The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Petey and Hughes need to be re-signed the year after this one not this year. That year Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Spooner, Baer and Benn are all up. That's a lot of cap right there. More than enough to sign Petey and Hughes.

I doubt the defenseman we have are gonna step in and make an impact like Hughes, especially defensively. They would have to in order to let Tanev go, especially with Edler gone the following year. That takes time. If we are without Edler and Tanev in 2 years without any sort of veteran replacement/stop gap we are not gonna have success for a while till we go through the growing pains of a young D-core.

We need a stop gap top 4 defenseman. Someone to carry the load for the next little bit to allow the young guys we have(Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, Woo, Tryamkin) to adjust to the game and take up that defensive responisbility. Are forwards are way ahead of our D. 

What we should do is re-sign Tanev because he'd be probably cheaper than any other top 4 D on the market and then let Edler go the following year who will be 35 and might even be looking at retirement at that point.

What about Markstrom, Virtanen, Gaudette and Motte?  They need new contracts next year.  Like I said go through the numbers, it doesn't add up.  Plus you are looking at $16-18 million to re-sign Petey and Quinn.  That money will easily be eaten up by Baertschi, Sutter, Edler, Spooner, Pearson and Benn.  Plus you have several bodies you have to replace with cheaper contracts.  So add another $4-5 million to that number.  Like I said it doesn't add up.  

The only way we can re-sign Tanev is if Loui retires and we clear his $6 million and Ferland is on LTIR for another year...

5 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Petey and Quinn don't get re-signed until the 21-22 season and we will have quite a number of current contract off the books by then including Sutter, Baer and Spooner. It has also been rumored that LE will retire after he gets his bonus next summer, so that should also be clear. That being said, I don't see Edler being here beyond his current contract and Tanev, who knows. You are right though, we do need younger D-men to step up, hopefully Tram is one.

Like I already mentioned go through Cap Friendly, the numbers don't add up.  Only way to keep Tanev around is if Loui retires and we keep Ferland on LTIR. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I already mentioned go through Cap Friendly, the numbers don't add up.  Only way to keep Tanev around is if Loui retires and we keep Ferland on LTIR. 

I've already looked at one of the sites and we're fine, but again, I don't see re-signing Tanev as being imperative.

Edited by aliboy

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What about Markstrom, Virtanen, Gaudette and Motte?  They need new contracts next year.  Like I said go through the numbers, it doesn't add up.  Plus you are looking at $16-18 million to re-sign Petey and Quinn.  That money will easily be eaten up by Baertschi, Sutter, Edler, Spooner, Pearson and Benn.  Plus you have several bodies you have to replace with cheaper contracts.  So add another $4-5 million to that number.  Like I said it doesn't add up.  

The only way we can re-sign Tanev is if Loui retires and we clear his $6 million and Ferland is on LTIR for another year...

I can't see Gaudette/Virtanen/Motte getting huge deals or even lengthy ones. The year after we sign Petey and Hughes we will be getting a boatload of cap. That's probably when we will sign Gaudette, Virtanen and Boeser to longer deals.

I don't see us signing Hughes to a monster deal off his ELC. He and Gaudette don't have any abritration rights and can't receive an offer-sheet. Benning is gonna take that to his advantage. Petey probably will get one though.

I doubt Marky and Tanev probably will get much more than they're making. 

We are also talking under the assumption that we don't make trades or Loui doesn't retire(would be amazing if he did). I could see teams taking Pearson, Benn, Sutter  easy and maybe even take a chance on Baer for a year.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I can't see Gaudette/Virtanen/Motte getting huge deals or even lengthy ones. The year after we sign Petey and Hughes we will be getting a boatload of cap. That's probably when we will sign Gaudette, Virtanen and Boeser to longer deals.

I don't see us signing Hughes to a monster deal off his ELC. He and Gaudette don't have any abritration rights and can't receive an offer-sheet. Benning is gonna take that to his advantage which he shouldPetey could get one though.

I doubt Marky and Tanev probably will get much more than they're making. 

We are also talking under the assumption that we don't make trades or Loui doesn't retire(would be amazing if he did). I could see teams taking Pearson, Benn, Sutter  easy and maybe even take a chance on Baer for a year.

Virtanen will be getting a big raise.  If he hits over 20 goals he could get close otrto $3 million.  Petey is going to get Marner money.  Hughes will get whatever Makar gets.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets over $5 million.  As for Mary do you honestly think he is going to sign for $3.6 million as a UFA?  Seriously?  Marky is getting paid.  Either Benning pays him or somebody else will.  It will be closer to $6 million than it will be to $3.6 million.

As things stand right now, in 21-22 we are going to have around half our cap available, with lots of young players stepping up like Madden, Podkolzin and Hoglander, along with at least a couple of young D-men. There will be the odd tough decision, but that's the business side of the game.

13 minutes ago, aliboy said:

I've already looked at one of the sites and we're fine, but again, I don't see re-signing Tanev as being imperative.

Not sure what site you are looking at but Cap Friendly shows us right at the cap without re-signing Tanev or Stecher, and replacing them with cheaper contracts like Tryamkin and Rafferty.  I added a few million to account for the re-signing of Marky, Gaudette, Virtanen and Motte.  I even sent Loui and Baer down to the minors and took $2 million off of their salaries.

If we were to shed Loui's salary completely then that is the money for Tanev.  Likewise with Baertschi then that is the money for Stecher.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

As things stand right now, in 21-22 we are going to have around half our cap available, with lots of young players stepping up like Madden, Podkolzin and Hoglander, along with at least a couple of young D-men. There will be the odd tough decision, but that's the business side of the game.

You really need to look at Cap Friendly closely.  It shows half our cap is available in 21-22 but with only 8 contracts signed.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Virtanen will be getting a big raise.  If he hits over 20 goals he could get close otrto $3 million.  Petey is going to get Marner money.  Hughes will get whatever Makar gets.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets over $5 million.  As for Mary do you honestly think he is going to sign for $3.6 million as a UFA?  Seriously?  Marky is getting paid.  Either Benning pays him or somebody else will.  It will be closer to $6 million than it will be to $3.6 million.

I never said he is gonna get 3.6 million but he isn't getting more than 5 here which is what I think he will re-sign for. If he wants 6 million he can walk. I think Marky cares about term and security more so than money with Seattle looming. You see him signing a 6 million NMC contract long term anywhere? I don't. Teams are gonna stay away from huge goalie contracts after Bobrovsky.

I see Virtanen and Gaudette getting around 2.5 million each in a bridge deal till the year after Petey and Hughes are signed since we're getting cap like I mentioned. Then they can sign longer term. Gaudette and Hughes have zero arbitration rights and can't be offer sheeted so their next contract won't be their biggest one. Yeah Petey is gonna get paid, I see that easy. Marner money? Hopefully he signs for a bit less so we can build a better team but not everyone is like MacKinnon.

It really shouldn't be a problem to re-sign Tanev. We have a lot of options next year. Like trade as I mentioned. Rafferty and Tryamkin aren't sure things. I don't see any NHL teams putting so faith in anything that aren't sure things. The Canucks are gonna tread a lot more carefully.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

My feelings are pretty mixed about Tan-man. We're approaching 500 games with this fine citizen, & he's as brave a shot-blocker as you'll find. Him & Eagle have carried on the passion/compete from the glory yrs. But then...

When he starts rolling(& season is well-in) he gets hurt.

Or opponents running around in a mess. Puck pops out to the point(prime time for a booming blast)..& you see it's CT, & a waffling knuckler that dips in an air pocket.

So he has NO shot, & he'll never punish opponents. Two big deficiencies, to counterbalance his impressive attributes.

We Neeed cap space for this yr & next(rookie bonuses exacerbate the crunch). We signed Benn, who can handle(w/physicality) the right side too. Take a 2nd or 3rd(+ prospect) for CT, & call it a day.

Yeah..forget about the TBay/Miller shyte(worries about high 1st next yr..blah x3), & everything else. IF we can get a decent return..do it.

I think it depends on if we are in a playoff spot or not. If we are, then I'd just keep him as a "rental" and wish him luck on his next endeavour. IMO, Benn is a major downgrade to what Tanev can bring aside from the physicality. Benn would be a stop gap option, not a replacement. I realize it's not a realistic option to keep Tanev, but he will be tough to replace and whoever does sign him will benefit if he can stay healthy.

Seeing how Tryamkin handles his time here will be key to the confidence of letting him go. Tryamkin has become a defensive dman that skates well and handles similar minutes to what Tanev is playing now, plus adds the physicality and a booming shot that may be a hidden gem.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I went through Cap Friendly and I don't see any scenario where we can keep Tanev at $5-6 million for upwards of 5 years. 

Why would the Canucks need to pay Tanev 5-6 million a year for 5 years???  That makes no sense.

Tanev currently makes 4.45 million per year and he is now older then when he signed that last contract. He also does not provide much offence, however he is a good defensive D man.  Edler just got a two year contact at 6 million per.

So common sense dictates Tanev would probably get a two year contract for about 4.5 million per.  Not some 6 million contract for 5 years.

PS: I could not care less about the Canucks cap. That is for a highly paid GM to figure out. And right now JB has no one anywhere close to being able to replace Tanev. My bet is JB signs Tanev for 2 years at 4.5 mill. He can figure out the cap....I won't lose sleep over it.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

I'm not sure that Tanev is still here by the trade deadline. A couple of factors will likely come into play at that time. 1) Is the team still in the playoff hunt or at least very close? 2) Does JB have a solid read on whether Tryamkin is likely to sign and join the team for a playoff push?

If the answer to #1 is yes, they may hold on to him and try to sign him to some kind of term before the end of the season. If the answer to #2 is that Tryamkin has indicated through his agent  that he intends to sign and play for the Canucks then JB may move Tanev before the deadline.

Regardless of which way the Tanev / Tryamkin scenario plays out; I think that Stetcher might be moved before the TDL if they are out of the playoff picture in favor of bringing up Brogan Rafferty.

Not sure how his overall game will translate to the NHL but if he can continue to improve his defensive game, he could give the Canucks a lot of different options at both 5 on 5 and on the PP

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think collectively Tryamkin, Brisebois and Rafferty can replace both Tanev and Stecher.  We don't have the cap space to keep Tanev and Stecher, which would cost us upwards of $9 million next year.  Rafferty at $700k is already better than Stecher offensively, he just needs to work on his defensive game.  We also have the option to re-sign Fatenberg, so Rafferty could in essence be our 7th D and you play Benn on the right side with Fatenberg next year.  Rafferty comes in and out of the lineup to provide offence.  That can make up for losing Tanev.  And it would be a lot cheaper to re-sign Fatenberg than Tanev.  As a matter of fact, Fatenberg, Tryamkin, Rafferty and Brisbois combined would be less of a cap hit than keeping Tanev.

At the end of the day if we can turn Demko and Stecher + into a top 6 forward and integrate our younger D into the lineup to replace Tanev and Stecher and eventually Edler and Benn then that is the long term plan for Benning and the right one for future success as it would eliminate any cap issues and it would get all our young prospects into the lineup.

I understand that we should be integrating our young defenseman into the the team, but none of our young defensemen realistically project to be more than 3rd pairing guys. Rafferty can take out Stetcher and provide a different element, but the overall change likely wouldn't be too noticeable. There's a lot of hope that Tryamkin can effectively eat Tanev's minutes, but it's just blind hope at this point. 

Any scenario where we let Tanev walk would weaken our team considerably. I would normally be fine with that, but next season we might be giving up an unprotected 1st rounder. It's a tough scenario that really didn't need to happen. 

Can you show me a hypothetical defense core for next year that you believe is as good as our current one?

Edler - Myers 

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stetcher

Fantenberg

49 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why would the Canucks need to pay Tanev 5-6 million a year for 5 years???  That makes no sense.

Tanev currently makes 4.45 million per year and he is now older then when he signed that last contract. He also does not provide much offence, however he is a good defensive D man.  Edler just got a two year contact at 6 million per.

So common sense dictates Tanev would probably get a two year contract for about 4.5 million per.  Not some 6 million contract for 5 years.

PS: I could not care less about the Canucks cap. That is for a highly paid GM to figure out. And right now JB has no one anywhere close to being able to replace Tanev. My bet is JB signs Tanev for 2 years at 4.5 mill. He can figure out the cap....I won't lose sleep over it.

Unfortunately the Canucks don’t control what Tanev will get as he is a UFA.  He’s 4 years younger than Edler so the term he gets will certainly be more than 2 years.  I can see a team offering him similar numbers to what Myers got.  I could be wrong but that is what I see and the Canucks won’t play ball at those numbers.  

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I understand that we should be integrating our young defenseman into the the team, but none of our young defensemen realistically project to be more than 3rd pairing guys. Rafferty can take out Stetcher and provide a different element, but the overall change likely wouldn't be too noticeable. There's a lot of hope that Tryamkin can effectively eat Tanev's minutes, but it's just blind hope at this point. 

Any scenario where we let Tanev walk would weaken our team considerably. I would normally be fine with that, but next season we might be giving up an unprotected 1st rounder. It's a tough scenario that really didn't need to happen. 

Can you show me a hypothetical defense core for next year that you believe is as good as our current one?

Edler - Myers 

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stetcher

Fantenberg

Already did that

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tryamkin

Benn - Rafferty

Fantenberg

Tryamkin should be a bit cheaper than Tanev to sign and probably a heck of a lot more durable, especially come playoff time

Rafferty would be a much cheaper option than Stetcher and with cap space  next year likely to be a very real concern; I think this move is likely going to happen but does Stetcher, who has arbitration rights, get moved before the TDL or in the off season. Either way I see Rafferty on this team next season if not before, unless he has a monumental setback in the second half of Utica's season. As a side note: He is currently on pace for a 70 point season as a freshman D man.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Edler - Myers 

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stetcher

Fantenberg

Edler       Myers

Hughes   Tryamkin

Benn       Rafferty 

Fatenberg 

I don’t know whether that would be better than what we have now but it would certainly be cheaper and allow us to get a top 6 forward to play with BO.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unfortunately the Canucks don’t control what Tanev will get as he is a UFA.  He’s 4 years younger than Edler so the term he gets will certainly be more than 2 years.  I can see a team offering him similar numbers to what Myers got.  I could be wrong but that is what I see and the Canucks won’t play ball at those numbers.  

Pure speculation.

Posters said the same about Edler....that he would get 5 or 6 years at 6-7 million per. That didn't happen.

I will let the pros get it done.

Tanev is head and shoulders better than tryamkin. We already know that.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pure speculation.

Posters said the same about Edler....that he would get 5 or 6 years at 6-7 million per. That didn't happen.

I will let the pros get it done.

Tanev is head and shoulders better than tryamkin. We already know that.

Edler is almost 4 years older than Tanev.  Completely different scenario.  Anton Stralman who was 32 last summer got a 3 year $5.5 million deal from Florida after only playing 47 games last year.  Tanev is better than Stralman.  And he’s only 30. You are kidding yourself if you think Tanev will only get a 2 year deal at the same pay he is getting now next summer as a UFA.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edler is almost 4 years older than Tanev.  Completely different scenario.  Anton Stralman who was 32 last summer got a 3 year $5.5 million deal from Florida after only playing 47 games last year.  Tanev is better than Stralman.  And he’s only 30. You are kidding yourself if you think Tanev will only get a 2 year deal at the same pay he is getting now next summer as a UFA.

yeah...we shall see

• Wat 1