The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 3/14/2018 at 8:27 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hypothetical question. 

If Tram's rights were traded to Washington. Do you think he's still play in Russia, or leap at the chance to play on a team with Ovechkin? 

Yekateringburg is his hometown so no I don't think it would have mattered. Plus my guess is he's leaving @ 2 to 2.5 million on the table every year he stays over in the KHL. So he could be losing around 5 million at least playing for his hometown. That's loyalty.

ps at least 5 million maybe closer to 6 million if he plays out his full contract the next 2 seasons there. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I have always liked the big Russian but lately I've been slowly but steadily building a grudge against him because he's not showing loyalty to the franchise that took a chance on him. I think he needs to commit a little more to the team that drafted. I know I sound like a typical entitled Vancouverite right now, but choosing his family over us irks me :angry:

I realize this is a childish comment, but I can't help how I feel. I would still welcome him with open arms if he decides to come back.

He's showing loyalty to the team he signed with, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hypothetical question. 

If Tram's rights were traded to Washington. Do you think he's still play in Russia, or leap at the chance to play on a team with Ovechkin? 

The Caps would get him  over her in a heartbeat.  Is there is something about Vancouver that seems to turn-off Russian players?  I heard that it's partly because the travel to Russia is a lot easier from the east coast cities, like Washington.  

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yekateringburg is his hometown so no I don't think it would have mattered. Plus my guess is he's leaving @ 2 to 2.5 million on the table every year he stays over in the KHL. So he could be losing around 5 million at least playing for his hometown. That's loyalty.

you only need so much money to live in Yekaterinburg, any of our salaries would go a long way there too :lol:

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's showing loyalty to the team he signed with, though.

He did not cost the team that signed him anything (other than the paycheque). Canucks spent a third rounder on him, an unknown prospect at the time, and gave him time to develop etc.

Maybe he's laying a solid foundation for his marriage right now, and in a few years he'll feel more comfortable to come to Canada. On the other hand, he could have kids in the next couple of years and decide he does not want to uproot his family. Hopefully he decides to make the move sooner rather than later.

39 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

He did not cost the team that signed him anything (other than the paycheque). Canucks spent a third rounder on him, an unknown prospect at the time, and gave him time to develop etc.

Maybe he's laying a solid foundation for his marriage right now, and in a few years he'll feel more comfortable to come to Canada. On the other hand, he could have kids in the next couple of years and decide he does not want to uproot his family. Hopefully he decides to make the move sooner rather than later.

I do find it interesting that many folks think that players born in BC should automatically want to shun their teams in order to come play here (and at a "hometown" discount).... but Tryamkin doesn't get credit for wanting to play in his own hometown.

I hope he comes back, but he owes us nothing, the same as we don't owe any player we draft an NHL contract and playing time..  He fulfilled his contractual obligations to us and seemed like a solid dude.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I do find it interesting that many folks think that players born in BC should automatically want to shun their teams in order to come play here (and at a "hometown" discount).... but Tryamkin doesn't get credit for wanting to play in his own hometown.

I hope he comes back, but he owes us nothing, the same as we don't owe any player we draft an NHL contract and playing time..  He fulfilled his contractual obligations to us and seemed like a solid dude.

I am not sure who you are referring to, but it certainly isn't me. I don't know if anybody has that expectation, it's just sometimes nice to daydream about a team full of BC born players to come play for their hometown team. I don't think anybody takes it personal if a BC born player doesn't choose to come home.

I disagree with your second statement as well. A degree of loyalty is definitely expected from players to the team that drafted them. That's why the whole college route has been controversial for the past couple of seasons. Players are opting to not sign their NHL contracts with the team that chose them after 4 years in college. It's called a loophole in the CBA agreement for a reason. As you implied, however, it is a 2 way street. The organization is expected to show loyalty to their players - perhaps this organization even takes it to an extreme.

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I am not sure who you are referring to, but it certainly isn't me. I don't know if anybody has that expectation, it's just sometimes nice to daydream about a team full of BC born players to come play for their hometown team. I don't think anybody takes it personal if a BC born player doesn't choose to come home.

I disagree with your second statement as well. A degree of loyalty is definitely expected from players to the team that drafted them. That's why the whole college route has been controversial for the past couple of seasons. Players are opting to not sign their NHL contracts with the team that chose them after 4 years in college. It's called a loophole in the CBA agreement for a reason. As you implied, however, it is a 2 way street. The organization is expected to show loyalty to their players - perhaps this organization even takes it to an extreme.

When an NHL team drafts a player, the only thing that happens is they have the rights to that player for an amount of years before they become a free agent. It doesn’t mean the player has to play for that team in the NHL.

Tryamkin isn’t being disloyal at all. He’s always operated within his legal bounds and continues to do so.

There are certain risks associated with drafting and all the different leagues

the collage route and losing the player to free agency

CHL and bringing players up too soon and ruining their projected development (Virtanen/McCann) or leaving them in the CHL and have them build lazy work ethic and complacency due lack of competition 

Europe and having to wait 3-4 years for the player because they stay 1-2 years in Swedish and Finnish leagues then another 1-2 in the AHL adjusting to ice size differences 

And from Russia and the thought of players returning to the KHL

Of course some options are worse than others but the reality is GMs and owners know these things and it definitely affects draft positions and relationship building

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wanless said:

When an NHL team drafts a player, the only thing that happens is they have the rights to that player for an amount of years before they become a free agent. It doesn’t mean the player has to play for that team in the NHL.

Tryamkin isn’t being disloyal at all. He’s always operated within his legal bounds and continues to do so.

There are certain risks associated with drafting and all the different leagues

the collage route and losing the player to free agency

CHL and bringing players up too soon and ruining their projected development (Virtanen/McCann) or leaving them in the CHL and have them build lazy work ethic and complacency due lack of competition 

Europe and having to wait 3-4 years for the player because they stay 1-2 years in Swedish and Finnish leagues then another 1-2 in the AHL adjusting to ice size differences 

And from Russia and the thought of players returning to the KHL

Of course some options are worse than others but the reality is GMs and owners know these things and it definitely affects draft positions and relationship building

Yes I'm very well aware of the bolded part. I'm not saying Tryamkin is operating illegally or in bad faith. I understand the risks etc. but if anyone is wondering why Russian players get a bad wrap in the NHL, this is why. There is always a big risk with them bolting home even though they would be perfectly capable of playing and doing well in the best league in the world, if they commit and show dedication.

43 minutes ago, smokes said:

I forgot which host it was but I heard that a huge issue Tryamkin had with Vancouver was actually living here because he couldn't handle the pot smell everywhere. Anyone heard about this?

I think it was more of a footnote. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

MMG just knocked out his Atvo team the other day.

Thanks. I guess he wasn't going to win anyway since he wasn't Putin's team, but I guess it would've been nice to see how he handled a longer Playoff run. 

20 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thanks. I guess he wasn't going to win anyway since he wasn't Putin's team, but I guess it would've been nice to see how he handled a longer Playoff run. 

Oddly enough his Atvo team lost eerily similar to our problems, smurfy forwards in the playoffs. MMG was huge in comparison bouncing guys around and putting guys on their butts every period pretty much. Good coaching too by Viktor Kozlov,    they looked like Las Vegas in style.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Caps would get him  over her in a heartbeat.  Is there is something about Vancouver that seems to turn-off Russian players?  I heard that it's partly because the travel to Russia is a lot easier from the east coast cities, like Washington.  

It’s a free trip by Submarine.

Edited by SilentSam