The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Zhukenov and Pedan will be able to help him learn English next season in Utica (or Vancouver :ph34r:). He should be fine.

Zhukenov won't be in Utica most likely at that point. He's in junior for sure this coming year and I'd guess he does one more season after that before going pro. Maybe he really surprises and shows he's ready, but I wouldn't rush him.

Zhukenov won't be in Utica most likely at that point. He's in junior for sure this coming year and I'd guess he does one more season after that before going pro. Maybe he really surprises and shows he's ready, but I wouldn't rush him.

I hope he really surprises in training camp this year. Can't wait to see the kid's highlights from the YS tourney.

I know some Russians from work. Apparently the lower mainland community is pretty strong 100,000+ and they have their own newspaper etc. It's a long way from home but there are plenty of native Russian speakers here.

Edited by Crabcakes

Well in fairness, he could probably stay in Russia the next ~4 years and it wouldn't make much/any difference to the Canucks or his development. So him signing a KHL extension after this year for another year or two really wouldn't be the end of the world.

As I said in my above post, he's likely not an NHL caliber D until he's ~25+ and likely wouldn't be a big player even in Utica until he's 22-23 (AKA 2-3 years from now) short of him taking some astounding developmental leap.

Well you are most likely right about when he will be effective some things you have to consider are that we only have 2 years from his draft to sign him or he becomes a UFA and that he will be 21 in 3 weeks.

We need to sign him at the end of this season or we will lose him. It would mean he starts in the AHL at 22 and would likely play 2 - 3 seasons there.

• Upvote 1

What's really scary is that he's only twenty and probably not finished growing. Imagine 3 more inches and 20 more pounds on this guy!

Guys are pretty much done growing by 20, at most he'll grow maybe half an inch.

Could see him adding 20 pounds within the next couple years though.

Well you are most likely right about when he will be effective some things you have to consider are that we only have 2 years from his draft to sign him or he becomes a UFA and that he will be 21 in 3 weeks.

We need to sign him at the end of this season or we will lose him. It would mean he starts in the AHL at 22 and would likely play 2 - 3 seasons there.

Can we not re-sign/maintain his NHL rights even if he stays in the KHL for a couple more years?

Guys are pretty much done growing by 20, at most he'll grow maybe half an inch.

Could see him adding 20 pounds within the next couple years though.

Fair enough. Although I knew a fella who went to Tupper and ran into him five years after high school. He was 5'6" in high school and when I saw him at 22 he had grown to 6'0".

I asked when the growth spurt happened and he stated that it occurred between his 19th and 21st years. It may be rare but it does happen.

As well, Robert Pershing Wadlow (the tallest human being ever) continued to grow until he passed away at the age of 22. Although this was due to the hyperplasia of his pituitary gland. Also rare.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

Is he making millions though? I somehow doubt he's a super star even in the KHL and guys who aren't super stars don't tend to rake in the dough over there. Particularly given their recent economy issues. He might be making a decent salary (roughly on par with/slightly more than he would in the AHL) and understandably have the comforts of home nearby but otherwise...

Anyone know where to find KHL salaries...? I'm curious what he's making there.

It's my understanding that the Russian version of the PA doesn't allow the disclosure of individual player salaries.

However, the KHL did release the following report on salaries for the 2012-13 season: http://en.khl.ru/documents/KHL_salaries_2012-2013_en.pdf

The Russian economy was in a little better shape back then (as were the finances of several of the KHL clubs), so I doubt the average team is spending much more now than they were in 2012-13.

Based on that report, 28% of KHL players were making less than 5 million roubles per season (around $80,000 USD). 16% were making between 5-10 million roubles (roughly $80,000 to $160,000 USD). 12% were making 10-15 million roubles (roughly $160,000 to $240,000 USD). 16% were making 15-22.5 million roubles (roughly $240,000 to $350,000). 8% were making 22.5-30 million roubles (roughly $350,000 to $475,000 USD). 10% were making 30-45 million roubles (roughly $475,000 to $700,000 USD). 5% were making 45-60 million roubles (roughly $700,000 to $1 million USD). And 5% were making over 60 million roubles (roughly $1 million USD and above).

So the vast majority of KHL players are probably earning salaries less than $1 million USD per season. And more than half of KHL players are likely being paid something below $250,000 USD per season (and more than a quarter of all KHL players are probably only earning something equivalent to a five figure USD salary).

In 2012-13, Avtomobilist (Tryamkin's team) didn't have any players making more than 30 million roubles (which is just under a half million USD). 11 of their 26 roster players were on salaries less than 5 million roubles (around $80,000 USD).

Based on all that, I'd be surprised if Tryamkin's salary was over 5 million roubles per season (which is less than 100K USD in today's currency). At the most, he might be somewhere in the 5-10 million roubles range (around $80,000 to $160,000 USD).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Can we not re-sign/maintain his NHL rights even if he stays in the KHL for a couple more years?

Yup, it's just for unsigned junior drafted players that they'd reenter the draft or become UFA. If they're playing pro overseas their NHL drafted team would still hold their rights since they couldn't sign until their overseas contract was done, unlike an amateur player.

bummer cross fingers his team makes the Spengler cup then.

I'm not sure if we'll see his KHL team in that tourney, would be easier to see him though.

Based on all that, I'd be surprised if Tryamkin's salary was over 5 million roubles per season (which is less than 100K USD in today's currency). At the most, he might be somewhere in the 5-10 million roubles range (around $80,000 to $160,000 USD).

As I figured. Thanks SID ;)

Yup, it's just for unsigned junior drafted players that they'd reenter the draft or become UFA. If they're playing pro overseas their NHL drafted team would still hold their rights since they couldn't sign until their overseas contract was done, unlike an amateur player.

Thanks as well Elvis ;) I didn't think we simply lost his rights.

• Upvote 1

His KHL team Avtomobilist from Yekaterinburg is chosen to participate in Spengler Cup this year in Dec 26-31, 2015 so we might have chance to see Nikita play on TSN, at least against Canadian team

http://thehockeyhouse.net/international-hockey/avtomobilist-yekaterinburg-named-as-fifth-entry-for-2015-spengler-cup/

Well, there you go! More reason to watch this year.

Edited by elvis15

Just a general thought about Nikita's salary... At age 17 he signed his standard 5-year KHL contract (kind of ELC) which is going to expire on Apr 30, 2016. Under KHL regulations the minimum salary for player under 22 years is 750,000 roubles that used to be around $25,000 and is now twice less. At that time Tryamkin was just unknown junior so I would be very surprised if his salary exceeds 50,000 USD in last year of this contract. The next one would be a different story. Minimum salary for player 22 years and older is 3,000,000 rubles which is about a half million dollars now, which is still much more than in AHL. So he is playing out the last year of his current contract and hoping to be paid much more with the next one either in KHL or NHL. In one of his last interviews he said that he did not get any offer for new contract from his KHL club yet.