The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

As you can see here, Tryamkin himself stated that he wanted to play in the NHL. Obviously something changed while he was here and we'll probably never know exactly what it was. It could be his family, homesickness, culture shock, the coaching, etc. But based on this interview, Benning shouldn't get any real heat for the situation unless it was a contract dispute. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, apollo said:

Wait... whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! So he left us for under a million?! That's crazy... I'm sure Jimbo could have offered 1.5?! 

Why on earth would Nichushkin take 1.2mill?! Or grigorenko 1.1?! I guess playing at home is important...

Taxation is part of it. KHL salaries are usually considered tax free (or at least the reported figures tend to represent "take home" salary). So you can roughly double those figures to get the NHL equivalent salaries (assuming an average ~50% income tax in the NHL).

Also, the reported KHL salaries, in some cases, don't include bonuses.

Still, it's fair to assume Tryamkin left some money on the table, when comparing his projected NHL salary (even after taxes) to the kind of money he's probably making in the KHL.

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Taxation is part of it. KHL salaries are usually considered tax free (or at least the reported figures tend to represent "take home" salary). So you can roughly double those figures to get the NHL equivalent salaries (assuming an average ~50% income tax in the NHL).

Also, the reported KHL salaries, in some cases, don't include bonuses.

Still, it's fair to assume Tryamkin left some money on the table, when comparing his projected NHL salary (even after taxes) to the kind of money he's probably making in the KHL.

Hmmm interesting. I didn't know about the taxes... still it bothers me though. I feel betrayed :lol:

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, D-Money said:

He won't be more valuable than Nylander - I can promise you that.

Even if TO can't afford Nylander, they can trade him for a boatload.

Ya...for a boatload of draft picks...meaning they lose a first liner just when they get to a "finals" caliber team and we have a hard-nosed 2nd-3rd liner in Jake ready to mow down boatloads of smaller/slower guys....

19 hours ago, apollo said:

Hmmm interesting. I didn't know about the taxes... still it bothers me though. I feel betrayed :lol:

The big guy was fast becoming my favourite player.  I sure hope he comes back, sooner than later.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The big guy was fast becoming my favourite player.  I sure hope he comes back, sooner than later.  

I hope so... but I'm not gonna hold my breath and be disappointed. 

Artem Chubarov never came back :(

I wonder how Chuuby's career would have panned out if he stayed with the glorious blue black and red (at the time) 

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Ya...for a boatload of draft picks...meaning they lose a first liner just when they get to a "finals" caliber team and we have a hard-nosed 2nd-3rd liner in Jake ready to mow down boatloads of smaller/slower guys....

They'd be able to trade a first-liner for a couple of solid 2nd-3rd liners, plus picks.

Saying we're better off having the inferior player is nothing short of pure idiocy.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Darius71 said:

I dont think this has been posted here, this is from a Russian language site, I ran it through chrome translator and snipped the top 2/3rds of the article that include the most interesting points - more specifically that he hasnt shut the door on returning to the NHL.

https://www.championat.com/hockey/news-2871074-trjamkin-ne-zakryvaju-dlja-sebja-dver-v-nhl-kto-znaet-kak-povernjotsja-zhizn.html

tryamkin.JPG

Hmmm

Will he still be our property in 3 years?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm

Will he still be our property in 3 years?

I think that is how it works but it won't be 3 years here in North America - think of KHL years like dog years.   One year in Sibera/KHL feels like 3 years anywhere else and one KHL season may have the big dude reconsidering life in general and some of the nice things he is no longer enjoying.    

This is the one thing I blame Benning about, totally mishandled right from the start....He should have ripped Willie a new one!

- Willie.......I don't think Willie could see past the end of his nose....he could not recognize the potential domination by Tryamkin

- fighting....OK.......you like it or you don't.......you don't kick the kid if he doesn't....he's not Canadian, heh!

- minutes...he deserved more....He sure seemed to do ok every game I watched........by the end, teams were going down the other side of the ice

- AHL.........Well, if it was a one way contract and a promise of just conditioning........but in the end he was right, so I don't know

- Wife.........Did the Canucks think this one through? Did they involve her with activities, English classes, team mates wives?

- family.......I can understand that.....maybe more so for the wife.............but plane trips are cheap! And they go both ways!

- friends......did he play on one team his whole life? Most players keep moving up changing line-mates as they go, it is natural for them

(seems like an excuse for his disappointment)

This could regress his development.......I hope not!

He just looked to have so much potential........pisses me off!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

Wonder if western media got on the guy's nerves?

How would you feel if you're playing a pro sport, far from home,(world's best league..nonetheless), but the media is constantly ripping(deceitfully) your homeland & elected leader?

Have no prob with journos simply doing their job. Today's MSM are a lying bunch of wh*res. If I'm in a new culture/society witnessing this, can't say I'd be pleased. There's a lot of arrogance within NA'n society, manifested in different ways. Times might be changing..this ain't the late 1980's anymore.

I may be missing the point but put yourself in his partners shoes. She isnt comfortable in North America...probably struggles with the language, maybe she isnt used to all the hype and media and was completely alone. Her only confidant was Nikita. He has to think about her well being too. The option to return to Russia and make more than enough money for both of them to live well was possibly to good to refuse. Thats the way it just may be???

In a year or two maybe his partner does some language courses at home and gets more confidence? Maybe they both grow up a little more and they decide to return??? Who knows?

I think his game time and deployment for the Canucks was a low factor on his decision to return to the KHL.

Again like everyone else my theory is pure speculation!

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

What are you actually saying? Tryamkin's ATOI was nearly 17mins and he didn't play on the PP. How did he deserve more?

You say you blame Benning but you don't even know what arrangements were made for the wife and you don't know if she even accepted them.

Who mentioned fighting? He wasn't asked to fight as far as I know. He was asked to put Marchand "in his pocket" Tryamkin also said his idol was Chara but he wanted to be better than him eventually. Did/does he know anything about Chara's style of play? Obviously not. Bottom line, he was partly drafted for his size and ability to use that size to intimidate. It's the NHL for goodness sake.

You then say the wife was missing her family but point out that plane travel was cheap. There is no reason why she could not have had her family visit when he was on long road trips.

The bottom line for me is Tryamkin made a mistake coming over after he was married. His wife seems to be a "home bird" and he should have discussed all the pros and cons before coming. He himself didn't seem to learn the language very well or certainly didn't have the confidence to use what he knew. How was that going to help her when they were going out in Vancouver?

None of that justifies the way he seemed to want to blame everyone else but himself like a big spoilt kid. If he has any sense he will have enrolled himself and his wife in English speaking classes in Russia and has another bite at the biscuit in 2 years time.

Do these boards EVER TIRE of trying to pin blame on this Club, the coaches, management and owners.

I found this out after criticizing Tryamkins wife.  It turns out that she speaks better English than he does and that she is also very smart.  She has a post graduate degree in Russia (Masters, I presume, don't know her field) and like so many others, would have to requalify in Canada because the degree isn't recognized.  She certainly doesn't sound like the home body type.

So, I think the wife factor is an important one here, but they were both having a hard time adjusting and being away from their family and friends who support them.  Yekaterinberg is a full 12 hour time difference.

On the way Willie developed Tryamkin, I think the results speak for themselves.  He showed up at camp out of shape and was told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play until he was NHL fit.  He bought in to this and worked very hard.  Once he was playing, we saw a gradual improvement and increase in ice time throughout the year.  He's raw, but there is talent there and has lots of potential.  It's unfortunate that he has gone back to Russia because we have no idea how his development will progress there.

It would be great if he came back in a couple years but I'm not counting on it.  

• Upvote 3
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nikita Tryamkin | #88 | D
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic