The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Whoa.   Why do you assume he will be capable of the NHL let alone a top 4 role?   He is playing in a league where the equivalence of the Norris trophy just went to Philip Larson.   Yes, that Philip Larson.   

If your "Norris winner" cannot make it in the NHL, how is another Dman going to be an automatically assumed top 4 Dman in the NHL?

Because I have seen him play in the NHL as a rookie and seen his improvement.  Then there is his enormous improvement in the KHL after that.  By the end of his first year in Vancouver he was one of our top four defencemen, and a helluva lot better than Gudbranson even then.  Of course that might be damning with faint praise.  I believe what my eyes tell me, not what other people say.  How do you think people knew McDavid was a great player before he ever played an NHL game?  I’m not saying Tryamkin is McDavid, but the principle is the same.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

I see Tryamkin being that big 3rd pair D that can shut down other teams and make a physical impact. With our current prospects/players I see our D corps shaping up something like this

Hughes-_______

Juolevi-Woo

Tryamkin-Stecher

Brisebois-Chatfield

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Because I have seen him play in the NHL as a rookie and seen his improvement.  Then there is his enormous improvement in the KHL after that.  By the end of his first year in Vancouver he was one of our top four defencemen, and a helluva lot better than Gudbranson even then.  Of course that might be damning with faint praise.  I believe what my eyes tell me, not what other people say.  How do you think people knew McDavid was a great player before he ever played an NHL game?  I’m not saying Tryamkin is McDavid, but the principle is the same.

I think you are vastly over rating the big guy is you say he is a "lot better than Guddy".   The big guy HAD a lot of potential - he may still but he was very raw and made many, many errors in coverage that were getting better but had a long way to go.   If he had committed to one or so years in AHL under a Green at the time chances are he would indeed now be in the NHL and even in the top 6.   

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Enormous improvement in the KHL or just looks better in a far inferior league?  One could argue that he might have taken a step back in his development.  It's barely in the same universe as the NHL

2 hours ago, TGokou said:

KHL is probably better than the AHL. I think they only award primary assists if I'm not mistaken. 

I've heard that as well, but it's kind of hard to believe when the KHL's best defensive player is Philip Larson.  Then there's Nigel Dawes, who is the top goal scorer in the league. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kovalchuk-datsyuk-larson-dawes-honoured-khl-awards/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think you are vastly over rating the big guy is you say he is a "lot better than Guddy".   The big guy HAD a lot of potential - he may still but he was very raw and made many, many errors in coverage that were getting better but had a long way to go.   If he had committed to one or so years in AHL under a Green at the time chances are he would indeed now be in the NHL and even in the top 6.   

If you want to talk poor coverage, you better take a look at your guy, Gudbranson, who after SEVEN years NHL experience, is still awful in his own zone, to which you have to add that his best outlet pass is icing, and for whom it is far better that he leave the attacking zone rather than be in it lest he be left standing at the blue line when the opposing team breaks out past him.  Another factor is that staying healthy is a SKILL, one which he has yet to master, at least while he has been in Vancouver - he has managed to play in only half the games for which he is eligible to play.

As for Tryamkin having “had great potential”, by the end of the year showed a lot more than mere potential - a ‘potential’ that he did nothing but improve in Russia.  How does one prove that?  Well, we have Tryamkin’s record from before he came to Vancouver, and after he returned to Yekaterinburg:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=159881

The record is clear that he had a vast improvement as playing on the same team and in the very same league.  Yes, we can objectively measure his improvement.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, TGokou said:

KHL is probably better than the AHL. I think they only award primary assists if I'm not mistaken. 

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I've heard that as well, but it's kind of hard to believe when the KHL's best defensive player is Philip Larson.  Then there's Nigel Dawes, who is the top goal scorer in the league. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kovalchuk-datsyuk-larson-dawes-honoured-khl-awards/

I’ve heard many people say this but it’s not true. Perhaps in the old Russian Super League days?

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Enormous improvement in the KHL or just looks better in a far inferior league?  One could argue that he might have taken a step back in his development.  It's barely in the same universe as the NHL

You don’t get the point.  What the data shows is that Tryamkin performed at a certain level in the KHL, then goes to the NHL, then returns to the KHL and performs more than twice as well as he did before he came to the NHL.  The comparison is apples to apples - KHL to KHL with a year of NHL development in between.  There is no basis for a step backward in development unless you believe that vast improvement is going backwards.  Again, the comparison is KHL to KHL, get it?  Tryamkin’s performance is being measured by the same yardstick - the measurement is commensurate and shows vast improvement.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If you want to talk poor coverage, you better take a look at your guy, Gudbranson, who after SEVEN years NHL experience, is still awful in his own zone, to which you have to add that his best outlet pass is icing, and for whom it is far better that he leave the attacking zone rather than be in it lest he be left standing at the blue line when the opposing team breaks out past him.  Another factor is that staying healthy is a SKILL, one which he has yet to master, at least while he has been in Vancouver - he has managed to play in only half the games for which he is eligible to play.

As for Tryamkin having “had great potential”, by the end of the year showed a lot more than mere potential - a ‘potential’ that he did nothing but improve in Russia.  How does one prove that?  Well, we have Tryamkin’s record from before he came to Vancouver, and after he returned to Yekaterinburg:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=159881

The record is clear that he had a vast improvement as playing on the same team and in the very same league.  Yes, we can objectively measure his improvement.

Sure, good luck with that.   Your opinion on Guddy noted - and I disagree.   Your opinion on Tryamkin noted - and I disagree.

Cheers.   :)

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Ohhh...good one...go follow the coilers.  You are good...real gud....witty and all. Lol.

Sure, good luck with that.   Your opinion on Guddy noted - and I disagree.   Your opinion on Tryamkin noted - and I disagree.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Philip Larson was the KHL best defenseman.  Get it?

F00DB4C3-C61D-41B0-92FA-9E7FE20E08EC.jpeg.3ad42ec38b9dc95be84236d152a20d07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

F00DB4C3-C61D-41B0-92FA-9E7FE20E08EC.jpeg.3ad42ec38b9dc95be84236d152a20d07.jpeg

I do love cupcakes

• Like 1

Fair enough, the proof will be if he comes back.  The proof about Gudbranson will be if he ever earns what he is being paid.  I’d love to be wrong, D’s can take a long time to get it, but it’s been seven years now and he still hasn’t got it.  One thing he should do is stop fighting, he’s not good at it, and he just gets hurt when he engages in it.  Right now, he needs to prove that there is a lot more to his game, because as it stands Tryamkin was better at the rough stuff than him, too.

i’d like to see Gudbranson earn his money, and I’m pretty sure you’d like to See Tryamkin earning his as a Canuck.  It would be quite the thing for us both to get our wishes.

It would be nice to have a beer over it some day when they are both playing in the playoffs.

• Hydration 2

As over analyzed as it is here with the Canucks I believe there's more politics there playing in the K. 

He'll be chomping at the bit to prove himself again, here, in two seasons. I don't think he really needs Goldy, per se, because his first devotion seems to be his wife and family.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stawns said:

Philip Larson was the KHL best defenseman.  Get it?

Sure, I get it.  You’re telling me he was better than Tryamkin in the NHL.  No?  Oh, you’re not?  A lot of awards get handed out because you play on a better team, or a team that goes further in the playoffs - both of which Larson did.  Is he a better player?  Not a chance in hell.  By the end of his NHL season, Tryamkin was a good NHLDefender, Larson never was.  As to whether Tryamkin improved, the measure is what he did in the KHL both before and after his NHL stint, he had more than twice as many points and a a much improved +/- and much higher average ice time.  There is no similar comparison for Larson.  Larson looked fine when nobody was hitting him, Tryamkin looked better the rough it got.  Larson was a good European player, but just couldn’t make it when he was at risk of serious contact.

• Upvote 2
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic