The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes, it is easy to point fingers at Willie’s competence, he has even managed to get LA into second last place - which is kind of consistent with his record with the Canucks.

In the same 33 game schedule.

Green this season 13 - 15 - 5

WD this season  14- 17 - 2

Willie of course did not have the elite presence of EP40 :P

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Slegr said:

Willie was horrible with rookies and ice time. Tryamkin was one our best defenseman that year and was often getting 3rd pair minutes. Had it been TG coaching that year, Tryamkin would have got a lot more ice time. It's no coincidence Willie isn't with us anymore.

You need to check your facts. WD brought on a lot of rookies while here. Part of the problem was some were not ready. Ironic that you say that in a Tryamkin thread because WD sent a player back to Russia who was able to dominate in that league. Idiots will always see what they want to see.

39 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You need to check your facts. WD brought on a lot of rookies while here. Part of the problem was some were not ready. Ironic that you say that in a Tryamkin thread because WD sent a player back to Russia who was able to dominate in that league. Idiots will always see what they want to see.

Tryamkin averaged a shade over 16 TOI per game in his rookie year. He might have wanted more TOI as a 3 year KHL vet but that usually doesn't carry any weight in the NHL. Tryamkin has his own ideas of how he should play which did not jive totally with his coaching. 

The interview has Tryamkin being a tad more reflective and tempered in his view of time spent with the Canucks. His comments about the anti-Russian attitude in Vancouver is pretty glossed over. He said, multiple times while in Vancouver, that Russian players had to be 'better than others' to get TOI. That might have been a pressure tactic on his part to influence coaching but to suggest he never said this is not accurate.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Tryamkin averaged a shade over 16 TOI per game in his rookie year. He might have wanted more TOI as a 3 year KHL vet but that usually doesn't carry any weight in the NHL. Tryamkin has his own ideas of how he should play which did not jive totally with his coaching. 

The interview has Tryamkin being a tad more reflective and tempered in his view of time spent with the Canucks. His comments about the anti-Russian attitude in Vancouver is pretty glossed over. He said, multiple times while in Vancouver, that Russian players had to be 'better than others' to get TOI. That might have been a pressure tactic on his part to influence coaching but to suggest he never said this is not accurate.  

I loved Tryamkin (even tipped him as a future Canucks captain) and thought he was coming along really well. I was a bit surprised when he said he wasn't coming back but when I heard a lot was to do with his new bride well that was out of the Canucks purview.

What disappointed me more was how he failed to give credit to the Vancouver coaches for the glaringly obvious progress he made both in development AND conditioning. He went home 3 times the player he was when he arrived - just a season and a bit earlier.

He goes on about language but seemed to fail to understand it cut two ways. Passing on coaching through a 3rd party is hardly ideal.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

No he didn't. He earned what he got and no more. I already published the stats.

Weren't you the one who was endlessly defending Vrbata the one year he checked out because he didn't get to play on the twins line anymore?

17 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Weren't you the one who was endlessly defending Vrbata the one year he checked out because he didn't get to play on the twins line anymore?

No. But if I was, where is the connection? 

I defended him because he was a very good player and he took unfair stick on here for saying words to the effect that it was hard to play with prospects who were not really ready for the NHL. He also could have added but didn't, that it was not easy when your team had to rely on so many AHL players.

Come to think of it was playing with the twins not a "promise" made to him to induce him to sign? If he was promised that, he should not have been because it handicapped the coach.

Edited by alfstonker

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

No he didn't. He earned what he got and no more. I already published the stats.

No he was our 3rd best dman: Edler, Tanev, Tryamkin. That does not give you 3rd pairing minutes I am sorry. Tryamkin had clearly understood what it took to transition to the NHL, and did very well, and was stuck playing lower minutes than any other dman. He was playing barely above Larsen, and under Hutton, Stetcher, Sbisa, and Gudbranson. At that point in time Try was playing miles ahead of all of them (I do know Guddy was limited to 30 games and Larsen got Hall'ed) but it was some very bad coaching.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes, it is easy to point fingers at Willie’s competence, he has even managed to get LA into second last place - which is kind of consistent with his record with the Canucks.

Weren't they in last place before he arrived? That doesn't really strike me as an issue with the coach but more with the team itself.

Like you said, easy to point fingers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

There was a large interview with Tryamkin recently (Jan 10): https://realnoevremya.ru/articles/125416-intervyu-s-nikitoy-tryamkinym

Most questions were about the Avto successful season in the KHL, I am going to translate some related to Canucks (nothing new were actually said except that Tryamkin indirectly admitted that this was tough year for his wife in Vancouver):

Q: You have returned to the KHL after getting permanent position with Vancouver. Why? Was not sure if Vancouver would need you?

A: Perhaps mostly that was desire to play hockey, get more ice time. I wanted to play more - that was the main reason. Some people say that I run away or was dismissed by the team. No, I was offered 2-year contract. But I returned because I wanted to play more hockey. And I returned to my home team.

Q: But you played about 16 minutes in Vancouver. Was not that good enough?

A: This is quite mediocre time, first of all. I was not satisfied. I don't want to go deep in the past but this was my decision at that time - return to play hockey.

Q: Did some financial consideration play role there?

A: No. Trust me, I did not win financially by going back. Almost the same financial situation.

Q: You told about your family among other reasons. Did you wife want to go home?

A: My wife always supports me. She is always with me whatever decision I make. Homesickness is always felt, especially in the first year. If we stay longer (in Vancouver), this would be easier down the road perhaps. If we talk about the NHL now, this would be completely different story.

Q: You have a little more than year remaining in your contract. Do you think about your future - stay in the KHL or return to the NHL?

A: I don't even know what is going to happen tomorrow. 1.5 year is quite a long period of time. That is why I believe there is no point right now to discuss my preferences and desire. We will see when the contract is over.

Q: In one of his interview Andrey Pedan said that he was frustrated when it took him so long to get to the NHL through the AHL but Tryamkin came and started playing right away.

A: I don't think this complaint should be directed at me. I agree with Andrey, this was frustrating for him that I came (to the NHL) and got ice time four games later. Two defencemen got injured at that time. Otherwise my debut could be postponed for couple more games. Again I understand Andrey. Perhaps he should talk to the coach.

Q: What do you think about the common opinion that Russian players are getting special treatment in Vancouver? This club is called almost anti-Russian.

A: I don't think that this is some sort of anti-Russian team. Bure and Larionov did not have problem while playing there. They both have had excellent careers. Kolya Goldobin is playing pretty good in the top 6 right now. Regarding me, this could go differently if I played more. But what happened, happened and I don't see anything bad about this.

Thanks for this Stierlitz!

Theres nothing wrong with a player wanting to play more, nothing.. it shows his drive to be the best he can be.

Im sure Nik felt far more comfortable realigning with his x-KHL club to be able to get what he needed to accomplish his goals.

It was not about money.

His wife supports him, fully.

Interesting Quote :

” Homesickness is always felt, especially in the first year. If we stay longer (in Vancouver), this would be easier down the road perhaps. If we talk about the NHL now, this would be completely different story.”

.. this sounds like someone ready to return if given the opportunity.

Interesting Quote:

“  I don't even know what is going to happen tomorrow. 1.5 year is quite a long period of time. That is why I believe there is no point right now to discuss my preferences and desire. We will see when the contract is over.”

... and we know contracts in that contracts CAN be bought out in the KHL after a season of play ends.

.. and ...   “1.5 year is a long period of time”    

.. hopefully there is a sense of anxiousness in that.

• Cheers 1

"A: No. Trust me, I did not win financially by going back. Almost the same financial situation."

I think he took a huge hometown discount, because he's loyal to his hometown. I think he'd double his income signing here.

If Atvo wins the championship I think a buyout is possible if not I think he'll honor the last year of his contract..

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

No he was our 3rd best dman: Edler, Tanev, Tryamkin. That does not give you 3rd pairing minutes I am sorry. Tryamkin had clearly understood what it took to transition to the NHL, and did very well, and was stuck playing lower minutes than any other dman. He was playing barely above Larsen, and under Hutton, Stetcher, Sbisa, and Gudbranson. At that point in time Try was playing miles ahead of all of them (I do know Guddy was limited to 30 games and Larsen got Hall'ed) but it was some very bad coaching.

I think you are hallucinating.

He was not better than Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Sbisa and in some cats behind  Biega AND Larsen. In the eyes of most coaches I doubt he becomes 3rd D by a long shot.

Among all defensemen.

He was 5th in DPS. 

He was 6th in PS.

He was 5th in shots blocked.

He was 1st in hits.*

He was 6th in Takeaways

He was 5th in Giveaways*

He was 5th in SAtt

He was 7th in Thru%

He was 5th in CF%

He was 6th in CF% rel

He was 4th in +/-

* good.

By the way it should be remembered that the KHL is a league where Philip Larsen gets 24+mins a night and scores 23 points.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think you are hallucinating.

He was not better than Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stecher, Sbisa and in some cats behind  Biega AND Larsen. In the eyes of most coaches I doubt he becomes 3rd D by a long shot.

Among all defensemen.

He was 5th in DPS. 

He was 6th in PS.

He was 5th in shots blocked.

He was 1st in hits.*

He was 6th in Takeaways

He was 5th in Giveaways*

He was 5th in SAtt

He was 7th in Thru%

He was 5th in CF%

He was 6th in CF% rel

He was 4th in +/-

* good.

By the way it should be remembered that the KHL is a league where Philip Larsen gets 24+mins a night and scores 23 points.

I never said he was better than Edler or Tanev, I said he was 3rd behind them. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Well you are talking bollocks as I have just demonstrated.

As I said, he was where he deserved to be. 

Don't rely to heavily on stats. He was visibly better than most of our D and it was evident he was improving quickly. Doesn't change the fact that the attitude wasn't great though. I hope he comes back though but until then I am not paying much attention to it.