The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Gillis knew he wouldn't be around to deal with the NTCs. All GMs do it. What's the average life span of a GM, 3 or 4 years? It sucked that Benning had to start out with those NTCs but that's just the name of the game these days. Benning's replacement will be dealing with the same thing.

That short lifespan for a GM is if they suck. I doubt GMs plan on sucking. What if he got an extension and trapped himself? He didn't give them NTCs thinking he's gone by then anyway, he gave it to them so they would take a lower cap, so they could try to fit in the best team they could without going over the cap. He was constantly (and Gilman too) planning on ways to "circumvent" the cap under the rules allowed (see Luongo's contract). As a former player agent, he likely knew what players would be willing to take on for a bit less money.

Look at some of the better teams in the league (SJ, Nashville, Tampa, etc) and their GMs have been around for a long time. In Tampa's case, Yzerman was around for nearly a decade but could've been longer had he not stepped down. Some GMs need some time for continuity to see a plan through and sometimes that's accepting that mistakes will happen and sometimes not every move works out (of course there are some bad ones and that's where ownership/a president need to know when to cut ties). If you're constantly changing GMs then you're also constantly changing the plan (because why would the next GM continue the path of the previous GM and why would they hire someone else to keep following the same path) and the direction of the team gets lost.

Considering what Benning had to start with and where it is now in the timeframe so far, it's nothing short of a miracle. He is completely deserving of seeing things through with that he has built so far and if a new GM would be coming into the fold in the near future, it will be a sweet gig as most of the groundwork has been laid out. Benning's plan is unfolding, but a new GM could take it in a whole different direction that could turn the ship back around and sink it.

• Upvote 2

The end of the Gillis era as brought about by ownership. Gillis new, heck Tortorella ( and openly stated so ) new the team was stale and needed to chnage and ownership wanted to get blood out of a stone. The result was Torts ( who was not Gillis choice ) and shortly there after Gillis were released. Sadly  this delayed a rebuild for  many years. It was inevitable, the two  beliefs would collide, the need to rebuild and the desire to string out a few more seasons  mediocrity. The owner can do what he wishes, he bank rolled the team and you do what the boss tells you, except it didn't work. During the Gillis era I personally enjoyed hockey likely as much it not more so than and era of my support ( season ticket holder since 1973 ) it was fun to go to the games and mostly because the team enjoyed unprecedented success. Two Presidents trophies and a game 7 of the SC. Never achieved before and it'll be a long time before it happens again. Gillis last move of defiance was when he traded what was surely to be a franchise goalie ( Schneider ) for Horvat, IMO that's worked out pretty good. Now for those that have recently added to the Canuck fan base it likely doesn't matter, it's the here and now. For me it was a drive down Robson Street with thousand out celebrating and every one having a great time. I'm pretty sure Francesco wants a cup very badly while his father can enjoy the moment but that wish resulted in a false dichotomy and has resulted in a prolonged delay. When JB joined the Canucks his grand statement was this team is easy to turn around, and that was 5 years ago

Tryamkin with a good game.Caught the last half, Avto won 3-2 in OT. 

Try with a nice pinch sealing the puck off for his forward to get a great scoring chance. He was effective on the PK (as Severstal looked dangerous with their last PP).

He also made a nice cross ice dive to his stomach, then poke check, to interfere with a Severstal scoring chance (the Severstal forward pyloned Tryamkin's defense partner) 

Severstal actually looked more comfortable on the NHL sized ice than Automobilist. 

I think it was Avto's home opener. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin with a good game.Caught the last half, Avto won 3-2 in OT. 

Try with a nice pinch sealing the puck off for his forward to get a great scoring chance. He was effective on the PK (as Severstal looked dangerous with their last PP).

He also made a nice cross ice dive to his stomach, then poke check, to interfere with a Severstal scoring chance (the Severstal forward pyloned Tryamkin's defense partner) 

Severstal actually looked more comfortable on the NHL sized ice than Automobilist. 

I think it was Avto's home opener. 

Avto’s home ice is NHL sized now?  

19 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’m just curious as to why people think he’s coming back? Has there been any indications or is it just wishful thinking on the fan base? 

The prophets have seen it. He is the chosen one.

That, and he has left that door wide open, has talked favourably about Canucks developments, and follows them closely through social media, etc.

34 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He hasn't renewed with Avto his contract runs out at the end of the season Feb 27(unless they go into the playoffs). He still has his Instagram in a Canuck uniform. He has expressed a desire to come back. He makes sub one million there should at least double his pay here, if not more. He still follows our games and players.

As well as Benning keeps talking about bringing him back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Before Benning:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Booth/Matthias - Santorelli - Hansen

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Weber/Stanton - Tanev

Lack

Markstrom

Top prospects: Horvat, Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado

Today:

Miller/Ferland - EP - BB

Pearson/Baertschi - Horvat - Ferland/Miller

Baertschi/Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen

Leivo (Roussel when healthy) - Beagle - Motte

Goldobin/Eriksson

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

(maybe Tryamkin)

Markstrom

Demko

Top prospects: Juolevi, Podkolzin, Gaudette, Woo, Rathbone, Lind, Hoglander, Madden, the list goes on...

Safe to say he's turned it around quite a bit in the time he's been GM, which in the grand scheme of things and considering the start point, so he's backed his statement up quite well IMO.

And 5 years is in fact blazing speed to have accomplished what he has when you look at how long other teams have been at it.

I honestly laugh when I see/hear people type/say things along the likes of what you quoted.

tenor.gif 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’m just curious as to why people think he’s coming back? Has there been any indications or is it just wishful thinking on the fan base? 

He was recently on Goldobin's instagram live, saying that he wants to come back & that he is just waiting on a new contract

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Considering what Benning had to start with and where it is now in the timeframe so far, it's nothing short of a miracle. 

...but those inbred morons at HF think JB sucks!

::D

JB has done a great job drafting. And is getting better with contracts and ufas.  I am excited for this year. :towel:

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

He's worth at least Hutton's 2.8 if not 3 or more

I’m not arguing that, he gets less than million in Russia so his financial break even point is probably less than a million eight - that does  grant us plenty of room.  And there are quality of life bonuses here - unless you are a big fan of the ballet - though I suppose dealing with a new language can be a headache.

19 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Safe to say he's turned it around quite a bit in the time he's been GM, which in the grand scheme of things and considering the start point, so he's backed his statement up quite well IMO.

Boston, remember them. They won the SC right here in Vcr in 2011. Maybe you didn't notice but they were in the FINAL again. Now that's turning it around. In the last 5 years lots of team have made good progress. In 2011 TB didn't make it to the play-offs, now ? Don't look at the prospects, they maybe good, turn out to be flops or average, hey maybe they get injured ( like OJ for the last 3 years) you can't just celebrate prospects when the goal is to win a Cup