The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

for me, it would depend on term for Myers, much more than AAV

I'd be shocked if he signed for less than 6. A guy like Stralman or McQuaid we can likely get for 1-3.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

why not have Tryamkin and Myers?

Myers 

Stetch

Tryamkin

that turns a woeful rhd corps into a pretty formidable one

Match those up with 

Edler

Hughes

Hutton

and we look pretty good.

Schenn good enough to be the 7th guy?

where does Tanev fit?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

why not have Tryamkin and Myers?

Myers 

Stetch

Tryamkin

that turns a woeful rhd corps into a pretty formidable one

Looks decent, but I'd like room for Woo. Perhaps that could be accomplished if Tryamkin doesn't return though. I think I'd want someone a bit more effective than Myers for what his potential price may be.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Looks decent, but I'd like room for Woo. Perhaps that could be accomplished if Tryamkin doesn't return though. I think I'd want someone a bit more effective than Myers for what his potential price may be.

watching the Jets game right now, why wouldnt fans want Tyler Myers on their team?  He's a force so far, exactly what the Canucks are missing.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

watching the Jets game right now, why wouldnt fans want Tyler Myers on their team?  He's a force so far, exactly what the Canucks are missing.

....because he is going to want a long term deal for quite a bit of money.

This means that in the later years of the contract, he would be in his mid 30's where guys typically have regressed.  This will also be the time we will need cap space to pay for all our good players.

Plus (and I havent heard this so much as just looked at his games played per season) he looks to me to be somewhat prone to injury.  

He isn't super mobile and I feel with the game getting faster that he will start to be exposed more and more - though as it stands he is still a good defensive player overall right now.

Finally, what would we be getting him for?  Scoring?  He is ok in that regard, but nothing exceptional.  If Edler continues to play at this year's level he brings far more to the table for scoring for less cost and less term. Yes he gives up size.  But for that, we might have Tryamkin to do an even better job at that, along with a far lower cost.

Really, as good of a package as Myers is, I don't think he brings anything we couldn't have better as a group. The idea of signing him for "free" to shore up our D is enticing for short term gain, but I feel it would be to our detriment looking at the longer term picture.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kloubek said:

....because he is going to want a long term deal for quite a bit of money.

This means that in the later years of the contract, he would be in his mid 30's where guys typically have regressed.  This will also be the time we will need cap space to pay for all our good players.

Plus (and I havent heard this so much as just looked at his games played per season) he looks to me to be somewhat prone to injury.  

He isn't super mobile and I feel with the game getting faster that he will start to be exposed more and more - though as it stands he is still a good defensive player overall right now.

Finally, what would we be getting him for?  Scoring?  He is ok in that regard, but nothing exceptional.  If Edler continues to play at this year's level he brings far more to the table for scoring for less cost and less term. Yes he gives up size.  But for that, we might have Tryamkin to do an even better job at that, along with a far lower cost.

Really, as good of a package as Myers is, I don't think he brings anything we couldn't have better as a group. The idea of signing him for "free" to shore up our D is enticing for short term gain, but I feel it would be to our detriment looking at the longer term picture.

I don't disagree and that's why, for me, term would be more critical than AAV........cap isn't an issue for a fair amount of time, so if they could keep the AAV lower, they could outbid a lot of teams.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Certainly a possibility I'd not be opposed to, just not the route I'd take if it was up to me.

If you ask Jets fans Myers is a 2nd or 3rd pairing D.

Not sure why people pencil him in on the 1st pair. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not opposed to Myers and think he's a serviceable top 4 dman. I just don't think he will be worth his UFA price tag, but if he could be had for a reasonable contract then sure. Don't forget that he's playing with a much better defense core, so he would likely be more exposed here given a bigger role expected of him considering what he would likely command.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree and that's why, for me, term would be more critical than AAV........cap isn't an issue for a fair amount of time, so if they could keep the AAV lower, they could outbid a lot of teams.

I guess I am assuming he would want term as most players in his age seem to.  If he was willing to take, say, 2 years then you are right - I think we could make that work.  Any more than that and I do think we run into cap considerations with Petey being slated for a big pay raise.

Under those circumstances I wouldn't be upset to see Benning make a bid.  IF Woo develops as we all hope he will then I see him as a potential replacement with a similar potential skillset. (Though expecting that level of development in 2 years is a wee bit optimistic)

Edited by kloubek

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe because at this point 2nd or 3rd pairing on WPG = 1st pairing on VAN..

doesn't mean we shouldn't aim a bit higher tho.. 

• Like 1

Does he have a shot to play for Russia at the WHC?  Maybe Markstrom and Quin can have a scrum with him during the tourney and they can chit chat about a possible return.  

Edited by Tre Mac

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think it's pretty fair to call him a 2nd pair D.

I'd imagine people pencil him in on our 1st pair because we lack top 4 D.

Either way, Myers IMO should be our last resort for upgrading our D. I'd far rather focus on the subject of this thread coming back or trading for a guy like Ristolainen or Ceci or one of CAR's RD etc, etc..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kloubek said:

I guess I am assuming he would want term as most players in his age seem to.  If he was willing to take, say, 2 years then you are right - I think we could make that work.  Any more than that and I do think we run into cap considerations with Petey being slated for a big pay raise.

Under those circumstances I wouldn't be upset to see Benning make a bid.  IF Woo develops as we all hope he will then I see him as a potential replacement with a similar potential skillset. (Though expecting that level of development in 2 years is a wee bit optimistic)

Myers has, at least, three years of his peak left, possibly even 4-5.  I think a 4 year term is reasonable and fits decently into the team cap structure.  

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Myers has, at least, three years of his peak left, possibly even 4-5.  I think a 4 year term is reasonable and fits decently into the team cap structure.  

What are the chances of him only signing for 4 years?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it's pretty fair to call him a 2nd pair D.

I'd imagine people pencil him in on our 1st pair because we lack top 4 D.

Either way, Myers IMO should be our last resort for upgrading our D. I'd far rather focus on the subject of this thread coming back or trading for a guy like Ristolainen or Ceci or one of CAR's RD etc, etc..

I have a harder time believing that Ristolainen would be available, at least for a price that would make sense for us, but I do think Ceci would be a reasonable add. Carolina's D will be harder to pry as they were looking for a Nylander (pre-ridiculous contract) return.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

This is probably true and because of this, he's going to taking the biggest contract (term and cap) that he's going to possibly get before he declines. A 4 year term may be reasonable for us, but it won't be for him. I imagine he's looking at 6 years minimum and potentially in the 7 million dollar range (plus likely some trade/movement clause) if there's a bidding war.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2