The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL.   How do I flip flop?   WD is a good hockey man but clearly was the wrong coach at the wrong time for the Canucks.   Where have I said differently?   Flip flopping would mean I have said WD was worst coach in Canuck history one week and then said they may a massive mistake in firing him.

I hate playing this card but I will as you won't stop - you are not looking at this like a player does or would.   Any player who wants to be in the NHL, particularly in their rookie year, would never turn their back on a shot at NHL just because they didn't like a coach or a coach hurt their feelings.   ANY player.  This has nothing to do with the "time" (I bet I am much younger than you, and I am still young enough that people I played with all the way up are still in professional hockey as players) but everything to do with the reality of professional sport.   Tryamkin cannot control who his coach is but he could control whether he really wanted to be in the NHL.   He ran away - yes RAN AWAY from a situation versus sticking it out and showing that he belonged.   

The "Canuck Brass" did not learn anything close to what you are implying.  NOT A HOPE they ever let a raw rookie dictate who plays and how the coach makes decisions.   Not a hope.   Perhaps if Tryamkin was a first overall pick and a generational talent with maturity that didn't include running away from a challenge, then perhaps they would listen to input but only listen under "advisement" with no promises.

You can keep trying a narrative here all you like, simply fact is that is not how it is in the game of hockey, not how it is going to be and wasn't anything here other than a player that simply gave up on himself no matter how you want to spin this.    Talk to ANY player who has played the game - call up your station there when Bertuzzi is on and ask about being a rookie and whether he would have left due to a coach he didn't like.   

Not sure what you have invested in this kid and for his sake, I hope he gives it another shot but if it isn't this year I don't think it ever happens for him, but whatever your personal stake in this is, you have a false narrative going and it seems to be eating away at you.    The fact that Tryamkin is in Russia is on one person only - Tryamkin.   It has as much to do with WD as it does with you or the phases of moon.....any of those are just excuses to not face a challenge.

One of the 2 was fired,

the other decided to go back to a league that he could get more ice time. he averaged 22mins a night to better himself, become Captain of his team, and draw the eye of his National Squad to be listed and play.

Nothing wrong with the decision,

hopefully, we may still reap the rewards of Nik knowing what Is best for him,. and not Rob Zepp’s feelings. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If you're not here to fluff the Willie, he has one message for you...

giphy.gif

WD has nothing to do with Tryamkins actions. He called WD "normal" while he said a coach who he didn't even know a "good guy(?)" How is that for BS?

I'm afraid people like you and SS are so butthurt about Tryamkin's decision to leave you have to blame it on someone I guess. 

Was it not Lidster who ran and coached D? So does that not mean Lidster would ultimately decide TOI?

It doesn't really matter, all most of us know is the Canucks "made" the player who went back to star in Russia. He must have also thought his improved game would warrant an Olympic place. (it must have been a shock when he wasn't selected - to his massive ego at least) 

Some people think that was actually one of the reasons that tilted him in favour of going back because he knew NHL players were excluded.

22 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What about people like me HW that didn't think WD did a good job and still blame Tryamkin for his own decisions?   If a rookie quits because of a coach, whether that coach be WD or Keenan or Scott Bowman, it is on that kid and not the coach.   There isn't a player in the NHL that didn't have a coach at one point that they didn't align with and there isn't a rookie who didn't feel under used and/or misunderstood etc. etc.   

Tryamkin was a kid who had some definite upside but needed to decide if he really wanted to be here and he decided to go home.   He (or anyone else) blame the coach, ice-time or anything else they want to blame but fact is he was a rookie in the NHL and as shown for every rookie, as I did above for Shea Weber, they have to earn things and not expect them.   It is not up to a rookie to compare himself and decide he is misunderstood or held back.   It is up to a rookie to bust his assets, man up and come back next season even more ready to make an impression.    The Canucks did their part and changed coaches - Tryamkin decided on an easier path.

I think the problem with your posts is this juvenile, "man up, tail between his legs, run home", etc., tone.

He made a decision, for his own reasons, and we all have to live with the consequences.

Your points are well made, just get rid of the (imo) unnecessary derogitories.

I want Tryamkin back in a big way (pun intended) and anything that can help, like extending open arms, offering a second chance, and starting from scratch with a clean slate should be offered to help his transition back to the team, and assist him gaining management's and his teammates' respect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anybody who doesn't understand why Tryamkin - with a young expecting her first child - jumped at the opportunity to play for his hometown team doesn't know anything about what a big deal your first baby is. Family is very involved, and it is really helpful, especially for the wife. So this was perfect for his family. I mean, for a hockey player in his early 20's to have the chance to choose to play professional hockey in his hometown is awesome in itself. And the fact he could do it at the perfect time for his family made it too good to turn down.

All the other stuff (abandoning a loser team, not liking the coach, not liking his icetime, not liking Vancouver, not fitting in with teammates, etc, etc.), may or may not be true. But even if his situation in Vancouver was better, he may still have decided to take the KHL offer. There are still lots of years left to play NHL hockey down the road.

• Upvote 4
34 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think the problem with your posts is this juvenile, "man up, tail between his legs, run home", etc., tone.

He made a decision, for his own reasons, and we all have to live with the consequences.

I want Tryamkin back in a big way (pun intended) and anything that can help, like extending open arms, offering a second chance, and starting from scratch with a clean slate should be offered to help his transition back to the team, and assist him gaining management's and his teammates' respect.

It is an incredible accomplishment to make it to the NHL but it is also an enormous privilege.   I don't have a lot of time for guys who run away from it and then blame everything but the real reasons.   Sorry, you have your perspective, I have mine.   I don't have to "live with the consequences"....there are no consequences to me other than a few keystrokes about the guy....as far as I am concerned, he is not NHL material until he fixes his priorities and attitude.

I totally get if he wanted to leave for family reasons, homesick reasons etc. etc.   Then it was truly a "decision" for his own reasons.   If he truly did leave for all the reasons that the other poster in the tennis match was making, it is truly "man up" and "ran home" as rookie NHL players who don't like their coach or don't think they got enough ice time.....uh, that is about equal to the number of rookie NHL players each and every year.

The tone was for the other poster.....as I am not even remotely sure it applies to the kid in question.   IF he really did leave for wanting, as a rookie, to dictate his minutes, question roster moves and refuse to take input on play....then he did "run away" and clearly wasn't (and may never be) ready for the NHL game...and, yes, that would be a "man up" situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, stawns said:

He was not an outstanding player.......he was a kid who could develop into an outstanding player.  But, do you know what kind of players develop into outstanding players?  Players who listen to coaches, keep their mouths shut and go to work.  Kids who pout about ice time, which was quite high for an out of shape rookie, take their puck and go home are doomed to live out their careers in the wasteland that is the KHL.  

I loved Try, and would welcome him back with open arms, if he changes his attitude and comes back ready to learn and to work.

Last season avg.  22 mins per game.

Captained his Team.

Made the National Team.. 22yrs old.

That is outstanding.

what did you do at that age Stawns?   Detach from your soother?

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2018-07-17 at 4:57 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, ok.    I hope he gets his poo together too and mans up and tries again as well but I doubt very much he cares about my feelings on the subject.   Clearly you don't either.   :lol:

14 hours ago, alfstonker said:

WD has nothing to do with Tryamkins actions. He called WD "normal" while he said a coach who he didn't even know a "good guy(?)" How is that for BS?

I'm afraid people like you and SS are so butthurt about Tryamkin's decision to leave you have to blame it on someone I guess. 

Was it not Lidster who ran and coached D? So does that not mean Lidster would ultimately decide TOI?

It doesn't really matter, all most of us know is the Canucks "made" the player who went back to star in Russia. He must have also thought his improved game would warrant an Olympic place. (it must have been a shock when he wasn't selected - to his massive ego at least) 

Some people think that was actually one of the reasons that tilted him in favour of going back because he knew NHL players were excluded.

You two really over think things...

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Last season avg.  22 mins per game.

Captained his Team.

Made the National Team.. 22yrs old.

That is outstanding.

what did you do at that age Stawns?   Detach from your soother?

In a cut rate league.  On the NHL, he's a 5-6 dman with the potential to be top 4, maybe even top 2........if he changes his attitude and work ethic.

I highly doubt you'd find anyone here who wouldn't welcome him back, happily, with some maturity.  If not, kudos to him for taking the path of least resistance.

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Tryamkin made his decision, but also voiced his opinion on what he didn't like. And certainly there's been plenty of bad-mouthing of Desjardins in this thread (just like pretty much any player at a given time in other threads) so it's a bit of what's good for the cat is good for the canary.

About the only reason any of us can think of that Tryamkin would go back to better his career (more minutes in a lesser league for less money isn't bettering his career) was that he could get seen by the Russian national team. I wouldn't have a lot of issue with that - and technically I don't have any issue with him doing it for family reasons as well - but for Tryamkin to complain it smelled like pot and he didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved then leave when he had a chance with a new coach only sets him up for that kind of reaction.

Us commenting on a message board about it isn't going to change whether he comes back or not. Even Canucks fans posting on his social media won't change that. He'll come back when he's ready to work and be an NHL player.

Speaking of work, the comparisons to Chara haven't compared one thing - work ethic. Tryamkin might be further ahead right now, but Chara is one of the hardest workers in the league at keeping in shape and getting better. I haven't seen that from Tryamkin yet.

It doesn't matter how high his potential is if he won't work at it to get there. He certainly won't get there without playing against the best players in the world, and those are in the NHL.

Edited by elvis15
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Anybody who doesn't understand why Tryamkin - with a young expecting her first child - jumped at the opportunity to play for his hometown team doesn't know anything about what a big deal your first baby is. Family is very involved, and it is really helpful, especially for the wife. So this was perfect for his family. I mean, for a hockey player in his early 20's to have the chance to choose to play professional hockey in his hometown is awesome in itself. And the fact he could do it at the perfect time for his family made it too good to turn down.

All the other stuff (abandoning a loser team, not liking the coach, not liking his icetime, not liking Vancouver, not fitting in with teammates, etc, etc.), may or may not be true. But even if his situation in Vancouver was better, he may still have decided to take the KHL offer. There are still lots of years left to play NHL hockey down the road.

Except he flat out said it was the ice time and coach didn't he?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Except he flat out said it was the ice time and coach didn't he?

And when he was then asked if there were family reasons as well, he said yes, there were a number of different reasons, including family reasons. Of course he put ice time and coach as the main reason. If the major reason is because he loves his new bride and wants her to be happy, you feel that he would or should state that? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

And when he was then asked if there were family reasons as well, he said yes, there were a number of different reasons, including family reasons. Of course he put ice time and coach as the main reason. If the major reason is because he loves his new bride and wants her to be happy, you feel that he would or should state that? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

So he throws the org under the bus to avoid that convo?  I think he said what he thought

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic