The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

“A history of fitness issues”..   ??     Theres a list somewhere?    Or are you speaking of the time Desjardins threw him under the bus?

call it what you want. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is "Kolya" a nick name, like saying Nicky?

Sounds like he's pretty interested in the team still, makes me wonder what the heck really happened behind the scenes.

Nik kolya

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is "Kolya" a nick name, like saying Nicky?

Yes, Kolya is pretty common nickname for Nicolay. In Russia there are so many nicknames, sometimes looking totally different from the full name like Shura or Sasha for Alexandre.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Yes, Kolya is pretty common nickname for Nicolay. In Russia there are so many nicknames, sometimes looking totally different from the full name like Shura or Sasha for Alexandre.

Nick names for a hundred, please Sasha. ::D

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Haha 1

His 16:44 average TOI underlined the idea that the team saw him as a seventh defenceman. Among “regulars”, only Alex Biega and Philip Larsen (the afterthoughts of the first and second halves of the season, respectively) played fewer minutes on average. He was unable to get into a game until Chris Tanev was injured, and only stayed in when Tanev returned because Erik Gudbranson’s season happened to end at the same time.

Despite having the lowest average ice time among Canucks defencemen (a defence core that included Luca Sbisa, Erik Gudbranson and Alex Biega), Tryamkin had the highest score-adjusted Fenwick among Canucks defenders. The next two blueliners after him are Ben Hutton and Alex Biega, who, by the way, spent a lot of the season as Tryamkin’s defensive partners. A quick glance at a WOWY table indicates that both Hutton and Biega benefited from playing with the big Russian, owning worse shot ratios away from him compared to with him.

corsica-ff-scadj.png

Just a little flashback to the article written here Canucks Army  

This also gives me a better perspective on why Ben Hutton has appeared to be so appalling at times this year.

Edited by Guest

Tryamkin interview:

https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1062396799.html

I will think about returning to the NHL when my contract with Avtomobilist would be over. If they will need me, if I play good enough that they would want to sign me. I have not turned over the page with the NHL for myself but this is not 100% guarantee that I will go there.

I watch the NHL games, mostly with Vancouver - there is 12-hour time difference so I wake up, watch the games before my practice, this is interesting to see how the team is doing. Read reviews, follow the Russian players, how they play, who scores, interesting stuff.

I keep contact with Kolya Goldobin, talk on phone sometimes, he is proving that he can play and score, I am happy for him. Sometimes the Russian factor plays the role, this is unavoidable.

The Sedins brothers are gone, they have made huge contribution in the club history, the amazing people who played for the same club for 18 years. Now young players have a chance to prove themselves, and if Vancouver is lucky to get the 1st or 2nd draft pick, this would be very important because the club needs another young leader like Brock Boeser. The first two are going to be Svechnikov and Dahlin, both are very good players

On 4/22/2018 at 7:53 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

This also gives me a better perspective on why Ben Hutton has appeared to be so appalling at times this year.

Tryamkin is a huge guy, who can actually skate very well.  He's got quick feet and hands, and was just starting to show his offence (jumping into the play) when WD thought it best to limit the big guy's ice time, especially in the third period.  Tryamkin made his partners better, because Big Nikita is a very good player. 

• Upvote 2

Can you imagine having Guddy and Tryamkin on the same team?  That's a combination that makes you keep your head up.  

Alternately, let's face it - Gudbranson doesn't bring a whole lot to the table other than his hitting (which he doesn't do enough of).  If Tryamkin did come back it gives us flexibility in moving on from Gudbranson if we so choose at and keeping Tramkin at perhaps half the price. Less price for even better hitting (by a country mile)?  Count me in.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 2

On 23/04/2018 at 5:18 PM, hammertime said:

I am so humongous big on Svechnikov.  Having Bo Brock and Elias Svechnikov as our 1,2 punch would be incredible.

Been thinking the same thing. Two great forward lines. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I find guddy to be a solid player

What's solid about him?  He hits hard, but not as much as he should.  He's just "ok" defensively and he sucks at scoring. This past season did not impress me. The only reason we signed him to that contract is because we needed some grit in our lineup.  His lack of other abilities is also the reason he doesn't have a trade clause.  If he doesn't show more than he has, I don't expect him to be on the team by the end of his contract.

Edited by kloubek
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 7:53 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

That link doesn't work....in fact, that entire Canucks Army page is broken as you get this when you click:

8e967487b69175a5d2cf0954e6f25b57.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/04/2018 at 5:18 PM, hammertime said:

I am so humongous big on Svechnikov.  Having Bo Brock and Elias Svechnikov as our 1,2 punch would be incredible.

Agreed, said the same a few weeks back when he was trending 3rd/4th. 

The main reason is I think we can get a top D further down or on UFA whereas this guy is a special talent. Any forward group with him Bo, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Jake and Sutter (with Lind, Gadjovich, Baertschi, Granlund, Leipsic, Motte and Gaunce filling in) has got to be a force to be reckoned with imo.

Every one of them is capable of becoming a household name.

"Spent significant time out of the line up with Barrie and sustaining a wrist injury, but ranks on my list as the top forward due to both his scoring ability but his ability to generate looks on the attack in many ways. Despite his injury still is second among all CHL rookie prospects in terms of points per game. Good size, a lightning quick release, and a resume that includes a 30 goal season as a 15 year old in Russia, a 29 goal, 58 point in 48 games in the USHL as a 17 yr old, and 36 points in 21 games with Barrie this season. Strong, disciplined and high hockey sense, he doesn’t just want to be a one zone player; he will be active in the middle and defensive zone with the hopes he can break things open to go back the other way. He already is a big man with high end skill, strong hockey sense, and the feet to beat opponents one on one. He gets loose from coverage with regularity He was a power game in junior and projects to be a power wing as he progresses, very similar to former first rounder, Jacub Voracek. He makes his linemates better, and projects as one of the top three wingers in the draft class."

Man, can you imagine him on a line with Boeser and Elias? 

Added bonus, another Russian here (along with his buddy Goldy) will be enticing for Tryamkin.

Edited by alfstonker

If we manage to scoop Svechnikov how about this boy as a Dahlin/Bouchard substitute.

Nils Lundkvist

"Sometimes it takes playing with great teammates to bring out the best in a prospect. Thats what transpired with this kid when he was surrounded by the cream of the Swedish dee-man crop at the Under-18 Five Nations tournament. Very smart in his decisions, with good vision and execution. There is so much to his game that translates to high levels of competition. He is confident, has very good speed, and plays with edge with big hits, and hard work on the defensive wall and the battle areas. Has the feet to expertly jump up into the play and activating, sometimes being the entry guy. Really good hands too, putting pucks on the sticks of the right teammate.Arguably, might have played better than Adam Boqvist, Adam Ginning, and Filip Johansson, and was a revelation."

15 hours ago, kloubek said:

What's solid about him?  He hits hard, but not as much as he should.  He's just "ok" defensively and he sucks at scoring. This past season did not impress me. The only reason we signed him to that contract is because we needed some grit in our lineup.  His lack of other abilities is also the reason he doesn't have a trade clause.  If he doesn't show more than he has, I don't expect him to be on the team by the end of his contract.

That and perhaps the biggest overall issue is his mobility.  He gets beat a lot.  The NHL is getting faster and faster and he doesn't do a good job pivoting.  He can skate fast with a head of steam in a straight line and that may be useful for a winger but not so much the D.  He needs to work on explosiveness and the pivot.  He is a 5-6 D making 4M a year.  Benning doesn't get sunk cost.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

That and perhaps the biggest overall issue is his mobility.  He gets beat a lot.  The NHL is getting faster and faster and he doesn't do a good job pivoting.  He can skate fast with a head of steam in a straight line and that may be useful for a winger but not so much the D.  He needs to work on explosiveness and the pivot.  He is a 5-6 D making 4M a year.  Benning doesn't get sunk cost.

Your refering to Gudbranson here..  take it to his thread.

But sure,Yeah,    we need to see more Stetchers and Tanevs get Smushed..  throw out team chemistry and talent distribution.. just go off analytics and Sharmen Soft Hands for D,. Oh and Flo.     Especially in the Western Conference. :ph34r:   

... get a grip.. he is young for a big Dman, and is developing. Looked the best when not paired with a prospect, he and Edler were solid, Eagle came back to life.

Gudranson may not sparkle or have glitter..  but he wont pop and fizzle on the sidewalk the way Tanev has.

..even a Baker knows the ingredients to a good batch of Cookies.  Trust Bennings decisions, and have a bit of patience.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Yeah, we need to see more Stetchers and Tanevs get Smushed..  throw out team chemistry and talent distribution.. just go off analytics and Sharmen Soft Hands for D,. Oh and Flo.     Especially in the Western Conference.

... get a grip.. he is young for a big Dman, and is developing. Looked the best when not paired with a prospect, he and Edler were solid, Eagle came back to life.

Gudranson may not sparkle or have glitter..  but he wont pop and fizzle on the sidewalk the way Tanev has.

..even a Baker knows the ingredients to a good batch of Cookies.  Trust Bennings decisions, and have a bit of patience.

Ooh testi, taking it personally.

Not saying doesn't have a role, toughness plays a secondary role in the NHL today.  And that is where he need to be in a secondary role.  Ultimately, need to score more goals than you let in, he puts up no points and is not that great defensively.  In fact when he moves his feet and is playing the game at a higher pace I think he is not bad, unfortunately the nights he is not moving well and overthinking are more numerous.  I love good tough players, I just don't think tough is enough to make you a good player.

If someone did what Bobby Clarke used to do he would be run out of the game.  Ulf Samuelsson would have spent more time suspended than playing.  The game has changed, and mostly for the better.  Toughness has its place and role but I question the wisdom of paying as much for it for a player that doesn't do a great job of ticking any of the other boxes.

I trust Benning in the draft, I think his contracts and pro scouting are at best defensible when looked at individually but when standing back and taking more of the 100ft view are poor.

Oh and I don't care for analytics.  It is a sport I watch for fun, I get enough stats at work.  So in the case it is the eye test he is failing.