The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Close your eyes.  Then imagine having a 6’7” 260 pound defenceman who can literally pick players up and throw them to the ice. Imagine if he could rag doll guys that are 240 pounds. Imagine if he could skate as well as most of our forwards. Imagine if he has a blazing shot from the point. Imagine if he plays better on the smaller ice surface because of his size. Imagine if he is a bigger and better version of Nikita Zadorov. 

Then open your eyes. And here he is. In a Vancouver uniform, playing with Quinn Hughes.  And his name is Nikita Tryamkin. 

:wub:

Nice visual, but I think Zadorov is about the level we should hope to expect, not necessarily better. They were a pair in juniors and Zadorov was considered the "#1" at that time.

Edited by theo5789

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Zadorov is a good comparable, especially when you consider that he's a bottom pairing guy.

Zadorov is averaging 19 minutes a game this season and 3rd on the defense in even strength time, so yeah.....

Edited by theo5789
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Why are you writing Edler off in a couple of years? He signed a 2 year deal to help us with the expansion and for dollars that were below expected. Worst case is he dips a bit in production into a top 4 dman rather than top pairing guy, that is still valuable. With Hughes and potentially Juolevi on the left side, we will need his experience and ability to take on the top PK duties. Juolevi is being groomed, but I don't think he's going to be ready to take over in a couple of years. We have Brisebois as LD "Tanev" should Edler get hit with an injury. IMO, we will be re-signing Edler on a year by year basis or give him a 3 year deal at hopefully reasonable dollars and then go year by year. The 7th/8th dmen will likely be the Fantenberg types, so if he's okay with that role, then he stays, but we also could give that role to someone like Sautner who I'm sure is willing to accept the paycheque to sit in the pressbox and be ready to go.

So how he will fit into your future lineup is that Tryamkin can play RD and I think prefers it, which pretty much bumps out Tanev (mostly for cap reasons). If we can open up cap space to allow us to also re-sign Tanev, that would be huge.

There is just way too much faith in the young guys making not only an immediate impact but a great one at that. You don’t make moves based on what could happen. You always make contingencies. Tanev would be that stop gap for the youth and the contingency. These guys won’t be impact players in 2 years it takes time. Defenseman take a while for a reason unless you’re a Hughes, Dahlin or Makar Elite level D. 

Edler is gonna be 35 when his contract is up. Retirement is not outside the realm of possibility there and regression is imminent. Tanev would be more valuable than Edler just due to the fact that we’re gonna get more good years out of Tanev. Also we have more depth on the left side with Brisebois and Juolevi possibly becoming regulars in 2 years. If Tryamkin comes back next year he’ll have a year to readjust to the NHL before taking Edlers responsibilities after he is gone if Tryamkin comes back. He’ll probably make an impact sooner than the rest. 

If we lose Tanev next year and replace him with younger players we are gonna be a worse team for it short term. If these guys really aren’t ready it’ll be rough. That isn’t a good idea. We’re trying to make the playoffs. I really don’t want to give up a lotto pick to TBL and want to get our young stars some playoff experience this early in their careers. 

Tanev is one of our more valuable players. What he brings can’t so easily be replaced. You can state names but no one really knows how these young guys will play and whether or not they can handle that sort of responsibility Tanev does on a daily basis. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There is just way too much faith in the young guys making not only an immediate impact but a great one at that. You don’t make moves based on what could happen. You always make contingencies. Tanev would be that stop gap for the youth and the contingency. These guys won’t be impact players in 2 years it takes time. Defenseman take a while for a reason unless you’re a Hughes, Dahlin or Makar Elite level D. 

Edler is gonna be 35 when his contract is up. Retirement is not outside the realm of possibility there and regression is imminent. Tanev would be more valuable than Edler just due to the fact that we’re gonna get more good years out of Tanev. Also we have more depth on the left side with Brisebois and Juolevi possibly becoming regulars in 2 years. If Tryamkin comes back next year he’ll have a year to readjust to the NHL before taking Edlers responsibilities after he is gone if Tryamkin comes back. He’ll probably make an impact sooner than the rest. 

If we lose Tanev next year and replace him with younger players we are gonna be a worse team for it short term. If these guys really aren’t ready it’ll be rough. That isn’t a good idea. We’re trying to make the playoffs. I really don’t want to give up a lotto pick to TBL and want to get our young stars some playoff experience this early in their careers. 

Tanev is one of our more valuable players. What he brings can’t so easily be replaced. You can state names but no one really knows how these young guys will play and whether or not they can handle that sort of responsibility Tanev does on a daily basis. 

Some contradiction here. You've suggested that we have more depth on the left side, but that goes against what you're suggesting that there is too much faith in the young guys (or the unknown if you will). Just because Edler is 35 doesn't mean it's a sure thing he will regress to the point where he can't be impactful. In some instances, players (mostly dmen in fact) have gotten better with age or at least have remained consistent, so this is also an unknown. Of course everything is unknown until it is and it won't happen until you give your players a chance and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Tanev as well, but the cap space is going to make it hard. If we can make room, then great. If not, then we need to look for an alternative. Tryamkin is the closest thing to replacing a Tanev than anyone we have to replace Edler (Tryamkin may be left handed, but has play RD for pretty much his career including his short time with us). Tryamkin is 25 and turns 26 next year, so he's no spring chicken. Hopefully he can get here this season, so we can get a look and make a decision. It would also help with our attempt to make the playoffs this year and have a relatively deeper team to push that 1st into the 20s hopefully which would mitigate any concern for the following year and the minimal chance that we give up a "winning" lotto pick.

I just don't think it's that simple to write off someone like Edler who clearly wants to be a career Canuck and is willing to do what it takes for Vancouver. If he can still play at 35, there is no reason we don't bring him back on and we don't really have anyone that can take his duties either in the meantime. I predict Edler has at least 4 more years after this current contract of respectable play unless he gets forced off the team by better talent.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Some contradiction here. You've suggested that we have more depth on the left side, but that goes against what you're suggesting that there is too much faith in the young guys (or the unknown if you will). Just because Edler is 35 doesn't mean it's a sure thing he will regress to the point where he can't be impactful. In some instances, players (mostly dmen in fact) have gotten better with age or at least have remained consistent, so this is also an unknown. Of course everything is unknown until it is and it won't happen until you give your players a chance and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Tanev as well, but the cap space is going to make it hard. If we can make room, then great. If not, then we need to look for an alternative. Tryamkin is the closest thing to replacing a Tanev than anyone we have to replace Edler (Tryamkin may be left handed, but has play RD for pretty much his career including his short time with us). Tryamkin is 25 and turns 26 next year, so he's no spring chicken. Hopefully he can get here this season, so we can get a look and make a decision. It would also help with our attempt to make the playoffs this year and have a relatively deeper team to push that 1st into the 20s hopefully which would mitigate any concern for the following year and the minimal chance that we give up a "winning" lotto pick.

I just don't think it's that simple to write off someone like Edler who clearly wants to be a career Canuck and is willing to do what it takes for Vancouver. If he can still play at 35, there is no reason we don't bring him back on and we don't really have anyone that can take his duties either in the meantime. I predict Edler has at least 4 more years after this current contract of respectable play unless he gets forced off the team by better talent.

I am mostly presuming with Edler as are people with Tryamkin, Rafferty and others. Players tend to regress with age. It’s a fact. Some don’t as much but more do than don’t so you have to play it by the odds. As you say nobody knows that’s why I’d rather be safe than sorry. We could make room moving Benn, Pearson, and/or Sutter since it’ll be easier on expiring contracts. Baer will be a lot easier to move with 1 year left too. It’s really not impossible. 

Since these entire arguments are based off of presumption we could argue that Eriksson could retire. Would be a blessing if he did. 

In terms of my contradictions you’re not seeing what I was implying that would counter act it. Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I should of been. We got way more LH talent. If Tryamkin came back he’d be on the 3rd pair for a year which would allow him to adjust back into the NHL. With Edler gone the next year he could possibly step into a top 4 role and then we would have Juolevi/Brisebois/etc step into that top 6 role. It would be the perfect scenario. As Juolevi or someone steps up and can handle top 4 move Tanev(Unless his contract expires) or Myers(if you can) then slot Tryamkin on the right side. 

Point being. We ice the best d-core we can while injecting youth on a yearly basis while being able to allow them to adjust so that they can take over eventually. People just want to go night to day and think that these guys are gonna step in like Hughes just on the opposite side of the spectrum and be able to check the leagues best players without the thought of them not panning out or struggling to adjust and adapt to the NHL. 

It’s senseless not to have a contingency If things don’t pan out. Tanev should be that for us. Rather sign him cheaper than a random UFA that would be much more overpriced if things didn’t work out. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/22/2019 at 1:24 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. Stated that prior to finding that out about Leivo. 

Harder to predict Baer. People dont want him now but could take a flyer if circumstances changed for them like injuries. 

I agree, injuries change a team’s context and can open spots they didn’t anticipate - especially as the near the trade deadline and are looking at a battle for a playoff spot - they might want a proven vet in that instance over bringing up an untried prospect.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am mostly presuming with Edler as are people with Tryamkin, Rafferty and others. Players tend to regress with age. It’s a fact. Some don’t as much but more do than don’t so you have to play it by the odds. As you say nobody knows that’s why I’d rather be safe than sorry. We could make room moving Benn, Pearson, and/or Sutter since it’ll be easier on expiring contracts. Baer will be a lot easier to move with 1 year left too. It’s really not impossible. 

Since these entire arguments are based off of presumption we could argue that Eriksson could retire. Would be a blessing if he did. 

In terms of my contradictions you’re not seeing what I was implying that would counter act it. Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I should of been. We got way more LH talent. If Tryamkin came back he’d be on the 3rd pair for a year which would allow him to adjust back into the NHL. With Edler gone the next year he could possibly step into a top 4 role and then we would have Juolevi/Brisebois/etc step into that top 6 role. It would be the perfect scenario. As Juolevi or someone steps up and can handle top 4 move Tanev(Unless his contract expires) or Myers(if you can) then slot Tryamkin on the right side. 

Point being. We ice the best d-core we can while injecting youth on a yearly basis while being able to allow them to adjust so that they can take over eventually. People just want to go night to day and think that these guys are gonna step in like Hughes just on the opposite side of the spectrum and be able to check the leagues best players without the thought of them not panning out or struggling to adjust and adapt to the NHL. 

It’s senseless not to have a contingency If things don’t pan out. Tanev should be that for us. Rather sign him cheaper than a random UFA that would be much more overpriced if things didn’t work out. 

I would love to have Tanev sign a cheap contract to stay here, but if that's the contingency plan, then it's not much of one. We will see how loyal he is to the team, but I find it unlikely that he's going to low-ball himself to stay.

Tryamkin while left handed has always played on the right side. I don't expect that to change if/when he returns.

I think Edler stays longer than Tanev does, but we will see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

If Tryamkin comes back to VAN I think he'll end up being a top-4 shutdown D man (which is one of our biggest needs).

Can you explain why you think that?  
He isn’t that now, in a lesser league, and is starting to get out of the ‘prospect’ age.  

17 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He isn’t that now, in a lesser league, and is starting to get out of the ‘prospect’ age.  

You could argue he's #1 or #2 on Avto so I don't know what you mean there. Defense 1st players don't put up the points, but they are just as valuable. Edler and Tanev were a very effective pairing for several years and Tanev didn't score much in those years. At the end of this season or next I'd like to see

Edler Rafferty

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Myers

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Yes he is.. in the next best professional league to the NHL..  “prospect age”,.perhaps.  ...but coming into his prime.

• Upvote 2

Tryamkin is clearly a 3rd pairing D man in the NHL.

However, I suggest the following course of action:

1. JB calls Tryamkin and gets him to agree to come over at the end of the KHL season.

2. Tryamkin agrees to take MMA 3 days a week.

3. Tryamkin gets paid 7 million per year to knock the sh&% out of players like Caps Wilson and Oils Kassian/Nurse.

4. Canucks win cups.

....just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Tryamkin is clearly a 3rd pairing D man in the NHL.

However, I suggest the following course of action:

1. JB calls Tryamkin and gets him to agree to come over at the end of the KHL season.

2. Tryamkin agrees to take MMA 3 days a week.

3. Tryamkin gets paid 7 million per year to knock the sh&% out of players like Caps Wilson and Oils Kassian/Nurse.

4. Canucks win cups.

....just a thought.

What makes him clearly a 3rd pairing dman in the NHL?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Tryamkin brings something Myers needs help with. Clearance of the crease and help stopping opponent cycle. Fantenburgh is helpful but no offense to Huggy/Stech/Tanev but the big and aggressive opponent forwards are not intimidated by them. The recent games where we have allowed 5 or 6 goals shows we need help putting out tire fires. Calling Tryamkin a top 4 or bottom pairing is purely semantics. Our D needs reinforcements Tanev and Edler won't last the whole season. Stecher and Hughes are not intended as shut down types. Benn is better than what we had last year but Fantenburgh hits harder. Tryamkin will come in and continue where he left off when he was here. As a shutdown D man. But he comes back knowing that it's not only whistle to whistle but prepared for the weak ass chippy stuff in the scrums. I'm sure he'll be game. He's shown flashes of it in the KHL but it's not as necessary as here

ps that poke check he has is still amazing.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, drummerboy said:

He is currently being used as a shutdown Dman, leading his team in ice time while also leading his team's D in plus minus. Can you explain why you would state "he isn't that now" ? Because I see no facts at all that support your position.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He is currently being used as a shutdown Dman, leading his team in ice time while also leading his team's D in plus minus. Can you explain why you would state "he isn't that now" ? Because I see no facts at all that support your position.

Tryamkin is not leading his team in ice time for a D.  However, it is very close.

Vasilevsky  19:58

Tryamkin  20:04

Gurkin 18:52

Bodrov 20:27

Mamkin 18:59

Vishnexsky 16:54

Batyrshin 16:14

Berezin 17:17

So the top 5 D all play very similar ice times.

22 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Tryamkin is not leading his team in ice time for a D.  However, it is very close.

Vasilevsky  19:58

Tryamkin  20:04

Gurkin 18:52

Bodrov 20:27

Mamkin 18:59

Vishnexsky 16:54

Batyrshin 16:14

Berezin 17:17

So the top 5 D all play very similar ice times.

But Tryamkin gets the tougher match ups and is ALWAYS on the first PK. First over the boards when short handed.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2