The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Some of you guys trashing Tryamkin didn't even watch the entire Canucks season two years ago, did you?  

It was a terrible season to watch, I'll give you that, but don't go around making some arguments when Nik has a full season of NHL credentials to prove you wrong. 

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think next season (19-20) might be the perfect opportunity for Nik to return..   l think you guys will agree that the 20-21 season will have our D core pretty well set for this franchise. 

Having said that,  let’s keep in mind that this is hockey, and anything could happen.. even if Tryamkin was to join the ranks in the 20-21 season, I think his play would have him getting great minutes, let’s not forget that he is playing in a professional league and not college.. and anyone who can rag doll Jamie Benn without really throwing a mitt, could play on my team.

Problem being if he follows through on his statement of fulfilling his contract as he stated he would. I agree there's far more room next year even if it were for nothing else than to up his trade value before the other guys arrive (or steal one of their future spots). But two years from now..?

5 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I haven't seen him play in 2 years now, but I don't think he is better than Edler, Tanev, or Hutton at this point.  Let's remember that Philip Larsen was the best defenseman in the KHL and was the worst on our team.  That league is not 1 small step below the NHL it is 2 or 3 giant leaps.  Nigel Dawes leads his team in scoring and, sadly, the league.  Very difficult to determine where he would fit in.

I put him behind those three and Gudbranson (with a chance of moving past him and Hutton a possibility). Roughly on par with Stecher (albeit obviously a different skill set/tool box).

Like I said a couple posts ago, as a 6-8 guy (which could easily happen after adding Hughes and/or a UFA/another prospect), does he even bother coming back?

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

The better question might be:

Will we even have room for him if he wants back?

Assuming we re-sign Edler, we'll have Edler, Hutton, Juolevi as left side depth, Hughes, Brisebois and Rathbone can play both sides iirc (as can Tryamkin), (assuming Tanev is gone after next year) Gudbranson, Stecher and then Woo, maybe Chatfield likely knocking on the door... That's a lot of capable bodies for 8'ish spots and it doesn't include the very real possibility of targeting someone in free agency (Myers, Karlsson etc) or trading some of our F depth for a D.

And I have to assume he's not keen on coming back for a 6-8 D depth role....

My only concern on your depth chart is that both Gubranson and Hutton have to be resigned along with Edler. Interesting times.

The biggest issue I see with Tryamkin is what I expect his expectation will be coming back to the NHL. He was a 3 year vet of the KHL when he first came over and he wanted TOI of at least 20 minutes. That was an expectation of top 4 TOI as a rookie. If he comes back who's TOI will he be taking? If he doesn't get the TOI does he become disruptive? His common refrain that I heard from him was that he had to be better than his team mates because he was Russian. A not very disguised suggestion of prejudice against Russians. In the end Benning will have to decide whether Tryamkin's potential is worth it or not. 

I agree with you that if another year goes by the org depth could easily have Tryamkin in a bottom pairing if he returned. The possible caveat would be a resigned Edler having his TOI reduced into sub 20 TOI. IMHO more balanced TOI with the d-core pairings makes more sense. Not only does it give ice to a younger group but mitigates the almost inevitable string of injuries the group seems to experience EVERY year.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

His common refrain that I heard from him was that he had to be better than his team mates because he was Russian. A not very disguised suggestion of prejudice against Russians.

I heard him say Goldy has to overcome the same problems.

At least Goldy always has Larionov over-talking him and making him sound like he understands what he needs to do to succeed here (work hard, back check, forecheck, pay attention)

“I’m in touch with Nikolay Goldobin, he calls me, we keep in touch. He proved he can play well, I’m happy for him. Somehow he’s still being smothered, still influenced by the Russian factor, this cannot be avoided.”

I want tryamkin back as much as anybody, but that belief/attitude will ruin his ability to succeed here, Larionov could probably grind it out of him.

Edited by nzan

10 minutes ago, nzan said:

I heard him say Goldy has to overcome the same problems.

At least Goldy always has Larionov over-talking him and making him sound like he understands what he needs to do to succeed here (work hard, back check, forecheck, pay attention)

“I’m in touch with Nikolay Goldobin, he calls me, we keep in touch. He proved he can play well, I’m happy for him. Somehow he’s still being smothered, still influenced by the Russian factor, this cannot be avoided.”

I want tryamkin back as much as anybody, but that belief/attitude will ruin his ability to succeed here, Larionov could probably grind it out of him.

Who gives a f---k!

We are on our way, Goldy is rebuilding his game as he needs to do and doing well and Tryamkin is a distant memory of someone who is on the verge of being forgotten. He will be telling his kids he played for the mighty Canucks for a couple of seasons and they will ask "Was that when they won the cups?"  And he will say, "get to bed, I don't want to talk about it"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin is probably making under 1 million per year there

There's a lot of reasons for him to come back.

Under one million there is a good chunk of change considering the lack of taxes, I think 13 percent is russia's tax rate, lower cost of living, and no paying into escrow is very attractive from a buisiness stand point. We would probably have to offer him something that would get his competitive juices going like playing with hughes to get him back over here. 

16 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I haven't seen him play in 2 years now, but I don't think he is better than Edler, Tanev, or Hutton at this point.  Let's remember that Philip Larsen was the best defenseman in the KHL and was the worst on our team.  That league is not 1 small step below the NHL it is 2 or 3 giant leaps.  Nigel Dawes leads his team in scoring and, sadly, the league.  Very difficult to determine where he would fit in.

Get dazn dixon. They run khl games on their app and automobilist is one of the feature teams. 

It is a different league over there because size doen't matter as much on their ice as it does here. It is a very good league though and the quality of talent isn't two or three giant leaps below.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Who gives a f---k!

We are on our way, Goldy is rebuilding his game as he needs to do and doing well and Tryamkin is a distant memory of someone who is on the verge of being forgotten. He will be telling his kids he played for the mighty Canucks for a couple of seasons and they will ask "Was that when they won the cups?"  And he will say, "get to bed, I don't want to talk about it"

Haha, fair point.

It occurs to me that some of the metamorphosis of Goldy’s game can be attributed to correct thinking from Larionov.

Of course that’s just a personal assumption, but if he could do the same for Tryamkin I’d happily have him on our cup teams.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, nzan said:

Haha, fair point.

It occurs to me that some of the metamorphosis of Goldy’s game can be attributed to correct thinking from Larionov.

Of course that’s just a personal assumption, but if he could do the same for Tryamkin I’d happily have him on our cup teams.

I think you're right. However it is hard to turn a player against the wishes of his wife and that seems to be the end of the Tryamkin "fairy tale"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My only concern on your depth chart is that both Gubranson and Hutton have to be resigned along with Edler. Interesting times.

The biggest issue I see with Tryamkin is what I expect his expectation will be coming back to the NHL. He was a 3 year vet of the KHL when he first came over and he wanted TOI of at least 20 minutes. That was an expectation of top 4 TOI as a rookie. If he comes back who's TOI will he be taking? If he doesn't get the TOI does he become disruptive? His common refrain that I heard from him was that he had to be better than his team mates because he was Russian. A not very disguised suggestion of prejudice against Russians. In the end Benning will have to decide whether Tryamkin's potential is worth it or not. 

I agree with you that if another year goes by the org depth could easily have Tryamkin in a bottom pairing if he returned. The possible caveat would be a resigned Edler having his TOI reduced into sub 20 TOI. IMHO more balanced TOI with the d-core pairings makes more sense. Not only does it give ice to a younger group but mitigates the almost inevitable string of injuries the group seems to experience EVERY year.

Gudbranson's got two more years after this one. He's here for at least for the year in question of Tryamkin's potential return. 

And yes, I certainly see Edler's TOI reducing as Hughes, Juolevi etc acclimate. Still leaves NT likely in a 3rd pairing role as we've both noted and even with more spread out minutes, that's still likely only in the 17-18 minute range until injuries hit. Not sure that flies with the big guy.

• Cheers 1

Willie absolutely had a negative Russian bias. I said this a year ago in this thread but what other young forward would get benched immediately after scoring a breakaway goal  like Goldy did after his first goal with us.  

Tryamkin’s ice time distribution was absolute horse sh*t that year under Willie.  

For the record I was on the “keep Willie” bandwagon until the bitter end but he treated Russian rookies differently from his North American rookies. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I made a Russian omelette for breakfast this morning. It has as much chance of playing for the Canucks as Tryamkin does. 

I want to think differently, but his comments on teams being prejudiced against Russians don't leavee with a warm, fuzzy feeling.  I don't think we'll ever see him in can again, and possibly not the NHL.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I want to think differently, but his comments on teams being prejudiced against Russians don't leavee with a warm, fuzzy feeling.  I don't think we'll ever see him in can again, and possibly not the NHL.

yeah thats a lame copout I was hoping not to hear from him. He's the one that needs to adapt to the NHL not the other way around. Usually its guys that score a lot and not want to get too physical that say that line, not a defenceman who needs to play hard minutes. 

Is he even improving? he's not exactly blowing the doors off the KHL this year, statistically at least he's taken a step back from last year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Willie absolutely had a negative Russian bias. I said this a year ago in this thread but what other young forward would get benched immediately after scoring a breakaway goal  like Goldy did after his first goal with us.  

Tryamkin’s ice time distribution was absolute horse sh*t that year under Willie.  

For the record I was on the “keep Willie” bandwagon until the bitter end but he treated Russian rookies differently from his North American rookies. 

He got 'benched' because it was late in the game and he was trying to win. Pretty much any coach in the league is going to play his better defensive/2 way players in that situation. That's not Goldy.

How this is even still a critique is beyond me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Gudbranson's got two more years after this one. He's here for at least for the year in question of Tryamkin's potential return. 

And yes, I certainly see Edler's TOI reducing as Hughes, Juolevi etc acclimate. Still leaves NT likely in a 3rd pairing role as we've both noted and even with more spread out minutes, that's still likely only in the 17-18 minute range until injuries hit. Not sure that flies with the big guy.

Good points but perhaps he'd be happy playing 18ish minutes every game instead of on a rotation where he sits occasional games?