The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hasn't Nik always said he'll 'honour his contract'? not sure why he'd change that now. 

Yes he has, but IF he decides to leave,  this weekend,  IMO would be the time to make that decision.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I remember watching some of the games where Nik was sat out, and he wasn't in the locker room waiting in his civies. Nik skipped those post game hi fives. 

Not sure if I'm reading too much into it but kinda felt like he might not be happy with their 8 man rotation?

Anyways Avto loses 4-1 and gets knocked out of the playoffs. If Try wants to come over now is the time. He could collect 2 checks for the same year, one in each league.

We all know he hates losing,  so he has some serious soul searching to do by this weekend. IF he makes a move, honestly, I don't think his hometown could blame him. He helped set them up for a hundred point season and a supposed serious run at the post season. I think they're going to blow up this group of forwards. 

Hopefully the North American boys in his room are supportive and are telling him to get his ass over here.

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes he has, but IF he decides to leave this weekend IMO would be the time.

I guess it depends on if there's been any discussion at all with Benning and Nik's agent, I'm more curious to hear about that. My $ is on no contact at all but we'll see, should be interesting. 

There's certainly a job opening for Nik if he does want to come back. And no Willie. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hopefully the North American boys in his room are supportive and are telling him to get his ass over here.

And his wife and family. Why not? Better pay and with TG less politics.

When JB phones to send his regards, a bottle of cognac, and regrets about them  losing and getting knocked out of the playoffs ...maybe he'll hear something in Nik's voice that says 'yes I'm ready to come back'.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And his wife and family. Why not? Better pay and with TG less politics.

Absolutely.

Just feels like he has outgrown the KHL.    Hope he realizes that, and his agent helps him see that.

Hopefully we here from his agent that Nik is considering all of his options at this point or in the near future.. and the Canucks are in touch.

But if Nik is generally unhappy, I agree the time to return could never be better with the Canucks D core right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I just hope we find out in his agent's interview, this afternoon, what his plans are, if there's any chance of him coming back for next year.

Don't hold your breath.  I don't see him leaving Russia, ever.  He seems pretty content there and doesn't seem to have that internal drive to play against the best in the world.  Hard to come down on a guy for wanting to play at home.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't hold your breath.  I don't see him leaving Russia, ever.  He seems pretty content there and doesn't seem to have that internal drive to play against the best in the world.  Hard to come down on a guy for wanting to play at home.

Odds are he resigns with his KHL team with a pay raise and maybe the captaincy. I am hoping he does not re-up early so that Benning can set a date for next year. If Tryamkin does not give an indication of interest Benning can try to move him to another NHL team. IMHO his skills are good enough to still make the Canucks but I do question potential off ice issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Avto losing 3-0 in the 2nd on the verge of being knocked out. Salavat Yulaev with too much forecheck. Their big forwards are all into going to the crease, too much for Avto to handle.

Avto reduced to trying to get penalties from the refs. The goalie Kovar dived and cost them the 3rd goal. ex-Bruin #23 Kampinean a big forward for Salavat shed a hit on the boards continued to the net Kovar was bumped and then just layed there for Kampinean's easy wrap around. And not sure why Tryamkin isn't on PP 1 or PP2, when he scored last game.

Not looking good for Avto, kinda a melt down. They cruised through the last part of their season (won the Presidents trophy sorta with lots of points).

But they are out of sync being out hustled and can't handle the physical Salavat pressure. 

Their best goalie Kovar laying there on the ice watching the play gets scored on looked like he quit on the play. 

Dawes is captain but he isn't doing much leading here. All these are ingredients for Tryamkin to have had enough. He's going to have tough sledding next year if he stays because there will have to be a shake up to address this absolute loss of compete level. To be honest Salavat is out coaching Avto too. Great neutral zone attack, pressure on the puck, and closing in quickly on Avto's puck carriers. 

Heading into the 3rd 3-0, Avto looks beaten and ready to golf. Do they golf there?

#23 Kempannein with another goal early in the 3rd 4-0. From big forward ex-Oiler  #70 Hartikaanen from behind the net. To big - too compete.

Philip Larsen gets beat for Avto's first goal still 4-1 Salavat, this is pretty much over.

Late in the game my favorite move from Try, he was tied up with a forward along the boards and Tryamkin pushed the guy who was on one knee, about 10 feet like a sled to get the puck from underneath the guy.

4-1 final

Atvo's out.

HAHA....I googled "russians golfing" and look what came up....:lol:

...sorry back to Tryamkin, this has really got me thinking there is a decent chance at him coming back next year! Thanks for all the info.

russians golfing.jpg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Todd Diamond (Tryamkin's agent) on Sportsnet 650:

"Nikita had a solid season, the team in Russia performed extremely well in the KHL. His numbers were down, but his games shouldn't be defined by goals and assists."

"I don't think he struggled. His ice time was a minute less than it was last year, but it was a deeper team. They were trying to accomplish a lot this year."

"We discussed a return to the NHL not too recently. I believe there is interest for him to come back. He wasn't as mature as he is now. Hopefully, he will come back to the NHL shortly."

"Nikita has a year remaining on his KHL contract, so a return this offseason would be hasty. However, Benning is in contact every few weeks/months."

"Nikita can bring a dimension that many NHL clubs are missing. A mobile defenseman who can intimidate and open space. He can make a number 1 defenseman's job a lot easier."

"The player has improved, I don't think the condition that he will not play in the AHL has changed. He has shown that he can play at the NHL level. The AHL is not a factor in the conversation."

Any non-NHL player that assumes an NHL slot without question is a player that should be evaluated with caution.   Agent says he "has matured" - clearly, if he isn't willing to accept NHL decision on whether he needs some AHL time or not then he hasn't matured enough to be an NHL player IMHO.

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Todd Diamond (Tryamkin's agent) on Sportsnet 650:

"Nikita had a solid season, the team in Russia performed extremely well in the KHL. His numbers were down, but his games shouldn't be defined by goals and assists."

"I don't think he struggled. His ice time was a minute less than it was last year, but it was a deeper team. They were trying to accomplish a lot this year."

"We discussed a return to the NHL not too recently. I believe there is interest for him to come back. He wasn't as mature as he is now. Hopefully, he will come back to the NHL shortly."

"Nikita has a year remaining on his KHL contract, so a return this offseason would be hasty. However, Benning is in contact every few weeks/months."

"Nikita can bring a dimension that many NHL clubs are missing. A mobile defenseman who can intimidate and open space. He can make a number 1 defenseman's job a lot easier."

"The player has improved, I don't think the condition that he will not play in the AHL has changed. He has shown that he can play at the NHL level. The AHL is not a factor in the conversation."

This !!  Is positive !!

There is conversation, it is pragmatic ..    this IS positive.

“Nikita can bring a dimension that many NHL clubs are missing. A mobile defenseman who can intimidate and open space. He can make a number 1 defenseman's job a lot easier."

that comment is why Tryamkin could be an excellent #2 / #3 D man.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Any non-NHL player that assumes an NHL slot without question is a player that should be evaluated with caution.   Agent says he "has matured" - clearly, if he isn't willing to accept NHL decision on whether he needs some AHL time or not then he hasn't matured enough to be an NHL player IMHO.

Quinn? Pettersen?

Tryamkin has played in the NHL before..  proven.  Offered another contract here above 2 m per... your not making sense Rob.

still hurt?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Quinn? Pettersen?

Tryamkin has played in the NHL before..  proven.  Offered another contract above 2 m per... your not making sense Rob.

If you are comparing Tryamkin to Hughes or EP40 you have lost me entirely.

Whether he played in the NHL previously or not, he has not for several years and I see a massive issue if he is given a one-way deal ( to protect his income ) but I would never give the guy an assurance of no time in minors.    He had massive holes in his game but was an intriguing prospect with untapped potential.   Some of his holes were defensive coverage and he may need some time with the speed of the NHL game to get back to that level - and AHL is the second fastest league in the world and miles ahead of the KHL in that regard.

To you I am not making sense, to a sane NHL organization I think I am.   

Cheers.   :)

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Whether he played in the NHL previously or not, he has not for several years and I see a massive issue if he is given a one-way deal ( to protect his income ) but I would never give the guy an assurance of no time in minors.    He had massive holes in his game but was an intriguing prospect with untapped potential.   Some of his holes were defensive coverage and he may need some time with the speed of the NHL game to get back to that level - and AHL is the second fastest league in the world and miles ahead of the KHL in that regard.

Needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Therefore play him in the AHL smh. He has played 79 games in the NHL and he's 24 years old. You think the NHL has changed enough in the last 2 years that he forgot how to play?

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I’m not comparing Hughes or Pettersens play to Tryamkins.. but you clearly you have “entitlement” issues with this player..  but you feel Hughes and Pettersen haven’t been offered the same as Tryamkin has been in the past?

You want him to go to the AHL to prove a point that is meaningless..

Tryamkin is an NHL ready player.

He has proved it.. sorry.

Get over your cliche’ick old school hockey program Rob,. there’s holes in your game.

It will be 2020 soon.

Time to catch up.

ps. This NHL Organization signed his contract and with all probability will be signing his next one..

So if your saying the Canucks are somewhat insane to sign him,.  You might want to go over your program.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sorry Rob

I do not think you are right in terms that if he is given a 1 way deal...…...that is a negotiation, and one that is done by Benning and Tryamkin's team. I believe that "IF" Tryamkin does sign, it will because Benning has had scouts watching him and they have confirmed, that in their opinion he is able to play at NHL speed. If that happens than that is a risk they are willing to accept. It is no worst than having MDZ and Pouliot play up because Benning was worried that they would be scooped up during waivers, so even if they did have a 2 way, it acted as a 1 way...……...the fact is, Benning has a much better feel for this, then us. If he feels uneasy, there will be no contract offered. (Gradin, and others probably had a box at Tryamkin's home arena - joke , but seriously, I think it is a non-factor in reality)

And also, with the deepest respect, the KHL's top end is probably higher skilled than the AHL, and the speed issue is a non-factor...….this is 2019 and a lot of Russians, that say don't have the greatest IQ, can still skate fast......At least, the in the U17 and the U20 tourn'ies I have been at, they probably have skated faster than the Canadians as a whole.

I suspect, it will be a 2 year bridge deal, with an out for both teams, which is why I am leaning to a 3.5 Million per,  2 year deal. (if he comes this summer, it will be 4 M, so that they pay him (yeah right - Diamond) back for the buy out.

In the end......it's good to hear from Tryamkin's agent. It does give us info..aka.Jimbo and Nikita talking as much as they did. And that there is more than just an Off chance he comes back.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL. Therefore play him in the AHL smh. He has played 79 games in the NHL and he's 24 years old. You think the NHL has changed enough in the last 2 years that he forgot how to play?

Nope - I think he will have lost his NHL conditioning that we finally got in his last 30 games or so.   I also think the Canucks are a much better team in general than the one he left and gifting a spot to him would be silly.