Upvote 1

From what I have seen he does have decent speed,has a good stick,could be a bit more physical and looks out of position at times, other then that will take him time but will be a great d man in the future and is worth keeping on the big club!

11 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

From what I have seen he does have decent speed,has a good stick,could be a bit more physical and looks out of position at times, other then that will take him time but will be a great d man in the future and is worth keeping on the big club!

I think he's better at this stage of his career than Chara was. He looked "OK" last night and so it's reasonable to believe he will improve on that. Yeah a keeper for sure and frankly Pedan looks like he's settling in to