The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, right now I think he is second in TOI/game, by about 16 seconds per game, although he may have played the most total minutes. He is one of the top 2 Dmen on his team in most categories, including ice time per game, points, hits, plus minus, etc. 

Claiming he is currently a 3rd pairing Dman is about as accurate as claiming JT Miller is a 3rd line forward.

Thanks for the update,  am corrected about his minutes.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Awful narrative.  Good god...

:picard:

(go back to hf haha)

There is a reason Edler leads the league in minor penalties, he has become less and less mobile as the season has gone on - he has spent large portions of his last few games hooking, tripping and holding on because he can’t skate.  That might only be because of nagging injury... but it might also be the end result of the wear and tear of the years in the NHL.  We’ll see.  The league has sped up and his pace has regressed, and in the last few games before this last injury, he had slowed sharply and obviously.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is a reason Edler leads the league in minor penalties, he has become less and less mobile as the season has gone on - he has spent large portions of his last few games hooking, tripping and holding on because he can’t skate.  That might only be because of nagging injury... but it might also be the end result of the wear and tear of the years in the NHL.  We’ll see.  The league has sped up and his pace has regressed, and in the last few games before this last injury, he had slowed sharply and obviously.

And yet he is  leading  the team, averaging 23 minutes of ice time per game. Seems the coaches like him.

Perhaps they see something that others miss?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, I stand corrected. He has more total time on ice this year than any other player on his team. I wonder how long until we hear some more about how "He plays 3rd pairing minutes...", "he's often a healthy scratch", etc. Lol.

Tunnel vision is rampant here.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for correcting me on his usage in russia. I don't watch any khl games.

So he leads their team in minutes played? Good to hear.

The khl is an inferior league to the NHL by far. Tryamkin was clearly a 3rd pairing D man when he played for the Canucks before. I like his size and strength but he was mediocre here before but ok as a 3rd pairing d man.

I would love it if Tryam comes back and is able to play something other than 3rd pairing minutes. Actually, I would be fine if he comes back and is able to play solid consistent 3rd pairing minutes for the Canucks. His size is needed.

However, starting some crap narrative that Tryam is something other than just an NHL 3rd pairing D is disingenuous.  Tryam has never, in his career, shown he can be more than an NHL 3rd pairing D man. If he can, good on him and I would love it. But he is 25 already and has probably maxed out. There is a very small chance he can continue to develop at 25 yrs old but not likely at all.

So posters trying to say he will be some kind of great 1st or 2nd pairing D man in the NHL are just making stuff up at this point.

Case in point, the Canucks signed one of the best D men in the KHL in Larsen and all he did is flame out in the NHL.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The KHL is arguably the next best league after the KHL. So as inferior as you may think it is, it's pretty much the next best level after the NHL. Certainly above AHL, so Tryamkin may conceivably have actually developed his game further there (you don't only develop in NA). It should be noted that the team went to a smaller NHL surface and while the team hasn't looked as good this year (don't know how much the rink size change affects it), Tryamkin has continued to be steady. We can go back and forth on examples of players that have or have not panned out coming from the KHL, but it happens in every league and I could argue there are players in the NHL that don't belong also, so that doesn't really negate what Tryamkin may bring to the table.

He may have played 3rd pairing minutes and had his issues when he came then, but that doesn't mean it carries forward to today. What we do know is that he doesn't play 3rd pairing minutes now and players that play 20+ minutes a night aren't usually players with conditioning issues. He's part of their leadership group so that doesn't scream that he would have character issues. He's a heavily relied on player so he has the coach's trust and there's no reason that cannot be carried on here. He has developed his defensive game and with the possibility of Tanev leaving, we need someone like him more than ever to hopefully take over and if he does, that puts him right into top 4 category. You could suggest that people are making stuff up about him potentially being a 2nd pairing guy here, but suggesting he's the same player that he was 3 seasons ago isn't being truthful either.

Tryamkin played 3rd pairing for about half the year. Injuries forced him up the pecking order and at times he was top pairing. His TOI went up accordingly. That is why I was so disappointed when he went back to the KHL that summer. I thought he had formed a good enough base that he could have challenged for a 2nd pairing role. I was negative about his time in the KHL as a set back to a NHL career. I don't consider the KHL as second only to the NHL in quality as far as prep for a NHL career. I still prefer the AHL. 

None of this really matters as the proof will be in his performance if he returns. I would look forward to that but do not hold out a lot of hope. Bottom line is he went back to Russia and no matter what his agent says he might stay there. He could easily play the Canucks off against his KHL team to get a better contract for him to stay there.    

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Worth a look. Tryamkin coming back would be like getting another free asset. :) 

All this hopeful talk has me maybe warming to the idea of this BFG coming back ...... Beneficial Free Goods!

Who doesn’t like free stuff? I know I rarely turn it down. As long as there’s no catch.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Worth a look. Tryamkin coming back would be like getting another free asset. :) 

All this hopeful talk has me maybe warming to the idea of this BFG coming back ...... Beneficial Free Goods!

Who doesn’t like free stuff? I know I rarely turn it down. As long as there’s no catch.

I can't say I have followed Try since he left Vancouver; just reading what others' have said. 

His stats tell an odd story, so I wonder what Try fans can tell me what they mean.  Upon his return to Russia, he played 51 games with 25pts and 109PIMS.  The following 2 seasons, his offence appears to have taken a large dip and the PIMS have plummeted 31 and so far this year 22.   Seems like the KHL has taken the bite out of this player.

On paper, Try looks like he has regressed.  I'd be interested in hearing how fans are viewing these stats.

• Upvote 2