The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

11 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

not arguing any of that. 

however :

1. we have first hand experience with "allstar" KHL players who don't cut it here. 

2. Biega is a perfect (and most likely perfectly happy) 7/8 D next year. 

Pouliot should be gone or further down the trough next year.. 

MDZ and Gud are already gone (just a heads up) 

All of which proves my point - which is that since JB may need to make a big splash to continue his tenure here and since he has already said that D will be addressed and since we have QH & OJ almost certainly moving up next year... I'm not sure there will be room for him. especially since he's been & gone once, and nobody really knows how it will go next time.. if there is a next time.. 

Who knows what JB will do on draft day or in the UFA realm to make that big splash.. for my part, I hope that NT coming back is part of it - I just gotta know what he's become in the last few years

Every year we draft prospects......high ones  and every year we run the risk of them never turning out...never getting a NHL game

In QH and OJ, we have absolutely no idea where their ceiling will actually be...we only have educated guesses....

no difference than Tryamkin really, except we absolutely know he had the skill to play a season in the NHL as a rookie...……..

We need him back to prove that he is better than we thought, or better than anyone else...…...ultimately we need him to prove himself one way or the other

we need to give him the chance first

And if by some far out chance he is better than everyone else, well I guess you trade someone else...that is the way it is done

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

All of which proves my point - which is that since JB may need to make a big splash to continue his tenure here and since he has already said that D will be addressed and since we have QH & OJ almost certainly moving up next year... I'm not sure there will be room for him. especially since he's been & gone once, and nobody really knows how it will go next time.. if there is a next time.. 

Who knows what JB will do on draft day or in the UFA realm to make that big splash.. for my part, I hope that NT coming back is part of it - I just gotta know what he's become in the last few years

I think the play of our young players next year will do justice to Benning's work so far.

Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Demko will be on the team next year with guys like MacEwen, Juolevi, Sautner and Brisebois knocking on the door for spots. 

Add in continued growth of other prospects such as Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, Madden and DiPietro and we are looking pretty good.

Im hoping Benning doesn't do too much in free agency this offseason and that he's able to sign another prospect or 2 such as Sturm and Kaski. Go with a young skilled lineup next year. 

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser      

Pearson-Horvat-Goldy/Virtanen

UFA/Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen   

Roussel-Beagle-Motte      

Notes: Baertschi done due to concussions (really sucks), I think the Canucks will give Goldy one more shot the first month of next season (if not he'll be traded this offseason), Granlund traded or resigned but waived, Schaller traded/waived, Spooner traded/waived. I don't know what will happen with Eriksson but I think Benning will do something with him (or wait and try to dump him to Seattle. Resign/waive Schenn

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Myers

Sautner-Kaski/Biega

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Are you trolling? You think you know more than anyone else on here? You call people jerks cuz they think you are wrong?

Grow up.

Edit: anyway...back to tryamkin. If he comes back as a 3rd pairing guy thats ok. But if he doesn't no big deal....trade his rights for a 3rd.

Trying to cover both cheeks of your butt here with less than a speedo Chet.

You haven’t watched Tryamkin play for 2 years and you have nothing to contribute but a negative opinion that you came up with from that same time.

How does that work?

Sorry but your Big City Bluffing put you up for the Hockey Baffoon of the Year Award..

..  in layman’s terms of your own garb. “Tryamkins not that good but you’d be happy to have him here cause he’s big”

Is that all you’ve got?

Save yourself some embarrassment Chet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

not arguing any of that. 

however :

1. we have first hand experience with "allstar" KHL players who don't cut it here. 

2. Biega is a perfect (and most likely perfectly happy) 7/8 D next year. 

Pouliot should be gone or further down the trough next year.. 

MDZ and Gud are already gone (just a heads up) 

1. This KHL player has already cut it here/in the NHL.  His 60 something games is a large sample size.  

2. To further continue this list, Hutton has regressed quite a bit in the last two years and we can only expect about 40-50 games out of either Edler or Tanev.  We shouldn't even count them as two roster spots taken due to their penchant for getting injured. 

I'm not seeing much past Stecher and a rookie that's never played an NHL game as far as our D depth goes for next year. I'm loving Biega as our 6th d-man btw, the guy's an inspiration with his hard work. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that if he gets knocked in this , (Atvo's 2nd round) Try may have seen enough. His forwards are all bailing on him (Atvo) and disappeared and not scoring like they did all year. I'm sure he can come up with the sub 1 million to buy himself out. 

I think it's about time for him to think of his family and be a bit selfish and sign for bigger money here, hockey careers are only so long.

A show me contract here would easily triple his salary and a bonafide longer term bridge deal could easily be 5X what he makes now. 

Atvo was supposed to do well this year and are one game from elimination. Not sure if Try wants to wait for another rebuild there being one of 8 rotating D men.

My hunch is he might move on because Atvo can use his salary money to get a bigger scoring winger. Their forwards are to small and getting run out by the bigger Salavat team.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. This KHL player has already cut it here/in the NHL.  His 60 something games is a large sample size.  

2. To further continue this list, Hutton has regressed quite a bit in the last two years and we can only expect about 40-50 games out of either Edler or Tanev.  We shouldn't even count them as two roster spots taken due to their penchant for getting injured. 

I'm not seeing much past Stecher and a rookie that's never played an NHL game as far as our D depth goes for next year. I'm loving Biega as our 6th d-man btw, the guy's an inspiration with his hard work. 

hmmm.. you make a really good point about Edler & Tanev. it's a shame they can't stay healthy because no matter how solid they might be, it forces us to plug at least one hole pretty much all year, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the first pairing. 

I completely disagree on Hutton. last year he was awful, but this year he has turned it around. He & Stetcher have proven their worth this year. I don't mind them as a third pairing at all. 

Tryamkin did show well here and it would be silly to assume his skills have diminished. If we assume his conditioning is on par, then it comes down to attitude and $. That would be easily handled by JB, not my worry. In that light, it's easy to see how he could slot in the top 6, no questions asked.. 

The other side of it all is how much room do we have. Naturally, this depends on how JB 'addresses the defense' this offseason. 

Without any moves we have Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stetcher, Pouliot & Biega. Coming up soon there's Hughes, OJ, & Sautner seems decent. We can only hope Pouliot disappears, and if Biega & Sautner are kept as 7 & 8, that leaves 6 good players for 6 spots. That's without any big additions, and assuming QH & OJ make the team next season. 

I suppose the bottom line is this: the defense might be fine as is next season until, as you pointed out, Edler & Tanev go down. When (not if)  that happens, big Nik would go a long way to solving that problem, and we wouldn't have to trade anything to have him. 

People worry about Tryamkin coming back and there being no room for him, which Benning has address many times with other prospects, as they come of age and come to training camp. Benning has stated that if a player comes to camp and there is no room, but the player out plays the others than he will move someone to make room. This is exactly what happens on every team, and is part of a healthy team. 

Tryamkin, like Hughes has the ability to play both sides, and with our defense being so soft this last year, Benning needs to rebuild the defense completely, not only in skill but in size and durability, because there needs to be consistency so that the transition game can be worked on with their forwards. Nothing worst than having different players moving the puck to you every game....(it is about pace/position/quickness/tendencies, timing and accuracy) things that are done with repetitive work. It is not only the defense giving the first pass, but the forwards taking the first pass, and how they read the defensemen just before they give it.

Having players that are consistently injured, disrupts that flow. It also disrupts the forwards defensive reads, as if the defensemen are continually changing, and are slow because of injury, timing is completely disrupted. When players are in and out of a line up continually, nothing gets developed to a high level of competency, as it could if they were working with the same guys over and over.

I have often wondered, because Edler and Tanev, what our +/- for defensive positions #1 and #2 are for the season, compared with other teams, and how that has worked for, or against us over the season.....this is different than the +/- of the players, which is based on the individual. +/- for the position means, what happens to the starting left Dman spot during all games throughout the season, when Edler is there and when he is not. So what is Edlers/Huttons/MDZ +/- for when starting at left defense, when they are put into that slot, and not when they are in their own slot on the second or third pairings.  

If it is always your #1 and #2 defensemen being injured, this severally undermines that slot. Because both Tanev and Edler have such an injury history over the years, and because they are injured in different ways, it is important to understand the differences....can't remember Edler ever being hurt from blocking a shot, and with Tanev, it is his main way of injury. 

So how this all plays out in the Tryamkin thread is that Tanev needs to be replaced, the story is repetitive and disrupting, having a new player play there is needed, and Tryamkin could play there, and or Tryamkin could allow for other movements, that would allow for another player top play there.

Tryamkin is an asset that needs to be brought back. IMO, Tryamkin allows for a great many things, either on the Canucks or once being in the fold, being traded for what we do not have. But first off, we need to get him back and playing. Having Canuck Fandom talking trash, and not being supportive causes ripples, and sends the wrong message to management and tp Tryamkin, by the stupid questions ask through the media. Our message should be that we understand it is difficult acquiring talent, and we support any efforts to acquire talent. (Including Tryamkin)

Tryamkin is a wrecking ball on skates, who also has other very nice talents...could we not use them?

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

I have no idea if he's intending or even able to buy it his contract, but I do worry if he doesn't come back next season, it might be too late.

first of all, it's another year of unknown development in the K, which we can all speculate on , but nobody really knows how his developed game will translate to the NHL.. 

secondly, JB needs to make moves with some quality new core D this offseason, not only to progress the team but to save his back bacon.. there's a chance there won't be any desperate need for him like there is now. 

I hear what you're saying about his development in the K. But we have seen players come back over in their later years and have success. Sobotka and Radulov are doing well. Kovalchuk I haven't followed too much this year, but last I looked he wasn't lighting the world on fire...but I mean the guy is 35 now. I think in any case if he wants to come back then we at least have to give it a try and see where his game is at. But who knows, maybe he wants a longer term contract? I'd be leary giving him anything more than 2-3 years at the moment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that if he gets knocked in this , (Atvo's 2nd round) Try may have seen enough. His forwards are all bailing on him (Atvo) and disappeared and not scoring like they did all year. I'm sure he can come up with the sub 1 million to buy himself out. 

I think it's about time for him to think of his family and be a bit selfish and sign for bigger money here, hockey careers are only so long.

A show me contract here would easily triple his salary and a bonafide longer term bridge deal could easily be 5X what he makes now. 

Atvo was supposed to do well this year and are one game from elimination. Not sure if Try wants to wait for another rebuild there being one of 8 rotating D men.

My hunch is he might move on because Atvo can use his salary money to get a bigger scoring winger. Their forwards are to small and getting run out by the bigger Salavat team.

I would love it if he broke out of his contract and came here earlier. You could be right, his team this year has been a weird one with all the cast of players rotating in and out of the line up. By all accounts that i've seen and heard he is their top dman on the team but he's even taking a back seat to this weird roster shuffle show they got going on there? I wouldn't be amused either.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

hmmm.. you make a really good point about Edler & Tanev. it's a shame they can't stay healthy because no matter how solid they might be, it forces us to plug at least one hole pretty much all year, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the first pairing. 

I completely disagree on Hutton. last year he was awful, but this year he has turned it around. He & Stetcher have proven their worth this year. I don't mind them as a third pairing at all. 

Tryamkin did show well here and it would be silly to assume his skills have diminished. If we assume his conditioning is on par, then it comes down to attitude and $. That would be easily handled by JB, not my worry. In that light, it's easy to see how he could slot in the top 6, no questions asked.. 

The other side of it all is how much room do we have. Naturally, this depends on how JB 'addresses the defense' this offseason. 

Without any moves we have Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Stetcher, Pouliot & Biega. Coming up soon there's Hughes, OJ, & Sautner seems decent. We can only hope Pouliot disappears, and if Biega & Sautner are kept as 7 & 8, that leaves 6 good players for 6 spots. That's without any big additions, and assuming QH & OJ make the team next season. 

I suppose the bottom line is this: the defense might be fine as is next season until, as you pointed out, Edler & Tanev go down. When (not if)  that happens, big Nik would go a long way to solving that problem, and we wouldn't have to trade anything to have him. 

I'm all for trading Tanev and Hutton, I think those are the 2 we can afford to lose. Pouliot is a gonner, and probably just won't be re-signed. But Edler i'd like to retain for another 2 seasons (not 3 so we don't have to protect him come the expansion draft). Even tho Edler has only played 48 games this year, he has 28 points. That's amazing production from any defensemen. And our PP didn't look great with Hutty or Stecher running the 1st unit while he was down. Now that Edler is back, the team is winning again, and our PP is scoring. I don't think it's by coincidence. 

Edit: I'll also state i've really been a fan of Huttons this year his game has really come back again. But...you know...gotta sell high sometimes!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I just want to add that for me being as Pro-Tryamkin as I am...…….if it comes out that he actually doesn't want to come back, then that is fine, and we don't want him.....

It is a sport of commitment, and if he is not 100% in, then he is 100% out...…….that is his decision

but if he says he is in, then it is up to Benning to make that happen. Regardless if he is under contract or not...

There are ways!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Avto losing 3-0 in the 2nd on the verge of being knocked out. Salavat with too much forecheck. Their big forwards are all into going to the crease, too much for Avto to handle.

Avto reduced to trying to get penalties from the refs. The goalie Kovar dived and cost them the 3rd goal. Not sure why Tryamkin isn't on PP 1 or PP2, when he scored last game.

Not looking good for Avto, kinda a melt down. They cruised through the last part of their season (won the Presidents trophy sorta with lots of points).

But they are out of sync being out hustled and can't handle the physical Salavat pressure. 

Their best goalie Kovar laying there on the ice watching the play gets scored on looked like he quit on the play. 

Dawes is captain but he isn't doing much leading here. All these are ingredients for Tryamkin to have had enough. He's going to have tough sledding next year if he stays because there will have to be a shake up to address this absolute loss of compete level. To be honest Salavat is out coaching Avto too. Great neutral zone attack, pressure on the puck, and closing in quickly on Avto's puck carriers. 

Heading into the 3rd 3-0, Avto looks beaten and ready to golf. Do they golf there?

If they crap the bed the way you've described, theyll probably be teeing off at the Siberian Open

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Avto losing 3-0 in the 2nd on the verge of being knocked out. Salavat Yulaev with too much forecheck. Their big forwards are all into going to the crease, too much for Avto to handle.

Avto reduced to trying to get penalties from the refs. The goalie Kovar dived and cost them the 3rd goal. ex-Bruin #23 Kampinean a big forward for Salavat shed a hit on the boards continued to the net Kovar was bumped and then just layed there for Kampinean's easy wrap around. And not sure why Tryamkin isn't on PP 1 or PP2, when he scored last game.

Not looking good for Avto, kinda a melt down. They cruised through the last part of their season (won the Presidents trophy sorta with lots of points).

But they are out of sync being out hustled and can't handle the physical Salavat pressure. 

Their best goalie Kovar laying there on the ice watching the play gets scored on looked like he quit on the play. 

Dawes is captain but he isn't doing much leading here. All these are ingredients for Tryamkin to have had enough. He's going to have tough sledding next year if he stays because there will have to be a shake up to address this absolute loss of compete level. To be honest Salavat is out coaching Avto too. Great neutral zone attack, pressure on the puck, and closing in quickly on Avto's puck carriers. 

Heading into the 3rd 3-0, Avto looks beaten and ready to golf. Do they golf there?

#23 Kempannein with another goal early in the 3rd 4-0. From big forward ex-Oiler  #70 Hartikaanen from behind the net. To big too compete.

Sounds like possibly the “Putin Flu” in this one.

Hope your right about Nik possibly being fed up after this season in the K.

I think in our wildest dreams Nik would appear in Vancouver next week..   but like you say Hairy,  maybe it’s all been an eye opener for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sounds like possibly the “Putin Flu” in this one.

Hope your right about Nik possibly being fed up after this season in the K.

I think in our wildest dreams Nik would appear in Vancouver next week..   but like you say Hairy,  maybe it’s all been an eye opener for him.

I remember watching some of the games where Nik was sat out, and he wasn't in the locker room waiting in his civies. Nik skipped those post game hi fives. 

Not sure if I'm reading too much into it but kinda felt like he might not be happy with their 8 man rotation?

Anyways Avto loses 4-1 and gets knocked out of the playoffs. If Try wants to come over now is the time. He could collect 2 checks for the same year, one in each league.

We all know he hates losing,  so he has some serious soul searching to do by this weekend. IF he makes a move, honestly, I don't think his hometown could blame him. He helped set them up for a hundred point season and a supposed serious run at the post season. I think they're going to blow up this group of forwards. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That would be true loyalty to his hometown if that's true.

Especially after this tire fire of a series losing to Salavat Yulaev.

hasn't Nik always said he'll 'honour his contract'? not sure why he'd change that now. 

• Upvote 1