The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

27 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think in O'Reilly's case, he had an 'opt out' KHL contract ( he was RFA as far as the NHL went ) and then received an offer sheet from the Flames. Colorado matched but could have played hard ball with the waiver factor. As far as being 'too late' in the season to join the team, I'm really not sure. If Teves and Hughes can play with late signings, why not Tryamkin ?

Might be different for Entry Level Deals, all I know is Nylanders drop dead date was in December or he couldn't play this year, so we wait until someone can clarify.

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Well he did miss 16 because he was grossly overweight and out of shape, so there is that.

He wasn't aware that training camp was so short here, because in Russia it's like a month long and that's where they get into shape. There was a disconnect in communication, that's all.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

He wasn't aware that training camp was so short here, because in Russia it's like a month long and that's where they get into shape. There was a disconnect in communication, that's all.

One other thing, if we do bring back Tram, qualify Goldy and if we got lucky and signed Panarin, we need to step up our game in this organization and either add a Russian coach to the coaching staff or some other improvement in our ability to manage the Russian players. We need to prevent further failures in communication, have someone who is fluent in Russian, or has loads of experience handling Russian players, and then those players know, this is the guy you go to before a problem gets out of hand.

20 minutes ago, aliboy said:

One other thing, if we do bring back Tram, qualify Goldy and if we got lucky and signed Panarin, we need to step up our game in this organization and either add a Russian coach to the coaching staff or some other improvement in our ability to manage the Russian players. We need to prevent further failures in communication, have someone who is fluent in Russian, or has loads of experience handling Russian players, and then those players know, this is the guy you go to before a problem gets out of hand.

Not sure about Goldobin but I'd definitely make an offer for Panarin.  Adding Panarin and Tryamkin basically for free in the offseason would be a huge step forward for this club, not to mention the addition of Hughes.  We are only 4 points out of a playoff spot with the team we have now, imagine adding those 3 players to the lineup without having to lose any assets?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, aliboy said:

To add a russian coach of sorts... This makes a lot of sense..   I generally can not think that players from Russia are “problems”...  but I definitely think there is a culture shock to North America, and unfortunately a language barrier for new or young players when they arrive.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I figured that that there may not have been much communicaiton but I'm happy to be wrong about that. Jim checking in regularly won't go unnoticed. 

Its pretty obvious that trying out  Nik again would solve some, not all, issues on the defence so it would be worth overpaying Nik by 1 mil so he can buy out his KHL deal. So at this point, what is Nik's market value? 

I was thinking just give him enough of a signing bonus that would cover the cost of his buyout. In any case I doubt he's going to come over next year based on the way his season ended. I could see him feeling like he has unfinished business after his team got bounced so early in the playoffs. Maybe if his team had won the championship he might have seen his time in the KHL as satisfied, but now I'm not so sure.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just skimming over the CBA.... I dunno, it doesn't look that clear cut to me since he did go and sign a deal with a non-affiliated club. It looks to me like Bettman could allow it potentially. But I've been wrong on the CBA before. We need @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME to make a ruling. 

Honestly, I’m not sure, without going through the CBA a bit, which I don’t have time for today.

But I suspect the Dec 1 deadline (to file a contract with Central Registry) might apply for this season.

And potentially also waivers, as far a joining the NHL after being in the KHL in the same season (I think that part is in Article 13–like with O’Reilly and the Flames fiasco).

In any case, I doubt we see Tryamkin coming mid-season. If he comes back, the arrangement will almost certainly happen during the off season.

EDIT: actually, waivers shouldn’t be needed mid-season, with us already holding the rights.

EDIT2: and potentially the O’Reilly thing means that Tryamkin could come back this season, after mutually terminating contract, as O’Reilly came back in February after ending his KHL deal.

Sorry I can’t be more help. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
3 hours ago, aliboy said:

And that is the choice, the numbers you're talking would likely work, but we already have enough of a sample size, we've seen him play and now he has more professional experience. They are going to say, screw the bridge deal and no AHL and then we decide, I don't see it as being that much of a risk.

A bridge deal would be very much in Tryamkin's interest as well. He could very likely earn a much larger deal after it (likely something similar to what Myers is about to get). It also keeps his commitment low should he and/or his wife decide they still like Russia better.

If he doesn't want to risk a stint in the AHL, show up in shape and work hard. There's his AHL protection right there :)

On 3/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

Biega's one way deal has nothing to do with whether he is better than Tryamkin or not. It has everything to do with compensating a player for his exceptional dedication, character and work ethic even though for many years he was a healthy scratch and sat out. Biega has that in spades and is an excellent role model for others around him. Tryamkin has not demonstrated those characteristics at all.

6m is a lot of money to pay Eriksson for his “characteristics” and being Petey’s BF..  But doubts he would go to bat for him.

I seem to recall Tryamkin swatting Yakapov around like a Nat for running Drew Shore.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

I believe Benning mentioned that they would address (improve) the D during the off-season. Maybe it's already in the works to have Tryamkin sign this off-season, and maybe Juolevi rehabs well and is ready by the fall? Possible Benning signs a UFA D as well. 

Edler - Tanev

Tryamkin - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Biega's one way deal has nothing to do with whether he is better than Tryamkin or not. It has everything to do with compensating a player for his exceptional dedication, character and work ethic even though for many years he was a healthy scratch and sat out. Biega has that in spades and is an excellent role model for others around him. Tryamkin has not demonstrated those characteristics at all.

I believe you are right about the reason for Biega's one-way deal, since when he got it he was considered to be a borderline AHL/NHL level player. Tram, however, has already demonstrated that he is full time NHL quality. As his agent points out, the AHL is not even in the conversation at this time.

There is no chance that the Canucks would even offer him a 2-way contract. If he is out of shape, they could send him to Utica for a conditioning stint and he would go. The AHL out clause was in his entry level contract because as an ELC, it was 2-way. His next NHL contract will be one-way. IMO.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Honestly, I’m not sure, without going through the CBA a bit, which I don’t have time for today.

But I suspect the Dec 1 deadline (to file a contract with Central Registry) might apply for this season.

And potentially also waivers, as far a joining the NHL after being in the KHL in the same season (I think that part is in Article 13–like with O’Reilly and the Flames fiasco).

In any case, I doubt we see Tryamkin coming mid-season. If he comes back, the arrangement will almost certainly happen during the off season.

EDIT: actually, waivers shouldn’t be needed mid-season, with us already holding the rights.

EDIT2: and potentially the O’Reilly thing means that Tryamkin could come back this season, after mutually terminating contract, as O’Reilly came back in February after ending his KHL deal.

Sorry I can’t be more help. 

no worries, its a really weird situation, no one seems all that sure on Nik's status. I did have a chat with the guys at cap friendly and they did finally changed Niks status to being a free agent at 27, so at least thats settled. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no worries, its a really weird situation, no one seems all that sure on Nik's status. I did have a chat with the guys at cap friendly and they did finally changed Niks status to being a free agent at 27, so at least thats settled. 

Thanks a lot, I liked it better when we owned his rights indefinitely. Whose side are you on? Lol.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

46 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I believe you are right about the reason for Biega's one-way deal, since when he got it he was considered to be a borderline AHL/NHL level player. Tram, however, has already demonstrated that he is full time NHL quality. As his agent points out, the AHL is not even in the conversation at this time.

There is no chance that the Canucks would even offer him a 2-way contract. If he is out of shape, they could send him to Utica for a conditioning stint and he would go. The AHL out clause was in his entry level contract because as an ELC, it was 2-way. His next NHL contract will be one-way. IMO.

I think that there is one more reason for Biega's one way deal. At the time of signing, he was pencilled in as a #7/8 NHL dman or an AHL veteran leader. ( he has played far more than expected ). I think the Canucks felt that a one way contract for 2 years would discourage others from picking him up if we put him on waivers to get him to Utica.

I don't think Tryamkin would ever see time in Utica. He puts bums in seats and is at worst a solid 3rd pairing NHL dman.

• Upvote 4
On 3/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Rob

A question that you are better to answer than I

Doesn't an NHL contract have an out in it call breach of contract? And could not fitness be part of it?

Each contract is different.   This thread can go on and on and on.....Canucks just sent a better player in Guddy out of town and now think this guy two years removed from NHL and who has at times been benched in KHL needs to be given an assured spot in the line up?   Not going to happen.   

On 3/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I can live with the above statement...…..

Q.........….Ahl………..you think Radulov would do ok in the A?

The Radulov that hustles would be more than ok.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, SilentSam said:

Some posters also need to eat “Humble Pie” and accept that some players walk with swagger..

You mean those who keep thinking this big Russian is a lock for the NHL when he was benched in KHL?   Look, the kid has potential but he isn't as good as Guddy and look how few in Vancouver we keen on him (and how well he is doing with Penguins coincidentally).

• Haha 1