The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

In fairness, Burns/Doughty aren't average even for NHL'ers (which are all, already elite hockey players). It's actually abnormal (but extremely coveted) to have that much size AND speed. Most guys simply can't do it. Just like say Ovechkin (or our very own Virtanen for that matter) at forward. These guys are freaks of nature and not remotely the "norm".

If Tryamkin can translate his apparent speed/fluidity to the smaller NHL ice surface, at his size, we may just have something special here. I'm excited to see him over here sometime in the near future.

It seems like you are excited about his skill.  Do you see him as a top 2 defenseman on our team in the next 3-4 years?

Edited by Sedintwinpowersactivate
  • Upvote 1

It seems like you are excited about his skill.  Do you see him as a top 2 defenseman on our team in the next 3-4 years?

IMO, I think that is entirely possible,. Someone earlier mentioned he will be playing in the Spengler Cup this year..

my guess is J.B. Will be there scouting him, and quite possibly thinking of aproaching him with an offer when his KHL contract expires in April 2016

I haven't sen him play enough to really comment on his skill/hockey IQ. I am excited about his size/speed though. Just as I am with Virtanen...keeping in mind I don't expect Virtanen to be the next Ovechkin ;)

Who knows... he could very well still be in Russia in 2 years.

I doubt he'd be a top 2 D at that point though. Bottom 4 if he's over here by then, sure. From there it will depend on how well he adjusts to the NHL. I'd be mildly surprised if he ever makes a top 2 D though but he's got solid 2nd pairing guy capability if he can meet his current "ceiling". That's likely 4+ years away though.

Can he go full Chara and exceed that to be a top pair guy? We'll see....

Edited by J.R.

I haven't sen him play enough to really comment on his skill/hockey IQ. I am excited about his size/speed though. Just as I am with Virtanen...keeping in mind I don't expect Virtanen to be the next Ovechkin ;)

Who knows... he could very well still be in Russia in 2 years.

I doubt he'd be a top 2 D at that point though. Bottom 4 if he's over here by then, sure. From there it will depend on how well he adjusts to the NHL. I'd be mildly surprised if he ever makes a top 2 D though but he's got solid 2nd pairing guy capability if he can meet his current "ceiling". That's likely 4+ years away though.

Can he go full Chara and exceed that to be a top pair guy? We'll see....

I remember seeing Chara in Prince George when he was on the Cougars. We used to call him a big clown on skates.... then he'd pulverize someone and you'd just......cringe.... lol

I'm mostly saying this because Chara used to be a rather bad skater. ;)

• Upvote 2

I remember seeing Chara in Prince George when he was on the Cougars. We used to call him a big clown on skates.... then he'd pulverize someone and you'd just......cringe.... lol

i watched a year of ZC in PG as well,. I have to agree with you,. I think even he would agree about his skating prowess.

do try to youtube Tryamkin if you have not already.. I cannot believe how great this giant of a young man can skate. Hope to see him on a North American pond sometime in the not so distant future. :)  

• Upvote 1

Oh for sure, Tryamkin is a FAR better skater than Chara at the same age which is certainly very promising.

It remains to be seen whether he'll turn out to be as good of or better of a hockey player though.

Edited by J.R.

Oh for sure, Tryamkin is a FAR better skater than Chara at the same age which is certainly very promising.

It remains to be seen whether he'll turn out to be as good of or better of a hockey player though.

I don't really care for the comparisons to begin with anyway, as intriguing as they can be. :) I just think it ends up creating a few misleading perceptions.

I'd like to see how Tryamkin develops. I want to see what we get in the end. I want to see us comparing other players to Tryamkin in the end. A player with his size and skating ability is very unique. I wouldn't be surprised if he does make it to the NHL and becomes a top 4, but I wouldn't except that to happen for a long time from now.

Edited by The Lock

I don't really care for the comparisons to begin with anyway, as intriguing as they can be. :) I just think it ends up creating a few misleading perceptions.

I'd like to see how Tryamkin develops. I want to see what we get in the end. I want to see us comparing other players to Tryamkin in the end. A player with his size and skating ability is very unique. I wouldn't be surprised if he does make it to the NHL and becomes a top 4, but I wouldn't except that to happen for a long time from now.

Agree, he has an intriguing package for sure. I'm also interested to see how he turns out B)

Does he have a nasty mean streak like Chara or Pronger?  It would be great to have that on our defense.  If not... maybe we can teach Kendall Waston to skate now the Whitecaps season is over.. LOL.

Benning has used the words mean streak to describe NT. He's big and nasty and looks like a Benning guy. I said this before, that I think Pedan signing was a direct result of getting Tryamkin. With another Russian in the system, it may entice him into coming over sooner than he may have otherwise. It's nice to see some Russian talent being considered, instead of the Burke and Gillis years, where it was never an option. Benning is definitely playing chess, whereas all the armchair GM's are playing checkers.

• Upvote 3