Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Already did that

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tryamkin

Benn - Rafferty

Fantenberg

Tryamkin should be a bit cheaper than Tanev to sign and probably a heck of a lot more durable, especially come playoff time

Rafferty would be a much cheaper option than Stetcher and with cap space  next year likely to be a very real concern; I think this move is likely going to happen but does Stetcher, who has arbitration rights, get moved before the TDL or in the off season. Either way I see Rafferty on this team next season if not before, unless he has a monumental setback in the second half of Utica's season. As a side note: He is currently on pace for a 70 point season as a freshman D man.

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edler       Myers

Hughes   Tryamkin

Benn       Rafferty 

Fatenberg 

I don’t know whether that would be better than what we have now but it would certainly be cheaper and allow us to get a top 6 forward to play with BO.

Those defense cores are definitely downgrades. Rafferty can likely step into Stetcher's spot well, but Tryamkin can't step into Tanev's effectively. Because Tanev is such a big part of our current defense core, that leads to a considerably weaker defense. I think that is generally agreed upon. 

However, there could be significant consequences for a weaker defense core next year. We could potentially be giving up our 1st round pick next year. It's a situation that management put on themselves that we should now be mindful of. With that in mind, would you be comfortable with that defense for next year, especially considering how our defense this year is stronger and we're only on the playoff bubble?

If Tryamkin came back the best D-core next year would be.

Edler-Myers

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Benn

The following year with Edler and Benn gone would be.

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Myers

Juolevi-Rafferty

Brisebois

I really don't get how people think some of these young defenseman can just come in and make up for the loss of Tanev and Edler moving forward when they'd be rookies, maybe sophomores(if they get some time this year) or haven't played in the NHL in a long time in Tryamkin's case. Way too much faith in the young guys too early. Defenseman have a harder adjusting period unless you're someone like Makar or Hughes who are used in more of a offensive role and are elite that way.

Cap won't be a problem moving forward. We could make moves. Sutter/Pearson/Benn/Baer will be on expiring years next year and I see a market for a few of them. Maybe Eriksson retires?

Edited by Junkyard Dog

I am so confused....  

Avto iced 8 d-men and 12 forwards in their last game.  
Their opposition iced 7 d-men and 13 forwards.  

Are you allowed 22 skaters there as opposed to 20?  

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think collectively Tryamkin, Brisebois and Rafferty can replace both Tanev and Stecher.  We don't have the cap space to keep Tanev and Stecher, which would cost us upwards of $9 million next year.  Rafferty at $700k is already better than Stecher offensively, he just needs to work on his defensive game.  We also have the option to re-sign Fatenberg, so Rafferty could in essence be our 7th D and you play Benn on the right side with Fatenberg next year.  Rafferty comes in and out of the lineup to provide offence.  That can make up for losing Tanev.  And it would be a lot cheaper to re-sign Fatenberg than Tanev.  As a matter of fact, Fatenberg, Tryamkin, Rafferty and Brisbois combined would be less of a cap hit than keeping Tanev.

At the end of the day if we can turn Demko and Stecher + into a top 6 forward and integrate our younger D into the lineup to replace Tanev and Stecher and eventually Edler and Benn then that is the long term plan for Benning and the right one for future success as it would eliminate any cap issues and it would get all our young prospects into the lineup.

The unknown is whether Tryamkin can be a 2RD. Do you gamble on that? Many of your points are bang on. Fantenberg has surprised me as he as played 2LD. Since my timeline is 3 years out and because of CAP issues I think Benning has to gamble. Fans are talking about letting Tanev and Stecher walk as UFA's. If they are not in the plans you have to move them if possible. There should be a market for both.

If you move Demko who backs up Markstrom? Dipietro needs more time in Utica. Does Demko and Stecher get you a top 6 player which works with a 3 year timeline? 

Another aspect of all these factors is the overall attractiveness of UFA's signing in Vancouver. Petey and Hughes could have a comparable attraction like McDavid has in Edmonton. Van is on the rise and many players will want to jump on the bandwagon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pure speculation.

Posters said the same about Edler....that he would get 5 or 6 years at 6-7 million per. That didn't happen.

I will let the pros get it done.

Tanev is head and shoulders better than tryamkin. We already know that.

I agree. Tanev when healthy is a top three defenceman on almost any team. For me personally, I would give up Tanev to sign Tryamkin (only on 5 year deal minimum). Keep in mind I would rather keep both of them and have Stecher walk.

Maybe it’s me over valuing Tryamkin but I’m Okay with that.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The unknown is whether Tryamkin can be a 2RD. Do you gamble on that? Many of your points are bang on. Fantenberg has surprised me as he as played 2LD. Since my timeline is 3 years out and because of CAP issues I think Benning has to gamble. Fans are talking about letting Tanev and Stecher walk as UFA's. If they are not in the plans you have to move them if possible. There should be a market for both.

If you move Demko who backs up Markstrom? Dipietro needs more time in Utica. Does Demko and Stecher get you a top 6 player which works with a 3 year timeline? 

Another aspect of all these factors is the overall attractiveness of UFA's signing in Vancouver. Petey and Hughes could have a comparable attraction like McDavid has in Edmonton. Van is on the rise and many players will want to jump on the bandwagon. 

It's a gamble with Tryamkin but you have to take the gamble at this point.  If you keep Tanev around long term it disrupts the cap and it also takes a spot away from a young prospect.  We had this issue last year with Edler, luckily he only signed for 2 years and we ended up needing him as Juolevi went down with another injury.  I don't think Tanev is going to re-sign for only 2 years, that is the main problem as he is only 30 years old and this will most likely be his last contract, so he will go for the big payday.  If Tryamkin comes back and Juolevi doesn't get injured again and Brisebois and Rafferty keep improving then we are in better shape next year to lose a veteran then we would have been this year.  Plus Fatenberg looks like a player you can keep around and move up and down the lineup so re-signing him will be a lot cheaper and give us even more depth for next year.

In terms of a backup for Marky, if you trade Demko most likely the other team will want to send a goalie the other way so it would have to be a package deal where we get a goalie in return in the deal who can be a stopgap until DiPietro is ready.  It's not that I want to trade Demko but if Marky signs long term here which I think he will then I'm sure Demko would want to move on and we need to get something of quality back, so packaging him with Stecher and maybe another prospect to get a top 6 forward makes sense as Leivo will most likely be gone next year and Ferland may still be on LTIR so there will be an opening in the top 6 that will need to be filled.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Let's face it guys the canucks have experience playing withhout Chris Tanev. The key is whether Tryamkin can play 2RD on a CUP contender. If Benning thinks so then move Tanev. How much is Rafferty a gamble at 3RD? His offence can potentially put him on the 2PP. Exciting.

What if he doesn't work out? Move Fantenberg to 3LD and Benn over to 3RD. Brisbois is another who could be brought up. I am impressed by how well Fantenberg has played. Another point I would make is re-signing Edler on a year to year basis after his contract is up. I prefer his vet presence over Tanev. 

That's a very good point.  We've played year after year for long stretches without Tanev but people want to al of a sudden sign him to a long term deal at age 30 because he is playing well this year.  Myers has a lot to do with Tanev playing better and not getting injured as Myers has taken up a lot of the big minutes that Tanev would normally have played this year.  So that is why it is safer to let go of Tanev next year versus in prior years as we have Myers now who can play big minutes on the right side.  

Like you Boud’s,  I think Tanev is the one to move in February..  I can not see signing him at anything over 5mil per regardless.. i think  a player who can not give you consistent 70 game seasons should not make over 5.5mil per unless they are giving you 35-40 point seasons.

Perhaps Tanev returns a good prospect, and or, 3rd or 2nd rnd pick.

The latest Hall trade will push other teams to get creative as we move closer to the playoffs,  lots of teams like ours making the push,. And yes , we can survive without Tanev.

i have no doubt that Tryamkin will, after 1 more complete season in the NHL, be a legit 2nd pairing D man.. and probably given a lot of that opportunity in his next full season. 

He is a beast who’s game excels on the N/A ice.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a very good point.  We've played year after year for long stretches without Tanev but people want to al of a sudden sign him to a long term deal at age 30 because he is playing well this year.  Myers has a lot to do with Tanev playing better and not getting injured as Myers has taken up a lot of the big minutes that Tanev would normally have played this year.  So that is why it is safer to let go of Tanev next year versus in prior years as we have Myers now who can play big minutes on the right side.  

Time will tell if that is the route Benning takes. I simply cannot get over the idea of signing Tanev if any kind of term. There is so much talent waiting in the wings. I keep Edler because of his all around game and then re-sign him on 1 year deals. Edler and Myers are my vet transition d-men. Get a big Tryamkin in the line up and it changes the Van back end big time.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Like you Boud’s,  I think Tanev is the one to move in February..  I can not see signing him at anything over 5mil per regardless.. i think  a player who can not give you consistent 70 game seasons should not make over 5.5mil per unless they are giving you 35-40 point seasons.

Perhaps Tanev returns a good prospect, and or, 3rd or 2nd rnd pick.

The latest Hall trade will push other teams to get creative as we move closer to the playoffs,  lots of teams like ours making the push,. And yes , we can survive without Tanev.

i have no doubt that Tryamkin will, after 1 more complete season in the NHL, be a legit 2nd pairing D man.. and probably given a lot of that opportunity in his next full season. 

He is a beast who’s game excels on the N/A ice.

Now how would I have ever guessed that you would have a positive twist on Tryamkin? Sam you have been consistent on Tryamkin for over 2 years now. ::D I think it is the move to make as well. 3 years out we have a pretty solid d-core. Hughes can bump Edler's TOI down and the d-core depth can jocky for 5 & 6. Rafferty surprises and we will really be laughing. TOI is NHL currency and it has to be spent on a 3yr time frame.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Tryamkin came back the best D-core next year would be.

Edler-Myers

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin-Rafferty

Benn

The following year with Edler and Benn gone would be.

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Myers

Juolevi-Rafferty

Brisebois

I really don't get how people think some of these young defenseman can just come in and make up for the loss of Tanev and Edler moving forward when they'd be rookies, maybe sophomores(if they get some time this year) or haven't played in the NHL in a long time in Tryamkin's case. Way too much faith in the young guys too early. Defenseman have a harder adjusting period unless you're someone like Makar or Hughes who are used in more of a offensive role and are elite that way.

Cap won't be a problem moving forward. We could make moves. Sutter/Pearson/Benn/Baer will be on expiring years next year and I see a market for a few of them. Maybe Eriksson retires?

Why are you writing Edler off in a couple of years? He signed a 2 year deal to help us with the expansion and for dollars that were below expected. Worst case is he dips a bit in production into a top 4 dman rather than top pairing guy, that is still valuable. With Hughes and potentially Juolevi on the left side, we will need his experience and ability to take on the top PK duties. Juolevi is being groomed, but I don't think he's going to be ready to take over in a couple of years. We have Brisebois as LD "Tanev" should Edler get hit with an injury. IMO, we will be re-signing Edler on a year by year basis or give him a 3 year deal at hopefully reasonable dollars and then go year by year. The 7th/8th dmen will likely be the Fantenberg types, so if he's okay with that role, then he stays, but we also could give that role to someone like Sautner who I'm sure is willing to accept the paycheque to sit in the pressbox and be ready to go.

So how he will fit into your future lineup is that Tryamkin can play RD and I think prefers it, which pretty much bumps out Tanev (mostly for cap reasons). If we can open up cap space to allow us to also re-sign Tanev, that would be huge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Oh I understand that, but as I said that will be the first move JB will make and indicate he intendeds to add NT. Currently they have only 47 of their 50 total in use. When JB activates his option to move NT from the reserve list to the contract list. However correct  me if I'm wrong but apart from injuries are  they not limited to recall to the working roster  3 choices ??

sure you would have to remain compliant with the 50 man roster and cap space requirements as well. So someone would have to be moved and/or LTIR would have to be there to bring Nik in for the playoffs, or earlier. But maybe, it would be great to have the big guy back. 

I don't see the roster spot as a big deal, I don't think we're going to be making many moves anyway. Due to the lack of cap space any trades we make will require moving a player and salary out anyway. 

The most likely scenario I see is Jim moving Stecher to make room for Nik. The salary will likely be similar, the pairing and minutes at least initially with Benn makes some sense too until Nik learns the coaching expectations. But who knows, it could be Benn as well that gets moved. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Now how would I have ever guessed that you would have a positive twist on Tryamkin? Sam you have been consistent on Tryamkin for over 2 years now. ::D I think it is the move to make as well. 3 years out we have a pretty solid d-core. Hughes can bump Edler's TOI down and the d-core depth can jocky for 5 & 6. Rafferty surprises and we will really be laughing. TOI is NHL currency and it has to be spent on a 3yr time frame.

YES.   I enjoy every aspect of his game.

but The 2nd clip just proves to me how much he has matured, and mentally prepared for the physical NHL..

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 2

So, as I see it, we have no #1 RHD, but at present we have various carnations of 3/4 RHD, the list is as follows...……….in order

1. Tanev

2. Myers

3. Tryamkin

4. Rafferty

5. Benn

6. Stectcher

7. Woo

Albeit, a speculative ranking, as Tryamkin, Rafferty, and Woo have not played in the NHL, I think safe to say, that if loosing Tanev happened, that 2 or 3 could replace Tanev.

I guess the question for me is, when considering cap issues, depth, and the other budget demands, and Tanev's injury history.

Is it prudent to re-sign Tanev long term, and  jam up our RHD natural progression, over moving him and recovering asset, and protecting other positional assets? 

It is certainly  with some risk, but to me there are others, that can step in and take Tanev's minutes (Stetcher has done it 2 years running), and this is no slight on Chris Tanev

as he has played very well this season, and stayed healthy, but can we really look other places in our lineup to shed cap and adequately replace the hole made.\ by moving

Tanev? 

Long term, my concern is getting a #1 or 2 RHD, which at this point and time, appears we do not have. What would you pay for one?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I thought Nik is a lefty.  Green seems to like players to play on their strong side.  Merry Christmas to ya'll.

Tryamkin a LH player but played every game on the right side for Vcr and as I understand that is his preferred spot. Green is prefers left's on the left side etc and only switchs when injuries dictate or of course the PP

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Close your eyes.  Then imagine having a 6’7” 260 pound defenceman who can literally pick players up and throw them to the ice. Imagine if he could rag doll guys that are 240 pounds. Imagine if he could skate as well as most of our forwards. Imagine if he has a blazing shot from the point. Imagine if he plays better on the smaller ice surface because of his size. Imagine if he is a bigger and better version of Nikita Zadorov. 

Then open your eyes. And here he is. In a Vancouver uniform, playing with Quinn Hughes.  And his name is Nikita Tryamkin. 

:wub:

And does he have an ox called Blue?

• Haha 3