The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

IE: In three years your rights in the NHL will still belong to the Vancouver Canucks.

NT: And what, you think it’s bad luck? I’m not going to say that the Canucks are a bad team. I can’t confirm that in three years I am getting back or that I am not getting back. Maybe a brick will hit me in the head and I won’t be myself anymore. We’ll have to see how I will play in that moment. If the team will feel like they need me, and we can find some good conditions, then anything can happen. But we’re still far from that.

giphy.gif

On 2017-11-24 at 11:51 AM, SilentSam said:

Dont' recall if this interview was posted here,.  But it is interesting..

https://thehockeywriters.com/nikita-tryamkin-comfortable-home-khl/

Wow, I've seen that interview referenced a few times but don't think I read it.  Thanks.  

interviewer did a great job... didn't beat around the bush and asked him straight.  

Nikita comes off better on that than I've seen elsewhere.  

I still kinda scratch my head about how he thinks he should have been playing 25+ minutes a night but overall what he's saying makes sense. 

I don't read it as him planning to come back though.  "I could get hit in the head with a brick and become a different person" isn't a "can't wait to get back to the NHL and show what I can do."  Honestly he sounds like a guy who would be happy winning KHL championships and maybe the odd international tournament.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Wow, I've seen that interview referenced a few times but don't think I read it.  Thanks.  

interviewer did a great job... didn't beat around the bush and asked him straight.  

Nikita comes off better on that than I've seen elsewhere.  

I still kinda scratch my head about how he thinks he should have been playing 25+ minutes a night but overall what he's saying makes sense. 

I don't read it as him planning to come back though.  "I could get hit in the head with a brick and become a different person" isn't a "can't wait to get back to the NHL and show what I can do."  Honestly he sounds like a guy who would be happy winning KHL championships and maybe the odd international tournament.

To paraphrase what he said, cleaning up the English, "It depends on how I am playing at the time. If the team feels they need me and we can agree on terms..." Sure sounds to me that he plans to come back but isn't counting his chickens before they hatch, and doesn't want to throw away all his negotiating leverage.

• Like 2

On 2017-11-07 at 3:11 PM, zduck14 said:

I like the enthusiasm for Tryamkin here but I honestly think you guys are throwing around the "generational talent" term a little too loosely. In my opinion, that term should be reserved for guys like Orr, Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Lidstrom, Crosby, etc. 

While I think Tryamkin has the potential to be a top pairing, "Elite" defenseman in the NHL along the lines of a Suter or Weber, I can't see him ever being in the same category as the likes of Karlsson, Pronger or Niedermayer.

That said, with this teams history of d-men, I would gladly take a Weber or Suter on this team any day.

I still see the potential to be generational in Tryamkin.

He is still very young, I think Tryamkin may possibly have a longetivity in his game that allows that term to stick.

I think I should mention that Tryamkin has recently played for the Russian national team in the Carjala Cup tournament in Finland. He played against Finland on Nov 9 and Czech Republic on Nov 12 with 2 PIM in each game. That was his first appearance for the main Russian team.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I still see the potential to be generational in Tryamkin.

He is still very young, I think Tryamkin may possibly have a longetivity in his game that allows that term to stick.

Like I said in the post you quoted, generational talents are extremely rare. While I really believe Tryamkin can be top pairing d-man, I think the best he'll be is a Pronger type. Definitely a great defender but not a generational player.

Edited by zduck14
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Guddy and Try back there on patrol, shades of Babych and Dirk clearing the crease all game. :P

Different era but I like the sound of it. The longer Tryamkin stays in the KHL the bigger the legend will grow. My only hope is that crude oil pricing craters and the KHL cuts another 6 teams. :ph34r::ph34r:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Different era but I like the sound of it. The longer Tryamkin stays in the KHL the bigger the legend will grow. My only hope is that crude oil pricing craters and the KHL cuts another 6 teams. :ph34r::ph34r:

Aww yes the big picture analytic! Agreed 

14 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Like I said in the post you quoted, generational talents are extremely rare. While I really believe Tryamkin can be top pairing d-man, I think the best he'll be is a Pronger type. Definitely a great defender but not a generational player.

For some reason I find this post very ironic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Sounds good with respect to making the KHL less lucrative. But if oil prices crash, it also hammers the Canadian economy and the Canadian dollar, hurting the Canadian NHL teams (including the Canucks), who pay salaries in US dollars.

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

For some reason I find this post very ironic.

In what way? Pronger was a great defender but not a generational player. As I and others said before, generational talents are extremely rare like Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lidstrom, Crosby..... After that there are the elite talents like Pronger, Neidermayer, Sakic, Yzerman, etc....

2 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

In what way? Pronger was a great defender but not a generational player. As I and others said before, generational talents are extremely rare like Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Lidstrom, Crosby..... After that there are the elite talents like Pronger, Neidermayer, Sakic, Yzerman, etc....

The Canucks wanted Tryamkin to be like Pronger and that's part of why he left.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-defenceman-tryamkin-takes-offence-and-bolts-canucks-for-russia

Those coaches were bent on getting more aggression out of Tryamkin, which isn’t one of his strengths. This was talked about openly by the coaches and there were reports Thursday that staff showed Tryamkin videos of Chris Pronger, asking him basically to do the impossible, which is “be like Pronger.”

The irony is what hurt Tryamkin’s game the most this season was the penalties he took. Tryamkin was called for 27 minors. It was the most on the Canucks (no one else had more than 18) and it ranked 25th in the NHL. This for a player who missed 16 games.

The issue definitely wasn’t helped by urging him to be more aggressive. 

Being mean and dirty, like Pronger, wasn’t one of Tryamkin’s best skills. Skating was. And the Canucks’ defence can actually use all the good skaters it can find.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Ahhhh. I never read that before. It actually makes dislike Willie even more now.

I can say though, having watched a few of Tryamkin's games in the KHL this year, he does remind me a lot of the way Pronger used to dominate minus the dirty play. For the record, I do realize it's only the KHL but I still think it's a good sign as to how he's developing. 

On 25/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, zduck14 said:

Being a Chara type wouldn't be bad either - I believe Tryamkin's offense side is still to be explored.  Chara was in the league for four years before he started to emerge in his fifth season.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Taking anything Botchford says is a stretch IMHO. I do not think for a moment that Desjardin was trying to turn Tryamkin into a goon. More physical, yes. Nothing wrong with that.