The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Did anyone watch him closely this year and can report on how he's doing? I want to know what kind of potential he has... Can he be a #1 Dman? From the highlight videos I've seen he certainly has the skating, and mobility. Quick on his feet especially for a big man. He scored some good goals too. Maybe doesn't have off the charts offensive IQ but he's good enough. So does he have the potential to be a #1?

With his size I think he is more of a defensive d-man who can pepper shots. Given where we took him in the draft he probably isn't dynamic enough offensively to be a top 2, top 4 is for sure do-able.

With his size I think he is more of a defensive d-man who can pepper shots. Given where we took him in the draft he probably isn't dynamic enough offensively to be a top 2, top 4 is for sure do-able.

I think he's got a little offense to his game. Probably not enough to be a PPQB but good enough to be on the 1st unit blasting rockets from the blue line no? You're right though, it's probably a little optimistic to see top 2 potential in him

I think he's got a little offense to his game. Probably not enough to be a PPQB but good enough to be on the 1st unit blasting rockets from the blue line no? You're right though, it's probably a little optimistic to see top 2 potential in him

Certainly no slam dunk but Chara didn't look like a top 2 in his early 20's either...

Going to take a lot of work (and luck) but he could very well be anywhere from "meh" to :shock::towel:

Hey look he got in a shooting lane and took the puck away. Hey look he side stepped a guy taking a run at him and made a nice pass out of the zone.

Edge of your seat stuff right there! :lol:

I'm not sure Tanev has ever side stepped a big hit in his life.......he takes pretty much every single one square on.

• Upvote 4

When you're 6'7 I don't think that would be an issue. I hope he comes over next year, but with one more year left on his KHL contract i doubt he leaves.

I don't know how people keep missing this. The moment we drafted him he said he would honour the last two years of his KHL contract and then come to Vancouver.

I'm not sure Tanev has ever side stepped a big hit in his life.......he takes pretty much every single one square on.

Naah he's fairly shifty most of the time and you just don't notice because he makes a quick bob/weave and it's like there was never a hit to be made on him. But when he gets hit....boy does he get hit.

I don't know how people keep missing this. The moment we drafted him he said he would honour the last two years of his KHL contract and then come to Vancouver.

That was also before the ruble went in the toilet and actually paying guys in the KHL became a question mark.

He's such a silky skater for a big man. He moves well, great first pass, and provides the physicality that you want to see. There's a lot of potential with this kid. Hell, I'm just happy he's so coordinated for such a big man. Chara took years of lanky limbs all over the place, though it seems Tryamkin has already brought that in.

Hopefully Avtomobilist gives him a bigger role next season, as I believe he was their 8th D for a consecutive year. Following this year, he'll be welcome with the Comets. Until then, the Comets will have enough on their hands with rookie blue liners in Hutton, Subban, McEneny, Sautner and Cederholm.

In fairness, using your reach/size to get in shooting lanes and box guys out doesn't tend to make many highlight reels and that's where his major strengths are.

Just because he's not a "sexy" prospect, doesn't mean he's not a good one.

is he like Willie Mitchell? ( just a comparable)

is he like Willie Mitchell? ( just a comparable)

Has some of the same defensive strengths by the look of it but better skating and a bit more offensive upside. If he can consolidate the physical, crease-clearing, lane blocking part of his game like Willie and then develop some first-pass and puck-moving ability to go with his shot, he could end up being a better player than Mitchell. Lots of ifs there, though.

Has some of the same defensive strengths by the look of it but better skating and a bit more offensive upside. If he can consolidate the physical, crease-clearing, lane blocking part of his game like Willie and then develop some first-pass and puck-moving ability to go with his shot, he could end up being a better player than Mitchell. Lots of ifs there, though.

Well he looks like a solid pick but if he could develop good or even better than Mitchell I would be very happy!

He's such a silky skater for a big man. He moves well, great first pass, and provides the physicality that you want to see. There's a lot of potential with this kid. Hell, I'm just happy he's so coordinated for such a big man. Chara took years of lanky limbs all over the place, though it seems Tryamkin has already brought that in.

Hopefully Avtomobilist gives him a bigger role next season, as I believe he was their 8th D for a consecutive year. Following this year, he'll be welcome with the Comets. Until then, the Comets will have enough on their hands with rookie blue liners in Hutton, Subban, McEneny, Sautner and Cederholm.

That is just what I was thinking.

I think he looks well able to handle the NHL and I love how he takes "clearing the crease" personally. He has a lot of physical upside and a 2nd line partnership with a beefed up Subban might be awsome

• Upvote 1

That is just what I was thinking.

I think he looks well able to handle the NHL and I love how he takes "clearing the crease" personally. He has a lot of physical upside and a 2nd line partnership with a beefed up Subban might be awsome

Lots to get excited about. A Canuck dman with size! Novel concept. Hoping he gets out of Russia before Putin shuts the doors. Of

course I am assuming he wants to come. As bad as the KHL is it is great that he has been playing men for 2 years now.