The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Can’t understand why some think that Tryamkin is not signing with us when his KHL deal is up.

He’s a smart kid and a high character kid despite everything that is made up about him. Why hate his quite swagger and confidence ? I would love to have this guy on our team. He is a team guy and he showed that number of times last season. 

I believe he returns better than before and absolutely solidifies himself as one of our top defencmen and a core player for the Canucks. 

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sorry, don't let me get in the way of the argument you two are having, but I wasted to acknowledge the bolded above as one of the best lines I have read on CDC in quite some time.   If you have not applied for a copyright, I would love to borrow it sometime.   :)

Feel free RZ. Off course none of it is meant to be taken seriously. Many of the people I say these kind of things to, I actually like and have time for. 

21 hours ago, tas said:

the reason Desjardins won't succeed as an nhl coach is that he doesn't have ENOUGH of an ego.

You could be right. 

All I know is there is no way I would have gone as quietly as he did, given everyone could see that JB and Linden's inexperience shafted him.

You don't go from 101 points (2nd in the pacific) to 75 points unless the GM is asleep at the wheel.

Let's face it if Willie had been given the roster Green got last season, does anyone really think he would have failed to match 73 points. That was only 4 points better than the season WD was fired and 2 points less than WD's 2nd season.

And I say that as a supporter of Jimbo.

I'm not unhappy with Green I like the job he is doing and I think he is going to do well for us but I hate the amount of sh-t that gets heaped on WD on here.

20 hours ago, coastal.view said:

seems to me the canucks talk a lot about culture

who was/were the best conditioned athletes on the team?

our best players, the sedins, they were the standard

tryamkin fell very very short of the standard

and his fitness needed to be dealt with

he signed a professional contract

and so behaviour of a pro was reasonably expected (that he show up in nhl shape)

so people feel he should have simply just started

because of his attributes - size and some toughness ?

how do you think the rest of the team who got into proper pro shape

would feel about that decision?

what would that do to the team's fitness culture?

and who will be the most fit canuck in training camp this season?

my intuition says brock boeser

but hoping it is goldobin or hutton

Agree with all that and have said as much. 

I think Bo will be our fittest player although I actually think most of the roster will be knocking themselves out in the off season as it doesn't take a genius to see there is far more competition for places now than there has been for a long time.

I imagine players like Motte, Leipsic, Gaunce, Jake, Hutton, Sautner, Stech, Pouliot, MDZ, Granlund and Gagner will be especially determined to show up lean mean and hungry.

Edited by alfstonker

18 hours ago, elvis15 said:

And he's an intelligent person as well, so I wouldn't say either. Of course, it takes more than that to have the skillset to be an excellent NHL coach, but no sense speaking out of school about him at this point.

How many coaches reached the playoffs in their first season?

Let's not confuse reality and re-write history. WD was a Calder Cup winner, he reached the playoffs with a massive 101 points in the hardest div/conference.

Then the rug was jerked from under his feet and he was left to struggle with AHL level players, players not ready for the NHL and of course a massive injury list. 

In case no one noticed Green was given players by JB who amassed 127 points and yet he still only bettered WD's last season by FOUR POINTS

Green had the same top 9 of Willie's points scorers PLUS.......... Boeser, Vanek and Gagner (127 additional points)

The difference of only 4 points at the end of the season demonstrates what many of us on here believe. That WD was exceptional at getting the most out of the players available to him and running systems which took account of the standard of these players.

That is not failure that is performing f------g miracles with a lot less.

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So big bad Philip Larsen deserved all that ice time ahead of Tryamkin? Ask the Ducks?Because he looked better on the treadmill or could skate around a bit? Tryamkin showed what he could do once he got the chance. He knew he could help the team more than Larsen wasn't at the time. 

We know fine WD was TOLD to play Larsen so that JB could see what he had. We were desperate for a puck moving D and JB wanted to see if Larsen was the answer. This did no harm as Tryamkin thought he could treat the Canucks like a pub team, turn up out of condition, and still command a place in the team.

16 hours ago, lmm said:

this is so much smoke.

If the Sedins were the best conditioned atheletes why were they also the slowest, injury prone and - players?

Under Willie larger players were measured using the same stick as smaller players.

Tryamkin and Sestito bring different elements than the Sedins, Running up the Grouse  Grind was not their forte, they were treated poorly by Willie and Jim.

I don't recall the Sedins sticking up for their teammates.

What does it say about team culture when the coach cannot see the value of players differences?

You've been out in the sun too much bud.

For a start if you can't get up the Grouse in decent time you are not likely to command 10 mins never mind the 20 mins Tryamkin obviously thought he was worth. 

Just for your own education, don't confuse speed with stamina.

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

So if I phrased it, “Desjardins stuck to HIS guns”.. ?

I guess it sounds better.. but the fact of the matter is his lack of flexibility with players for growth, or in deployment, whether it was the offensive or defensive part of the game was ridged at best.

A power play that does not create enough chances, time in and out, is redundant,.. and that being your biggest offensive opportunity, you work on it in variations until you find the right chemistry to give you an opportunity.   Desjardins WAS given that lean-way from Managment. Managment wanted to see growth.

ALL injuries aside, whatever personnel was available was likely looking for an opportunity to shine.. DEPLOYMENT was not there, and a major opportunity for others to grow and learn was lost.  

Willie, stuck to his guns...  why?  ... because HE new best.  That is a man thinking inside the box,. Not looking in the mirror,. Headstrong.  That is Ego.

They say even serial killers can be charismatic, humble, and charming.

Dont be fooled.

Wow I would address this but I wouldn't know where to start. I recommend you read my post above on WD's performance.

Your second last sentence should embarrass you.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Nik is now 23yrs?..  he looked a hell of a lot better than Chara did at 22 yrs.

Chara was still skating like Bambi at that age, I used to watch ZC play for Prince George in the Dub for the Cougars.  Trust me, Tryamkin has a higher ceiling.

not taking anything away from Chara, the man is a war horse.

Bud you don't write some of the garbage you have written above and then say "Trust me":lol:

At 22/23 Chara was a fixture in the NHL Tryamkin was just coming into the league. Chara had also amassed almost 300 PIM

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Look very closely at Chara’s early years. I have no idea why WD made Trymakin watch Pronger tapes, he should have made him watch Big Bird or Chara tapes. 

At the same age Tryamkin is equally big, a much better skater and he does possess some offensive abilities so he could become a Chara like player.  Chara also didn’t come into his own until he was into he late twenties. Lots of time for big Nitka.  

What makes Chara the player he is is a combo of size and commitment.  Obviously Trymakin has one in spades, but with his bolting to Russia, the commitment issue is very much in question.  

Get him to commit to an NHL career, and he could be as good as Chara. Something no one really thought Chara would be at the same age. 

Chara amassed 300 PIM in his first 3 seasons, Tryamkin whined about having to play physically, that's why WD asked him to view Pronger tapes

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Chara amassed 300 PIM in his first 3 seasons, Tryamkin whined about having to play physically, that's why WD asked him to view Pronger tapes

Chara amassed tons of PMS cause he couldn’t skate.  I know you have insane... yes insane love for WD but WD did not do as well with the Trymakin file as he should have. 

WD’s handling of Nikita was what many see as the primary reason that Nikita went back to Russia. That’sa huge hole in our current defence, thanks to WD. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Feel free RZ. Off course none of it is meant to be taken seriously. Many of the people I say these kind of things to, I actually like and have time for. 

Oh, 100%....I won't respond to someone I don't have time for but I love having comebacks the befit the crime.   Some of the claims and projections are so far removed from what really will happen you just feel you need that extra "special" response....like the about a brain hemisphere off-season.

• Haha 1

Blaming WD for Tryamkin's departure is nonsense.  I would think that there have been thousands of situations where a hockey player has had 'issues' with his coach and thinks that he is not getting the ice time he deserves.  Most of them just 'suck it up' and continue to work towards their goal of becoming an NHL player.

Becoming a NHL player takes incredible commitment and drive; even for players with a hefty amount of skill.  An individual that sets his goal to be the best that he can be (in the best league in the world), does not simply give it all up so that he can go home and be comfy playing in his home town league.

Although I do believe that much of the reason for his departure were due to personal reasons rather than professional, I still have e some concerns  with his overall dedication and motivation to have a career in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Chara amassed tons of PMS cause he couldn’t skate.  I know you have insane... yes insane love for WD but WD did not do as well with the Trymakin file as he should have. 

WD’s handling of Nikita was what many see as the primary reason that Nikita went back to Russia. That’sa huge hole in our current defence, thanks to WD. 

Bollocks!

8 hours ago, lmm said:

why don't you check the date on that article?

Its not only pre-Willie, its pre-Torts

The Torts year was when the wear really started to show

Oh so, as he aged and missed a few games  he becomes "injury prone". I guess the majority of his career as the NHL iron man means nothing, right? 

But sure, let's ignore that fact and go with your reasoning. In the 6 seasons after his iron man streak was broken, he played all 82 games in 3 of the 6. In 2 of the 3 seasons containing injuries he played more then 72 of the 82 games, and in one seasons did miss a substantial amount of time due to injury. A study in 2012 reported that 63% of players in the NHL miss at least one game over the season, with the average being around 9 games. Placing Hendrik Sedin right on the medium for the 2 seasons with minor injuries. So the straight facts are that the majority of his career was league leading iron man, 2 of his 3 injury seasons were literally league average and 1 seasons he has a obvious injury. 

The facts say you are wrong.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, lmm said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-sedin-canucks-injuries/c-280283054

So I could retract the injury prone statement but it seems he was.

Sure he didn't miss many games but he played injured, and he did not play well.

There was a time when Hank was a legit Iron man, but not late in his career. 

He was a broken down player suiting up because the team was bad.

I know many of you will cheer his tenacity but his effectiveness was lost due to age and injury, regardless of whether he did not miss games.

Alright so by your logic we should ice a team of 25 years or younger, and trade any player who plays through injury?...

Somebody get this guy Aquamans number! I see a GM of the year nomination coming.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, 100%....I won't respond to someone I don't have time for but I love having comebacks the befit the crime.   Some of the claims and projections are so far removed from what really will happen you just feel you need that extra "special" response....like the about a brain hemisphere off-season.

.. oh look, it’s a 4:20 love fest !!

keep it up you 2 Fuzzy Bears LMAO.

Never thought I’d see an EGO bigger than Willie Desjardins folks,

but here it is...

Which when translated to English means what exactly?

You could be right. 

All I know is there is no way I would have gone as quietly as he did, given everyone could see that JB and Linden's inexperience shafted him.

You don't go from 101 points (2nd in the pacific) to 75 points unless the GM is asleep at the wheel.

Let's face it if Willie had been given the roster Green got last season, does anyone really think he would have failed to match 73 points. That was only 4 points better than the season WD was fired and 2 points less than WD's 2nd season.

And I say that as a supporter of Jimbo.

I'm not unhappy with Green I like the job he is doing and I think he is going to do well for us but I hate the amount of sh-t that gets heaped on WD on here.

Agree with all that and have said as much. 

I think Bo will be our fittest player although I actually think most of the roster will be knocking themselves out in the off season as it doesn't take a genius to see there is far more competition for places now than there has been for a long time.

I imagine players like Motte, Leipsic, Gaunce, Jake, Hutton, Sautner, Stech, Pouliot, MDZ, Granlund and Gagner will be especially determined to show up lean mean and hungry.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How many coaches reached the playoffs in their first season?

Let's not confuse reality and re-write history. WD was a Calder Cup winner, he reached the playoffs with a massive 101 points in the hardest div/conference.

Then the rug was jerked from under his feet and he was left to struggle with AHL level players, players not ready for the NHL and of course a massive injury list. 

In case no one noticed Green was given players by JB who amassed 127 points and yet he still only bettered WD's last season by FOUR POINTS

Green had the same top 9 of Willie's points scorers PLUS.......... Boeser, Vanek and Gagner (127 additional points)

The difference of only 4 points at the end of the season demonstrates what many of us on here believe. That WD was exceptional at getting the most out of the players available to him and running systems which took account of the standard of these players.

That is not failure that is performing f------g miracles with a lot less.

We know fine WD was TOLD to play Larsen so that JB could see what he had. We were desperate for a puck moving D and JB wanted to see if Larsen was the answer. This did no harm as Tryamkin thought he could treat the Canucks like a pub team, turn up out of condition, and still command a place in the team.

You've been out in the sun too much bud.

For a start if you can't get up the Grouse in decent time you are not likely to command 10 mins never mind the 20 mins Tryamkin obviously thought he was worth. 

Just for your own education, don't confuse speed with stamina.

Wow I would address this but I wouldn't know where to start. I recommend you read my post above on WD's performance.

Your second last sentence should embarrass you.

Bud you don't write some of the garbage you have written above and then say "Trust me":lol:

At 22/23 Chara was a fixture in the NHL Tryamkin was just coming into the league. Chara had also amassed almost 300 PIM

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Bollocks!

^^  spoken like your hanging on to them tightly.. don’t hurt yourself with that.. seems like Zepp is willing to coddle?

Tryamkin will return, and if the glimpses of play we have seen from him locally are any indication, He will become an outstanding player in the NHL.

The 2 of you can keep talking about how out of shape he is..

the rest of us will just remember what a crappy Coach Desjardins was.

Ps.  Alfy Boy,   with an Ego like yours you should working in Vancouver Sports Media.. or for God, eh?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 4
  • Upvote 1