The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

This is why I have a hideous feeling we'll never see Tryamkin in a Canucks jersey. Why come all the way over here. Try out in training camp. Then fly back to Russia if he can't crack the roster. I hope I'm wrong but he will make way more in the KHL than the AHL, or an entry level deal here. It's Koltsov all over again.

Dont be silly. Shirokov DID come to NA; we managed to get him over here. It was how he was handled after the fact that was the problem.

You're basically saying: why take a chance at the NHL? thats a long flight so he probably won't pursue his dream at all.

This isn't Koltsov again at all. Other than the obvious fact they're both Russian, ther eis no reason to expect him to hold out.

Dont be silly. Shirokov DID come to NA; we managed to get him over here. It was how he was handled after the fact that was the problem.

You're basically saying: why take a chance at the NHL? thats a long flight so he probably won't pursue his dream at all.

This isn't Koltsov again at all. Other than the obvious fact they're both Russian, ther eis no reason to expect him to hold out.

I didn't mention Shirokov at all. And the reasons he may not come here are:

1) He makes good money in the KHL, and it's tax free.

2) No cultural or language issues.

3) The KHL would pay him more than an entry level contract in the NHL, especially if he plays in the AHL.

I'm hoping Benning did his homework, and his agent told him it's his goal to play in the NHL someday. That would go a long way to ease my mind. Until then he's a long term prospect, and hopefully he'll play here. It's not a matter of holding out. It's a matter of will he actually want to come and play here?

This is why I have a hideous feeling we'll never see Tryamkin in a Canucks jersey. Why come all the way over here. Try out in training camp. Then fly back to Russia if he can't crack the roster. I hope I'm wrong but he will make way more in the KHL than the AHL, or an entry level deal here. It's Koltsov all over again.

He's already expressed interest that he wanted to honor his last 2 years with his KHL team on the contract he signed before coming over. Why bother flying over to NA for the draft if you're not even going to play in the NHL?

• Upvote 1

He's already expressed interest that he wanted to honor his last 2 years with his KHL team on the contract he signed before coming over. Why bother flying over to NA for the draft if you're not even going to play in the NHL?

Precisely this. Beat me to it.

I haven't seen Tryamkin lose yet, 3 games in a row Avto has knocked off division rivals ahead of them in the standings, good games too. Today looked like a playoff game in the 3rd period, lots of blocked shots, bodies flying around all over the place. Tryamkin led all players on both teams in ice time during the 3rd period.

KHL teams dress 8 defencemen, Tryamkin has been as high as #2 and as low as #6, depending on the game. It's a pretty competitive league too, there are probably 5 or 6 teams that could be swapped out with the bottom NHL teams and you would barely notice. Comparing this league with the AHL is a joke, these guys would smoke any AHL team.

Tryamkinstein looks big, fast and at times, mean. Definitely has a temper. Out of all the Canucks prospects outside the NHL, this guy is facing the toughest competition by a mile and he looks good. He can move the puck and he's got a heavy shot but his play down low and in front of the net is what's going to land him a job here and that's the best part of his game.

thanks for the update!

I didn't mention Shirokov at all. And the reasons he may not come here are:

1) He makes good money in the KHL, and it's tax free.

2) No cultural or language issues.

3) The KHL would pay him more than an entry level contract in the NHL, especially if he plays in the AHL.

I'm hoping Benning did his homework, and his agent told him it's his goal to play in the NHL someday. That would go a long way to ease my mind. Until then he's a long term prospect, and hopefully he'll play here. It's not a matter of holding out. It's a matter of will he actually want to come and play here?

Shirikov got buried in the minors for 2 years. Or was it 3? When he could have earned 3 or 5 times as much in Russia. And was given nary a realistic cup of tea.

There was a belief you had to come over and ''learn'' the N American game?

Well the KHL is the worlds second best league. Not the AHL. Lehtera is a recent example of a guy making the jump look easy. If Tryamkin is playing well, it bodes very well for his development. Maybe Shirikov should have stayed home until we were ready for him. He's up in scoring with guys like Kovalchuck. Maybe its us that has the bad attitude, not this ''ungrateful'' Russian player stereotype.

Sometimes you have to just draft the best player. Then manage their circumstance till you can bring / sell them to come over.

• Upvote 1

Guy's a walking stick. Hope he fills out his frame but doesn't give up too much of his amazing foot speed from that size.

Tryamkin was reported to be anywhere between 235 and 265 Lbs last summer depending on the source.

In any case even 235 on a 6' 7" frame is hardly a walking stick and anything close to 250 would put him into power forward size in the NBA if he was a basketball player.

So all he needs is time and to figure out his best playing weight.

He's actually said that his desire is to come over after his contract expires. 2 years.

• Upvote 1

we've got a paranoid board here about russian players.

tryamkin will be fine. most likely will take some time before he cracks the canucks roster, though. i think he probably does need a season (maybe two) in the AHL for some more seasoning. Unless he proves he can make the jump straight from the KHL to the NHL.

If Gillis drafted Nichushkin last year with the 9th overall pick this board would be so paranoid. "KHL threat! Gillis you idiot"

At least until the kid started scoring as a Canuck.

Tryramkin so far looks like a project for much longer than his current KHL contract anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about that. Emelin didn't come over until he was 25. Finally turning into a regular top-4 guy at 28. Tryramkin's a different player, but, whoa.