The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Hockey wise Tryamkin's decission to play in the KHL was not good. He's now 24 and just like every other prospect should be developing his game, he's no different than the other prospects in that way. He's now played 2 year in an inferior league and still has a further year to go. In another season after this he's going to be 26 and mostly played in an inferior league, IMO that doesn't help him. He made what seems like a rash choice. If he's serious he should be in NA in the summers training, I'd think. Really a shame and  what could he be in the future. Maybe he's not getting the advise he should be getting

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats a lame copout I was hoping not to hear from him. He's the one that needs to adapt to the NHL not the other way around. Usually its guys that score a lot and not want to get too physical that say that line, not a defenceman who needs to play hard minutes. 

Is he even improving? he's not exactly blowing the doors off the KHL this year, statistically at least he's taken a step back from last year. 

it's too bad, that was a tantalizing carrot to dangle in front of fans

Guys, we all get impatient.  

Tryamkin decided to sign a three year deal in the KHL.  The fact that we may have one or (I hope) two good rookie defensemen coming on the team next year is great news.  I don't see Nik breaking a contract that he signed, so we'll see what the situation is for 2020-21. 

I hope that we keep both Tanev (contract expires in '20) and Edler (contract expires in '19) but with both of their contracts expiring I don't think we can take both of them as granted for '20-'21. Then we have Hutton and Stecher who are both trending well after a down year last season, but to me Tryamkin would slot in between them on the depth chart.  Tryamkin had the second best +/-  on the Canucks after Tanev in his rookie year.  If you don't like those numbers go ahead and look at the possession stats and they will paint an even rosier picture. 

We are hoping that we get one good d-man out of Hughes, Juolevi or some other young guy that's in the system.  Just a little reality check that any one of them, including Quinn, might come up and not be ready for the big show yet, and that will be okay.  

We clearly will have a spot for Tryamkin because I didn't just list 4+ top notch d-men that are in their early 20s. A team needs 8 capable d-men these days to be a good team because of injuries.  

If Nik had played for us last season and this season we'd be looking at a slightly higher finish --> worst draft pick position in two drafts, therefore consider him as an important piece of Team Tank that's coming back hopefully.  

Teams will be spending 1st overall picks to acquire average defensemen while we'll get ours for free.  Stop harbouring ill will towards a Canucks property, it's foolish and not constructive.  

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys, we all get impatient.  

Tryamkin decided to sign a three year deal in the KHL.  The fact that we may have one or (I hope) two good rookie defensemen coming on the team next year is great news.  I don't see Nik breaking a contract that he signed, so we'll see what the situation is for 2020-21. 

I hope that we keep both Tanev (contract expires in '20) and Edler (contract expires in '19) but with both of their contracts expiring I don't think we can take both of them as granted for '20-'21. Then we have Hutton and Stecher who are both trending well after a down year last season, but to me Tryamkin would slot in between them on the depth chart.  Tryamkin had the second best +/-  on the Canucks after Tanev in his rookie year.  If you don't like those numbers go ahead and look at the possession stats and they will paint an even rosier picture. 

We are hoping that we get one good d-man out of Hughes, Juolevi or some other young guy that's in the system.  Just a little reality check that any one of them, including Quinn, might come up and not be ready for the big show yet, and that will be okay.  

We clearly will have a spot for Tryamkin because I didn't just list 4+ top notch d-men that are in their early 20s. A team needs 8 capable d-men these days to be a good team because of injuries.  

If Nik had played for us last season and this season we'd be looking at a slightly higher finish --> worst draft pick position in two drafts, therefore consider him as an important piece of Team Tank that's coming back hopefully.  

Teams will be spending 1st overall picks to acquire average defensemen while we'll get ours for free.  Stop harbouring ill will towards a Canucks property, it's foolish and not constructive.  

Exactly. Well said.

With our defense being our achilles heel right now. It ain't going to help us washing away a good recruit we'll need for our playoff push in 1 or 2 years.

Especially with our injuries and youth.

Yes he helped Team Tank , never thought of that :P.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Tryamkin ain't coming back. He hated this weed smelling city and all the homeless bums on the street when he went to watch Cirque de Soleil with his wife.

Does he know that Mary Jane is legal in Canada now?

I thought the Soiled Circus was San Fran?!

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2018 at 12:48 PM, vannuck59 said:

Only way he comes back to us is if we over pay 5 mil. would be ball park or he will test free agency. JB totally screwed the pooch on this should have given him 3.5 mil a year for 2 years. Money talks bull $&!#e walks.

And you know this how, exactly?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2018 at 7:09 AM, coastal.view said:

right

there is a whole professional league of very tall players

who are in excellent shape and stay in shape year round

they are professionals

why do you need to manufacture excuses for this guy ?

Lots of first year NHL players have no idea of what condition they are expected to be in to play in the league, in fact, most end up in the minors learning about North American pro hockey expectations in regard to conditioning.  The Pettersson’s of the world are rare exceptions.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lots of first year NHL players have no idea of what condition they are expected to be in to play in the league, in fact, most end up in the minors learning about North American pro hockey expectations in regard to conditioning.  The Pettersson’s of the world are rare exceptions.

My cousin Jamie Huscroft was drafted in '85 by the Devils. What he got from the Devils was a dietary recommendation and some summer workout suggestions. Nothing like today where these kids are working 12 months of the year.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My cousin Jamie Huscroft was drafted in '85 by the Devils. What he got from the Devils was a dietary recommendation and some summer workout suggestions. Nothing like today where these kids are working 12 months of the year.  

Jamie was blessed with some pretty good genetics to go along with his farm boy work ethic and that always helps. I remember watching a few young bucks trying to lay a big hit on Bill Huscroft; Jamie's dad,  when he was playing hockey and they just bounced off of him like bugs hitting a windshield.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Jamie was blessed with some pretty good genetics to go along with his farm boy work ethic and that always helps. I remember watching a few young bucks trying to lay a big hit on Bill Huscroft; Jamie's dad,  when he was playing hockey and they just bounced off of him like bugs hitting a windshield.

You never told me what commercial hockey team you played for???? 

I played a little hockey with Bill. His Dad, Charles, loved hockey and would gather all the kids up in Lister to play. Rules were no raisees!. My mother remembered the fateful day when Charles was hit in the forehead with a puck. 'He was flat on the ice with blood spurting out of his wound'. He finally got up, mad, and took his puck home yelling all the way!

Bucyk told me that Bill could have played NHL hockey if he had, had, the opportunity. He was massive with a huge wingspan. You might remember Jamie playing Junior B and the comments that he would never make it in hockey. 

Long ago now, my friend. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I played a little hockey with Bill. His Dad, Charles, loved hockey and would gather all the kids up in Lister to play. Rules were no raisees!. My mother remembered the fateful day when Charles was hit in the forehead with a puck. 'He was flat on the ice with blood spurting out of his wound'. He finally got up, mad, and took his puck home yelling all the way!

Bucyk told me that Bill could have played NHL hockey if he had, had, the opportunity. He was massive with a huge wingspan. You might remember Jamie playing Junior B and the comments that he would never make it in hockey. 

Long ago now, my friend. 

Vaguely remember watching your cousin play..was it Flames, Leafs? Handsome kid with a moustache, wasn't he?

I wonder if Tryamkin is paying close attention to how the Canucks are handling Goldobin. I thought he would come back for sure, but now I'm not sure. With Hughes and Juoelvi coming up next year, and I'm guessing they'll re-sign Edler, there may not be a spot for him, especially if he's not up to NHL speed. Tryamkin has a new hot wife who wanted to be back home in Russia. My guess is he stays where his wife wants him to.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I didn't play in the commercial league but was a fan and had a lot of players on the Lister team that I cheered for. L. Phillips and B. Meekes come to mind as well as many others. Not sure if I have you pegged right but didn't you play for the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA back in the early 70's?

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Vaguely remember watching your cousin play..was it Flames, Leafs? Handsome kid with a moustache, wasn't he?

Jamie played for a lot of teams as a player. Think he started out with NJ. moved on to Boston, Tampa, Phoenix, Washington, Calgary and even for the Canucks for a couple of seasons.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I didn't play in the commercial league but was a fan and had a lot of players on the Lister team that I cheered for. L. Phillips and B. Meekes come to mind as well as many others. Not sure if I have you pegged right but didn't you play for the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA back in the early 70's?

Nope! That was my sister but I can see why you got confused. Bernie and Lloyd are still here. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Nope! That was my sister but I can see why you got confused. Bernie and Lloyd are still here. 

My uncle still lives in Creston but spends the winters in Yuma AZ. Moved to Lister in 1970 from the coast and ran a dairy farm there.

Lol ... still confused..... what is your relation to "big daddy"?

40 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My uncle still lives in Creston but spends the winters in Yuma AZ. Moved to Lister in 1970 from the coast and ran a dairy farm there.

Lol ... still confused..... what is your relation to "big daddy"?

This is killing me! I could name off most of the dairies in Lister in the early '70's since I did business with almost all of them. My memory for names has always been brutal. Big Daddy is my cousin. Give me another clue.....  

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This is killing me! I could name off most of the dairies in Lister in the early '70's since I did business with almost all of them. My memory for names has always been brutal. Big Daddy is my cousin. Give me another clue.....  

Uncle Phillip..... Ella's old dairy farm...... Bert is that you ?

Edited by Kootenay Gold