The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I love the big guy, and also believe he has the highest ceiling of our current young D.  I do wonder about his summer though.  Maybe the Russian KHL guys are like it used to be over here; they play themselves into shape during the first month of the season?

Canadian players returning after KHL stints talk about it being a 'no contact' league. Big ice, lots of room behind the nets, no heavy checking and no board battles. Fans talk about prospects playing in the KHL to develop their games (Zuk) but I would be concerned that the development would be limited. The CHL and AHL are still be the best opportunity.

After watching Tryamkin this year I am thinking he has the highest ceiling of all Canuck players not just the d-core. 

Edited by Boudrias

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Canadian players returning after KHL stints talk about it being a 'no contact' league. Big ice, lots of room behind the nets, no heavy checking and no board battles. Fans talk about prospects playing in the KHL to develop their games (Zuk) but I would be concerned that the development would be limited. The CHL and AHL are still be the best opportunity. 

I agree.  I don't think there is the same pace of play, like you say.  Guys can get away with being less fit.

Last game of the season and Tryamkin smashed into the top 300 in all-time scoring.

297.  Ian Kidd D 20 4 7 11
298.  Nikita Tryamkin D 79 3 8 11
298.  Byron Ritchie C 71 3 8 11
300.  Anders Eldebrink D 43 2 9 11
300.  Brandon Convery C 19 2 9 11
302.  Alex Biega D 94 1 10 11
303.  Rob Murphy LW 73 6 4 10
304.  Adam Cracknell C 44 5 5 10
304.  Nathan LaFayette C 38 5 5 10
306.  Bert Robertsson D 69 4 6 10
306.  Jim Wiley C 37 4 6 10
306.  Jason Jaffray RW 33 4 6 10
309.  Geoff Sanderson LW 22 3 7 10
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How'd we only have LaFayette for 38 games?  He was a champ bottom-6 in our '94 cup run.

Looks like he was a career AHL/NHL tweener that played above his head for 1 spring.  Heh, picked a good time to play above the norm.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

How'd we only have LaFayette for 38 games?  He was a champ bottom-6 in our '94 cup run.

Hit the post in Game 7, leading us to lose the game and riot in the streets. Banned for life. haha

Tryamkin better not do that or he will be banned back to Russia. 

33 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Hit the post in Game 7, leading us to lose the game and riot in the streets. Banned for life. haha

Tryamkin better not do that or he will be banned back to Russia. 

If I get to watch Tryamkin in a Cup Final game #7 anytime over the next decade I will not be complaining...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I want to see more of that slap shot next year! I like Try with the green light to carry into the offensive zone he just forces himself upon a defense and at speed is pretty much unstoppable.

Yes.. I see that to Hairy,.  speed, going outside to the boards, on his back hand.. leaving his strong arm and shoulder to push off, protect, and drive.. man he is hard to stop!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yes.. I see that to Hairy,.  speed, going outside to the boards, on his back hand.. leaving his strong arm and shoulder to push off, protect, and drive.. man he is hard to stop!

These last couple of games he went for it and not sure if that was the coach or Try just throwing down and making a statement. But I think Try has been holding back to learn the league and adapt his style. I think he can see where he can over power players on the rush. I think he and the coaches should scout out those mismatches where ever possible. Especially on teeny tiny Dmen.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Are you old enough to remember a young Larry Robinson?  Tryamkin skates like that, and handles the puck really well too. Plus, he has that size (comparably) too.  This guy could become something really special if given opportunity to develop his offence.  I think it took Robinson until he was 25 to really begin to dominate all over the ice.  Tryamkin is what 22?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you old enough to remember a young Larry Robinson?  Tryamkin skates like that, and handles the puck really well too. Plus, he has that size (comparably) too.  This guy could become something really special if given opportunity to develop his offence.  I think it took Robinson until he was 25 to really begin to dominate all over the ice.  Tryamkin is what 22?

I missed a lot of those seasons (family relocated to California) but I do remeber the size and speed of Robinson. Yes that would be a great thing for Try to emulate that type of offensive attack.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think Nik sees the game and knows the tendencies of his teammates better than Desjardins..

i totally agree with you Hairy,. Next season I hope to see Nik paired up with a D man that compliments his breakout game, and for all of his forwards to recognize that when Nik decides to go, let him have that zone to accelerate through and trail him.

Yes Alf,. 22.  

I was one of the first making a comparison between Nik and Chara, while Nik was still in the KHL.

I used to watch Chara play Junior in Prince George years ago.. Nik will have exceeded Chara in talent as soon as his one-time slapshot is utilized more often. . For now, that wrister creates enough crease problems.

Nik is an incredible skater, and not just because of his size.. Robinson was more flat footed, Lumme- like ;)

Nik is special, and once he gets a comfort level, and a Coach who gives him freedom and encourages him to test his strengths, Nik will be a force.

Im hoping that is next season.

I remember seeing Nik in the WJC's, and thought that he was amazing back then.  When we got him in round three, I was super excited, and somewhat surprised he fell that much.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember seeing Nik in the WJC's, and thought that he was amazing back then.  When we got him in round three, I was super excited, and somewhat surprised he fell that much.

I too was surprised to see him undrafted after that WJC.. I guess some scouts are fearful of Russian players staying in Russia after they are drafted.. but Nik showed up, in person to both Drafts which would lead you to think the opposite.

Glad Benning did the homework, and allowed Nik his comfort level to work on his skating on the big ice in the KHL. .  It seems Nik knows himself better than anybody else ;) 

I see him improving 20%-30% from one season to the next for 3-4 years.

After that, he will be known as Tryamkin,. And no comparisons to his game will be necessary. :) 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 4