The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

This is uber interesting Shayster,.  I’ve been watching Avtomobilist stack their roster, and what seems to be pushing themselves far past the New KHL Cap of 13.5 m per team usd.

Its had me wondering if they realize they are going to lose Tryamkin next season when his contract expires,. If Avtomobilist is willing to release him for 1/2 of his contract salary (aprx. $350,000.oo usd), and at least get something for him now?

This a least tears me away from the Eriksson thread !!  Thank you.

see if I can wake up @Hairy Kneel & @Stierlitz for this chit chat.

What the heck!? Awesome quote, hell

Get a contract over there JB! 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It could make sense to have Stecher with Edler. @18W-40C-6W seems to be suggesting with the partnership with the return of Tryamkin and looks like Tanev is out. If Myers is not strong enough defensively then Benn can move to the right side where he's perfectly capable which leaves Tryamkin with Myers, the two towers.

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Benn

Tryamkin-Myers

The minutes would likely be more balanced out rather than the typical numbers, which is good for Edler for his health and longevity and allows more growth of Hughes. Depending on the game if we need to become more defensive or offensive, they could shift the pairings. Chemistry might be questioned if pairings are shifted in game, but having partnerships change on a PK or PP, so they just need to practice with one another and get used to everyone's tendencies.

Why would we put 2 LD’s together and 2 RD’s together though?

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Myers needs a strong partner who can play defense. That isn't Hughes.

Edler will play with Myers

Tanev will play with Hughes

Your suggestion makes no sense imo. But we will see.

Stecher is a 3rd pairing D man. If he plays any higher this team has already failed to upgrade their D enough.

As much as I agree stecher should start the season on the third pairing, I don't think it is out of the question that could could develop into a strong 4-5 D. I think he made some significant strides last year and can definitely continue building off of that. The kid hasn't peaked, he has more to show us me thinks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Benn is capable of playing on the right side by all accounts that I've read. He provides the stay at home dman capabilities to balance Hughes' offensive side and possibly lack of defensive game. Benn is also decently physical, so a better version of Schenn that we had last season.

Tryamkin can both both sides too and is actually a leftie that has played on the right. I would like to see the two towers together at some point during their time here too!

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Talented D can play either side.  USSR team back in the 70’s had zero right shot players on their whole team.  Habs of the same era played all lefties on their D.  Quinn Hughes is of that elite level.  He could play either side. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Ehrhoff and Edler were both LD, but played together.

Chemistry and talent can allow some players to play "out of position" and can still be very successful.  

Just now, Lancaster said:

Ehrhoff and Edler were both LD, but played together.

Chemistry and talent can allow some players to play "out of position" and can still be very successful.  

Yes but that did not force Bieksa and Salo for example to play together. How many teams can run 2 lines with same handedness defensemen? Having Benn and Hughes forces us to have Stecher and Myers or Tanev. Sure, one line can maybe pull it off, but what if that affects the other line negatively? It's always safer to play them on their natural side (even when handedness is not a factor ala Tryamkin). Muscle memory, game sense and flow of play are optimal in that case. We also have the perfect pairings already whilst keeping our natural sided dmen on their natural side

Edler Myers  - very good 2 way line, provides good offense

Hughes Tanev - elite offense paired with elite defense

Benn Stecher - steady dman with two way dman 

Unless these lines don't develop ANY chemistry.. I just don't see how they don't make perfect sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yes but that did not force Bieksa and Salo for example to play together. How many teams can run 2 lines with same handedness defensemen? Having Benn and Hughes forces us to have Stecher and Myers or Tanev. Sure, one line can maybe pull it off, but what if that affects the other line negatively? It's always safer to play them on their natural side (even when handedness is not a factor ala Tryamkin). Muscle memory, game sense and flow of play are optimal in that case. We also have the perfect pairings already whilst keeping our natural sided dmen on their natural side

Edler Myers  - very good 2 way line, provides good offense

Hughes Tanev - elite offense paired with elite defense

Benn Stecher - steady dman with two way dman 

Unless these lines don't develop ANY chemistry.. I just don't see how they don't make perfect sense.

Hughes is a phenom.  He will play either side with equal greatness.  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom.  He will play either side with equal greatness.  

Hughes is a phenom. Starting him at 20 yo on his backhand with forecheckers like Simmonds, Lucic, Kreider etc... all at full speed might not be the best position for him to succeed. I do think he can get past those players a fair majority of the time. The rest of the time, it seems like he could get hurt. Tanev prevents that and enables him to play on his forehand. It's really just the smartest thing for his development and for this taem in general. It also enables him to play rover whilst having an elite defensive D covering for him. Lets him play with 100% confidence in the offensive end.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Ferland-EP-BB

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Motte

Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg, Biega

Schaller, Eriksson waived/traded. Am I missing someone?

If Tryamkin is signed this offseason, we send down Biega. When Roussel returns, we will have to see if we have further injuries and figure thing out then.

Our Hobey Baker winner...Gaudette....

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hughes is a phenom. Starting him at 20 yo on his backhand with forecheckers like Simmonds, Lucic, Kreider etc... all at full speed might not be the best position for him to succeed. I do think he can get past those players a fair majority of the time. The rest of the time, it seems like he could get hurt. Tanev prevents that and enables him to play on his forehand. It's really just the smartest thing for his development and for this taem in general. It also enables him to play rover whilst having an elite defensive D covering for him. Lets him play with 100% confidence in the offensive end.

Any play can get injured at any time.  Look at Chara getting a puck in the face, which broke his jaw.  Quinn will be all over the ice.  A partner like Tanev, who is extremely start, would be ideal with Quinn. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Good question and relevant   Benn = 18.12, Stecher = 19.55 over the course of last season

The strange thing I noticed when I was looking up TOI is Hutton had the most for Vcr and they lets him go  :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Our Hobey Baker winner...Gaudette....

He didn't show enough for me to have earned a full time spot last season. We no longer have the room to develop players at the NHL level, so unless he has an incredible camp and knocks someone out, I have him down in Utica to start. Still a long off season, but I'm expecting us to try to up Sutter's value and moving him sometime this season if possible, but if he gets hurt again, then Gaudette will replace him. I think Gaudette will benefit from getting more minutes in Utica and hopefully not being called back and forth to have some stability in development. The fact that he's doesn't need waivers also puts the odds against him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The strange thing I noticed when I was looking up TOI is Hutton had the most for Vcr and they lets him go  :lol:

Apparently out of everyone outstanding to sign Hutton eats minutes.

.. if only Ben H could turn it into performance.. so much potential, kid needs a “killer switch”.

Hope he finds it where ever he lands.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He didn't show enough for me to have earned a full time spot last season. We no longer have the room to develop players at the NHL level, so unless he has an incredible camp and knocks someone out, I have him down in Utica to start. Still a long off season, but I'm expecting us to try to up Sutter's value and moving him sometime this season if possible, but if he gets hurt again, then Gaudette will replace him. I think Gaudette will benefit from getting more minutes in Utica and hopefully not being called back and forth to have some stability in development. The fact that he's doesn't need waivers also puts the odds against him.

Does anyone even know if Sutter is healthy yet?