The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

I wonder if Van pays out his KHL contract to get him over next season? Canucks have never done well with Russians other than

Larinov and Bure.

Saw the young Russians beeking off against the WHL team last night. Bad sports.

Cocky bunch of kids these days from Russia, no class at all. Good show for the WHL kids being better than that compared to their Russian counterparts.

Nice.

Haven't really paid much attention to this kid, but man he looks intriguing.

Can skate really well for a big guy, can poke-check from across the street (as Ferraro says), appears willing to use his size to rub guys out and make guys pay a price for standing in front of the net. He was giving that Swede standing in front of the crease quite the work-over. He appears to know where to be in the offensive zone.

So why wasn't this guy not drafter sooner? Is he simply a late bloomer or is it a matter of consistency? Regardless I really like what I see. Hopefully he comes over in the next couple of years. The resemblance of his game to Chara is amazing.

In regards to why Tryamkin wasn't drafted sooner, what I could gather from some Russian and European sources I'd read earlier this year is that there were concerns about his consistency and discipline as a MHL (Russian junior/minors) player. Many people believed that all the tools were there as early as his first draft eligible year, but he was still quite raw and prone to mistakes and he needed some work controlling his emotions and dealing with anger/frustration (interestingly, the Canucks want him to get back in touch with his mean streak, which he's worked on controlling for the past couple years). He really seemed to blossom over the year leading up to the 2014 NHL Draft and had managed to dispel many of the concerns that had made teams a bit gunshy in previous drafts. So by 2014, there were several teams tracking him and quite a few that were hoping to grab him only a few picks later than where he was taken by Vancouver.

In regards to why Tryamkin wasn't drafted sooner, what I could gather from some Russian and European sources I'd read earlier this year is that there were concerns about his consistency and discipline as a MHL (Russian junior/minors) player. Many people believed that all the tools were there as early as his first draft eligible year, but he was still quite raw and prone to mistakes and he needed some work controlling his emotions and dealing with anger/frustration (interestingly, the Canucks want him to get back in touch with his mean streak, which he's worked on controlling for the past couple years). He really seemed to blossom over the year leading up to the 2014 NHL Draft and had managed to dispel many of the concerns that had made teams a bit gunshy in previous drafts. So by 2014, there were several teams tracking him and quite a few that were hoping to grab him only a few picks later than where he was taken by Vancouver.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

He has no goals and 2 assists through 25 games played this season so far, which sort of surprises me given from the video posted above he looks like he knows what he's doing in the offensive zone. But maybe it's more a factor of how poor his team is doing.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

He has no goals and 2 assists through 25 games played this season so far, which sort of surprises me given from the video posted above he looks like he knows what he's doing in the offensive zone. But maybe it's more a factor of how poor his team is doing.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

He has played (on average) anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes so it's tough to get a read on exactly what pairing he is on. He had a 9 minute game recently but came back to play 17 minutes in the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Van pays out his KHL contract to get him over next season? Canucks have never done well with Russians other than

Larinov and Bure.

Saw the young Russians beeking off against the WHL team last night. Bad sports.

There were some rumours that this was managements plan.

I think one more season in the KHL would be good for him. I imagine he'd have tougher competition than playing in the AHL. Also really loved that video. I know it only shows his good plays but I do like what I see and I hope he can show consistency mainly in his defensive game. Whether he develops the offensive side of the game (and I expect he will with time) will be a bonus.

I haven't seen Tryamkin lose yet, 3 games in a row Avto has knocked off division rivals ahead of them in the standings, good games too. Today looked like a playoff game in the 3rd period, lots of blocked shots, bodies flying around all over the place. Tryamkin led all players on both teams in ice time during the 3rd period.

KHL teams dress 8 defencemen, Tryamkin has been as high as #2 and as low as #6, depending on the game. It's a pretty competitive league too, there are probably 5 or 6 teams that could be swapped out with the bottom NHL teams and you would barely notice. Comparing this league with the AHL is a joke, these guys would smoke any AHL team.

Tryamkinstein looks big, fast and at times, mean. Definitely has a temper. Out of all the Canucks prospects outside the NHL, this guy is facing the toughest competition by a mile and he looks good. He can move the puck and he's got a heavy shot but his play down low and in front of the net is what's going to land him a job here and that's the best part of his game.

• Upvote 1

Hard to say, probably a little bit of everything, he still looks a little gangly and he hesitates sometimes. Ice time and off ice training should take care of most of that.

Beyond that he could shorten the back swing on his slapper, work on pivoting from backwards to forwards and get the puck up ice a little quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, and Shirokov is 4th in goals scored. Canucks had some good Russian prospects, but didn't know how to attract them to come and play in NA...

This is why I have a hideous feeling we'll never see Tryamkin in a Canucks jersey. Why come all the way over here. Try out in training camp. Then fly back to Russia if he can't crack the roster. I hope I'm wrong but he will make way more in the KHL than the AHL, or an entry level deal here. It's Koltsov all over again.

Edited by Ghostsof1915