The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The big guy was fast becoming my favourite player.  I sure hope he comes back, sooner than later.  

I hope so... but I'm not gonna hold my breath and be disappointed. 

Artem Chubarov never came back :(

I wonder how Chuuby's career would have panned out if he stayed with the glorious blue black and red (at the time) 

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Ya...for a boatload of draft picks...meaning they lose a first liner just when they get to a "finals" caliber team and we have a hard-nosed 2nd-3rd liner in Jake ready to mow down boatloads of smaller/slower guys....

They'd be able to trade a first-liner for a couple of solid 2nd-3rd liners, plus picks.

Saying we're better off having the inferior player is nothing short of pure idiocy.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Darius71 said:

I dont think this has been posted here, this is from a Russian language site, I ran it through chrome translator and snipped the top 2/3rds of the article that include the most interesting points - more specifically that he hasnt shut the door on returning to the NHL.

https://www.championat.com/hockey/news-2871074-trjamkin-ne-zakryvaju-dlja-sebja-dver-v-nhl-kto-znaet-kak-povernjotsja-zhizn.html

tryamkin.JPG

Hmmm

Will he still be our property in 3 years?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hmmm

Will he still be our property in 3 years?

I think that is how it works but it won't be 3 years here in North America - think of KHL years like dog years.   One year in Sibera/KHL feels like 3 years anywhere else and one KHL season may have the big dude reconsidering life in general and some of the nice things he is no longer enjoying.    

This is the one thing I blame Benning about, totally mishandled right from the start....He should have ripped Willie a new one!

- Willie.......I don't think Willie could see past the end of his nose....he could not recognize the potential domination by Tryamkin

- fighting....OK.......you like it or you don't.......you don't kick the kid if he doesn't....he's not Canadian, heh!

- minutes...he deserved more....He sure seemed to do ok every game I watched........by the end, teams were going down the other side of the ice

- AHL.........Well, if it was a one way contract and a promise of just conditioning........but in the end he was right, so I don't know

- Wife.........Did the Canucks think this one through? Did they involve her with activities, English classes, team mates wives?

- family.......I can understand that.....maybe more so for the wife.............but plane trips are cheap! And they go both ways!

- friends......did he play on one team his whole life? Most players keep moving up changing line-mates as they go, it is natural for them

(seems like an excuse for his disappointment)

This could regress his development.......I hope not!

He just looked to have so much potential........pisses me off!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

Wonder if western media got on the guy's nerves?

How would you feel if you're playing a pro sport, far from home,(world's best league..nonetheless), but the media is constantly ripping(deceitfully) your homeland & elected leader?

Have no prob with journos simply doing their job. Today's MSM are a lying bunch of wh*res. If I'm in a new culture/society witnessing this, can't say I'd be pleased. There's a lot of arrogance within NA'n society, manifested in different ways. Times might be changing..this ain't the late 1980's anymore.

I may be missing the point but put yourself in his partners shoes. She isnt comfortable in North America...probably struggles with the language, maybe she isnt used to all the hype and media and was completely alone. Her only confidant was Nikita. He has to think about her well being too. The option to return to Russia and make more than enough money for both of them to live well was possibly to good to refuse. Thats the way it just may be???

In a year or two maybe his partner does some language courses at home and gets more confidence? Maybe they both grow up a little more and they decide to return??? Who knows?

I think his game time and deployment for the Canucks was a low factor on his decision to return to the KHL.

Again like everyone else my theory is pure speculation!

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

What are you actually saying? Tryamkin's ATOI was nearly 17mins and he didn't play on the PP. How did he deserve more?

You say you blame Benning but you don't even know what arrangements were made for the wife and you don't know if she even accepted them.

Who mentioned fighting? He wasn't asked to fight as far as I know. He was asked to put Marchand "in his pocket" Tryamkin also said his idol was Chara but he wanted to be better than him eventually. Did/does he know anything about Chara's style of play? Obviously not. Bottom line, he was partly drafted for his size and ability to use that size to intimidate. It's the NHL for goodness sake.

You then say the wife was missing her family but point out that plane travel was cheap. There is no reason why she could not have had her family visit when he was on long road trips.

The bottom line for me is Tryamkin made a mistake coming over after he was married. His wife seems to be a "home bird" and he should have discussed all the pros and cons before coming. He himself didn't seem to learn the language very well or certainly didn't have the confidence to use what he knew. How was that going to help her when they were going out in Vancouver?

None of that justifies the way he seemed to want to blame everyone else but himself like a big spoilt kid. If he has any sense he will have enrolled himself and his wife in English speaking classes in Russia and has another bite at the biscuit in 2 years time.

Do these boards EVER TIRE of trying to pin blame on this Club, the coaches, management and owners.

I found this out after criticizing Tryamkins wife.  It turns out that she speaks better English than he does and that she is also very smart.  She has a post graduate degree in Russia (Masters, I presume, don't know her field) and like so many others, would have to requalify in Canada because the degree isn't recognized.  She certainly doesn't sound like the home body type.

So, I think the wife factor is an important one here, but they were both having a hard time adjusting and being away from their family and friends who support them.  Yekaterinberg is a full 12 hour time difference.

On the way Willie developed Tryamkin, I think the results speak for themselves.  He showed up at camp out of shape and was told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play until he was NHL fit.  He bought in to this and worked very hard.  Once he was playing, we saw a gradual improvement and increase in ice time throughout the year.  He's raw, but there is talent there and has lots of potential.  It's unfortunate that he has gone back to Russia because we have no idea how his development will progress there.

It would be great if he came back in a couple years but I'm not counting on it.  

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I found this out after criticizing Tryamkins wife.  It turns out that she speaks better English than he does and that she is also very smart.  She has a post graduate degree in Russia (Masters, I presume, don't know her field) and like so many others, would have to requalify in Canada because the degree isn't recognized.  She certainly doesn't sound like the home body type.

So, I think the wife factor is an important one here, but they were both having a hard time adjusting and being away from their family and friends who support them.  Yekaterinberg is a full 12 hour time difference.

On the way Willie developed Tryamkin, I think the results speak for themselves.  He showed up at camp out of shape and was told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play until he was NHL fit.  He bought in to this and worked very hard.  Once he was playing, we saw a gradual improvement and increase in ice time throughout the year.  He's raw, but there is talent there and has lots of potential.  It's unfortunate that he has gone back to Russia because we have no idea how his development will progress there.

It would be great if he came back in a couple years but I'm not counting on it.  

Good post. My take on "home body" is nothing to do with intelligence/academic qualifications but someone who prefers familiar surroundings and people. Anyway I doubt we will ever know what actually happened but homesickness certainly seems to be a contributing factor.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

What are you actually saying? Tryamkin's ATOI was nearly 17mins and he didn't play on the PP. How did he deserve more?

You say you blame Benning but you don't even know what arrangements were made for the wife and you don't know if she even accepted them.

Who mentioned fighting? He wasn't asked to fight as far as I know. He was asked to put Marchand "in his pocket" Tryamkin also said his idol was Chara but he wanted to be better than him eventually. Did/does he know anything about Chara's style of play? Obviously not. Bottom line, he was partly drafted for his size and ability to use that size to intimidate. It's the NHL for goodness sake.

You then say the wife was missing her family but point out that plane travel was cheap. There is no reason why she could not have had her family visit when he was on long road trips.

The bottom line for me is Tryamkin made a mistake coming over after he was married. His wife seems to be a "home bird" and he should have discussed all the pros and cons before coming. He himself didn't seem to learn the language very well or certainly didn't have the confidence to use what he knew. How was that going to help her when they were going out in Vancouver?

None of that justifies the way he seemed to want to blame everyone else but himself like a big spoilt kid. If he has any sense he will have enrolled himself and his wife in English speaking classes in Russia and has another bite at the biscuit in 2 years time.

Do these boards EVER TIRE of trying to pin blame on this Club, the coaches, management and owners.

Chara might have been Tryamkin's model but you have to wonder how closely he watched Chara's game. Chara has been a physical force for decades. Mitchell wanting a physical game in response to an opposing team taking liberties is not out of line. What I saw in Tryamkin was a d-man who played a tough game but usually in response to other players. The Gudbranson injury probably hurt Tryamkin's development as Guddy could have helped his game. This is not about fighting. 

If Tryamkin is not emotionally invested in being in the NHL then the Canucks are lucky to have that known now.  The Canucks will likely be drafting in the high picks for a couple of more years. Time to find that d prospect that can play. I thought Tryamkin made a lot of progress this past season and that he could have challenged for a top 4 spot. He will get another look when he decides to come back but the depth might by-pass him in the mean time. The KHL is not close to the NHL and he will have to be very focused to continue his development. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Chara might have been Tryamkin's model but you have to wonder how closely he watched Chara's game. Chara has been a physical force for decades. Mitchell wanting a physical game in response to an opposing team taking liberties is not out of line. What I saw in Tryamkin was a d-man who played a tough game but usually in response to other players. The Gudbranson injury probably hurt Tryamkin's development as Guddy could have helped his game. This is not about fighting. 

If Tryamkin is not emotionally invested in being in the NHL then the Canucks are lucky to have that known now.  The Canucks will likely be drafting in the high picks for a couple of more years. Time to find that d prospect that can play. I thought Tryamkin made a lot of progress this past season and that he could have challenged for a top 4 spot. He will get another look when he decides to come back but the depth might by-pass him in the mean time. The KHL is not close to the NHL and he will have to be very focused to continue his development. 

I posted on you quote Boudrias, but CC and Alfstonker  all made good points.....I had no idea about his wife's English, but to say what I have heard via radio and some posters, so I am bad for that reference...........

But the point I am getting to is that, it just appeared that The Canucks did not have a good game plan going into their development of Tryamkin......this is a kid who, probably had a lot of fears coming to a strange country and strange league, to play with the world's best, including knowing his fears of being sent down, which I think he addressed when he declined to go down to the AHL

In his country that may mean something entirely different, and there might not be a lot of trust, when they are given promises like that there....was the contract a 2 way, and was he going to receive less money for going down....what was Benning.s contract offer?

I think there are a lot of different personalities and circumstances involved and they could have done better.....my gut feeling.......

I did not like seeing him go, but don't blame him.....I am just worried that when we get him back, if ever, he hasn't developed.....we will see

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Ya...for a boatload of draft picks...meaning they lose a first liner just when they get to a "finals" caliber team and we have a hard-nosed 2nd-3rd liner in Jake ready to mow down boatloads of smaller/slower guys....

When they already have Matthews and Marner, plus their other supporting cast, being in a cap crunch but being able to trade someone of Nylander's abilities is a pretty good spot to be in. Chicago used that to be successful for multiple cup runs. Nylander - if he continues to play as he has been - could garner not only picks but also likely a solid prospect on an ELC that can easily slot into a playoff lineup. I'm ok with that over having a player finally being able to contribute.

But Tryamkin. It was definitely not about the money. Family, his wife, maybe a little bit lost outside of Russia himself causing confusion, all of those factored into him going back. It was not about the coach (who was fired and a new coach incoming) or his playing time (which was reasonable and expected to expand with losing Sbisa to expansion) or anything else the Canucks could have done. His teammates tried to include him (see Hutton and others references to inviting him out) and help him yet he still chose a contract in the KHL.

He was keen in the draft interviews to play in the NHL (as t.d willfully ignored in his troll job) and still sounds like he wants the opportunity. We may see after 2 years that he opts out of his last year, or he waits the full three and then returns. We may see further contraction in the KHL, with his team among the rumours, and him coming back early anyway. I can see him wanting to be close to home as a factor, but if he has to swap teams to one on the other side of the KHL it might not be so attractive an option.

Talking about a free player at the right time though, he would be one.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 3

Wow, he mentioned the Olympics... That could be a big pull for a young man. If he had no chance to make the team while playing in the NHL, I can see why a proud Russian would want to have a chance to play for his country. The 3-year deal was probably pushed by Motorist to ensure he didn't bolt back to the NHL after one season. I still think he will come back. He's a competitive guy, and there is nothing like playing in the best league in the world.

• Upvote 1