The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

He's most likely using it as a bargaining chip to get a one way contract with the Canucks.

If he has good representation, then absolutely. Plus, he's a Russian, living and playing there. What else could he say?

Well in his last interview with Russian sport website on Aug 10 he said that he did not have any plan for NHL yet and did not look too much ahead. He is open to consider offer from Avtomobilist for his new contract during coming season. This is link for those who read in Russian http://www.sport-express.ru/se-money/news/905642/. I think that Canucks management should be more active in convincing Nikita to come to NA. This is very tough decision for him mentally by itself and he needs as much support as he can get from the organization.

Why doesn't guy just come for preseason? Show us what he's got and if it looks like he is nhl calibre-ish that will only drive up his value to the KHL teams

Seems like a no brainer unless his contract doesn't permit nhl preseason

Edited by Canucks Curse

Why doesn't guy just come for preseason? Show us what he's got and if it looks like he is nhl calibre-ish that will only drive up his value to the KHL teams

His regular season will have been started by our pre-season I believe

Uh, because he'll already be over in the KHL for their season?

2015-2016 KHL season starts on Aug 24. Avtomobilist team has just finished one of the preseason tournaments.

BTW schedule for Spengler Cup is released. In its first game Avtomobilist plays Team Canada on Dec 26 which is Saturday.

Yeah I'm not writing him off. I want him to be good. But it seemed like people are expecting alot more than what he is capable of at this time. The good thing with him is his size, guy is huge. Getting a contract ext is a little odd though... maybe he wants to stay in the KHL...? Hope not... Man we need some more Dman prospects....

This.

People that are penciling him in as a top 4 dman are delusional lol. I liked the pick at the time and hope he does as well as the next guy, but let's be realistic lol. He's having a tough time holding down his spot in the K and you think he's a top 4 dman here? Need a miracle at this point for that to happen. Would be lucky if he turns into a serviceable bottom pair dman and that's stretching it atm.

This.

People that are penciling him in as a top 4 dman are delusional lol. I liked the pick at the time and hope he does as well as the next guy, but let's be realistic lol. He's having a tough time holding down his spot in the K and you think he's a top 4 dman here? Need a miracle at this point for that to happen. Would be lucky if he turns into a serviceable bottom pair dman and that's stretching it atm.

although I was never critical of the pick, I never really thought he had nhl potential. Take this with a grain of salt because my prediction was based on highlight reels, stay research and scouting reports.

Strikes me JB has a uncontrolled urge to land a 6-6" defenseman and you wonder how many draft pick's he'll go through before he finds "his man" Remember Mike Penny looking for a big centreman ( but ending up with Libor Polasek)

Strikes me JB has a uncontrolled urge to land a 6-6" defenseman and you wonder how many draft pick's he'll go through before he finds "his man" Remember Mike Penny looking for a big centreman ( but ending up with Libor Polasek)

I'd rather spend 3rd round picks trying to find one than overpaying through trade or free agency for average ones.

Has JB, Trevor or Gradin said anything recently about this kids development?

Lots of opinions flying around, not sure if it's based on Tryamkin's stats or what.

Most say he's years away, is that based on watching him play? Is he a number 4 D-man or a 7th?

Obviously his numbers are underwhelming as a defensive D-man, hard to get a read on his development in the KHL.

Has JB, Trevor or Gradin said anything recently about this kids development?

Lots of opinions flying around, not sure if it's based on Tryamkin's stats or what.

Most say he's years away, is that based on watching him play? Is he a number 4 D-man or a 7th?

Obviously his numbers are underwhelming as a defensive D-man, hard to get a read on his development in the KHL.

I watched a few of his games last year, there are a few points to consider...

KHL teams usually dress 8 defencemen and Tryamkin was always the youngest (Golyshev was the only player that suited up for any length of time that was younger but he's a forward). When Avto went into their playoff race, NT was bumped down the depth chart after ranging anywhere from #2-#6 in ice time. Younger players that play pro in Europe are usually used in a depth/reserve role anyway so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Tryamkin faces stronger competition than any other Canuck prospect in the system, most teams there would absolutely destroy any AHL team and a few of the top ones could probably change places with the bottom tier in the NHL, like the team Avto faced in the first round.

He's got some obvious attributes (size, mobility, heavy shot) but he's still pretty raw. I'd prefer it if he went to Utica for the 2016-17 season but it probably wouldn't hurt his development too much if he stayed for another year as long as he's making progress.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather spend 3rd round picks trying to find one than overpaying through trade or free agency for average ones.

Only 1/8 3rd round picks play over 200 NHL games anyway. I would gladly keep taking these guys to see if one becomes a force. I am sure we will eventually get a physical 7th D at worst. I can see Pedan reaching this level very realistically given how he played with Utica.

Edited by canucklehead44
  • 2 weeks later...

Why can't we have this guy come play for us? Can't we just pay the Russian team, or buy his contact? We could use him now!

He's not ready for the NHL yet. His talents are still way too raw.

I'd rather him develop over there in the second best league in the world, and come to North America ready to jump right into the NHL.

• Upvote 1

He's not ready for the NHL yet. His talents are still way too raw.

I'd rather him develop over there in the second best league in the world, and come to North America ready to jump right into the NHL.

That sounds good to me, but could we lose him, like with some of those college drafted kids?

That sounds good to me, but could we lose him, like with some of those college drafted kids?

No, there's a different set of rules for players playing overseas. We'll hold his rights until he decides to come over (or not).

Edited by DeNiro
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nikita Tryamkin | #88 | D
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic