The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So far I don't think he has won the spot.  There's some pretty stiff competition this year and we haven't even seen if Sbisa has improved his game.   Pedan appears to have improved and the 2 righties are looking good.

He will likely stay with the team, as management will carry 8 dmen.  It's kind of a shame that Tram didn't come over to NA earlier in his career, as I think he would be further along with his development.  I also wish that he would go along with spending some time in Utica, but it seems it's NHL or return to Russia for him.

He's kind of a wild card, as his tremendous size (and reach) can be a huge advantage for him.  His skating isn't bad and he doesn't appear to shy away from aggressive players.  It's still early days, as he really hasn't had much experience in the NHL as of yet.

thanks for the analysis

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

So far I don't think he has won the spot.  There's some pretty stiff competition this year and we haven't even seen if Sbisa has improved his game.   Pedan appears to have improved and the 2 righties are looking good.

He will likely stay with the team, as management will carry 8 dmen.  It's kind of a shame that Tram didn't come over to NA earlier in his career, as I think he would be further along with his development.  I also wish that he would go along with spending some time in Utica, but it seems it's NHL or return to Russia for him.

He's kind of a wild card, as his tremendous size (and reach) can be a huge advantage for him.  His skating isn't bad and he doesn't appear to shy away from aggressive players.  It's still early days, as he really hasn't had much experience in the NHL as of yet.

Thats a fare analogy. This guy needs some patience,but his size makes up for any deficiencies. There was one play in the third period that got whistled down because of something else. The play was in  Tryampkins zone ,I thought he was going to get burned but he easily stole the puck with his reach. I think we'll as fans will have to get used to his ability as time goes on.  

I wonder if Nikita is a student of the game? I guess it'd be hard for him to have a personal 'book' on players and tendencies with the language barrier. He will have to try and be an NHL regular based off his raw skill until he is capable of being more cerebral with regards to the English language. We have such little experience with Russians of late in Van City, and for good reason... I suppose. Carrying 8 D is a wise move to bring along Tryamkin slowly... I'm thinking he alone is the reason we will carry the 8, with only one extra forward. He'll be on the NHL roster getting NHL pay. We're kinda extending some courtesy to him when you think about it.

That being said, our D was just horrendous last year and management could be concerned about icing NHL calibre D and fresh legs.

Could be a fortunate situation, in fact I'm convinced it is. I really don't wanna see Nik leave.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

how's Tramkin doing so far in tonight's game? 

To me, he had a pretty rough first two periods. He was a bit better in the third, but not the best showing. That said, the choice to pair him with Guddy may have not been the best decision.

On October 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM, The 5th Line said:

He may be a fast skater for how big he is but he is still slow.  Him and Gudbranson weren't very good at all last night.

Baring major catastrophe, the paring of GUDBRANSON - HUTTON is already in the cards.

Tryamkin should play between 5-7D.

Edited by Me_

Tram has a ways to go.  He'll be 7/8 dman and cycle into the bottom pairing as needed.  He's been playing over his head during the pre-season and shouldn't be expected to jump into the lineup as a regular anytime soon.

Best case scenario would be if he'd agree to go spend some time developing his game in Utica.

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Tram has a ways to go.  He'll be 7/8 dman and cycle into the bottom pairing as needed.  He's been playing over his head during the pre-season and shouldn't be expected to jump into the lineup as a regular anytime soon.

Best case scenario would be if he'd agree to go spend some time developing his game in Utica.

I don't think he's in over his head. His conditioning or lack there of is whats holding him back. He gets winded easily, as he should being such a large dude. It takes a lot of energy to move around the ice when you're 6'7" 230lbs. I suspect stamina will dog him until he gets to age 25 or 26, he still has baby fat for the love of Pete. It took the Sedins 3 to 4 years to remake their bodies into what you have seen from them the last 10 years as top line players.

17 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I don't think he's in over his head. His conditioning or lack there of is whats holding him back. He gets winded easily, as he should being such a large dude. It takes a lot of energy to move around the ice when you're 6'7" 230lbs. I suspect stamina will dog him until he gets to age 25 or 26, he still has baby fat for the love of Pete. It took the Sedins 3 to 4 years to remake their bodies into what you have seen from them the last 10 years as top line players.

I thought he weighed in a 265?